How many insure their cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":36gdb838 said:
Limomike, could you explain why or how the FSA sould pay for cows that have been struck by lighting.

Here's the link.
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/newsRelease ... n_lip.html

All I know is about 4 or 5 years ago, we had lightening kill one cow, found her laying by a tree, with burn marks, and the tree had been struck. Took photos, and turned it all in. got a check for around $1000 for her.

I don't. Rustling isn't a big thing here. Like some others, lightning is what i think about.

Limomike":qj8c062o said:
highgrit":qj8c062o said:
Limomike, could you explain why or how the FSA sould pay for cows that have been struck by lighting.

Here's the link.

All I know is about 4 or 5 years ago, we had lightening kill one cow, found her laying by a tree, with burn marks, and the tree had been struck. Took photos, and turned it all in. got a check for around $1000 for her.
We got some payments for calf losses during ice storm. Never considered lightning.

tom4018":1mfa151f said:
Limomike":1mfa151f said:
highgrit":1mfa151f said:

Here's the link.

We got some payments for calf losses during ice storm. Never considered lightning.

I can't say I've ever heard of major cattle losses from lightning. Usually a single animal here or there.

I don't know anyone who insures cattle for storm loss, but it certainly would have paid for some during Atlas about a year ago.

I worry about lightning. I would like to freeze brand. In regard to insurance, I talked to my State Farm agent and there were so many loopholes in the coverage, it seemed like fool's gold. You may buy some peace of mind but when you file a claim, you are likely to be disappointed.

inyati13":2ru0s43z said:
I worry about lightning. I would like to freeze brand. In regard to insurance, I talked to my State Farm agent and there were so many loopholes in the coverage, it seemed like fool's gold. You may buy some peace of mind but when you file a claim, you are likely to be disappointed.
The trouble with branding here in KY is the salebarns don't check, so if they hauled them to another part of the state and sold the next day I doubt they would get caught.

inyati13":1w990rsx said:

A freeze brand is not legal ID in SD. Have no idea about other states.

John SD":3ins7gep said:
I can't say I've ever heard of major cattle losses from lightning. Usually a single animal here or there. .

It is rare. I remember back in the 80s. however, the front page of our little newspaper had a picture of around 30 cows lying dead under a huge tree after a lightning strike. I don't remember specifics, but I always remember the incident and picture in general.

Instead of insuring the whole herd, I insure 5. They are not insured by individual but if one or up to five get struck by lightning I'm covered. Very low odds one would lose an entire herd.

inyati13":3mc056zb said:

Please leave state farm immediately they are crooks

I insure my cattle for lighting but in all likelihood it's more a peace of mind than anything. I do think that setting up some hidden game cameras close to your catch pen is a good idea. It would not keep them from being stolen but would give you some good evidence to locate the thieves.

KW

jerrybyrddog":3nel3qxp said:
Instead of insuring the whole herd, I insure 5. They are not insured by individual but if one or up to five get struck by lightning I'm covered. Very low odds one would lose an entire herd.

The co-insurance clause in every livestock policy I have seen will lower your payout to nearly nothing if you have many more than that 5 head and are honest. If you have them specifically described like I do our bulls then they don't count towards the herd's numbers and values.

I know in Texas that it is hard to rustle cattle and get away with it. The Texas Rangers get involved immediately and they are pretty thorough. Also the Sale barns must identify any and all brands on the cattle and then require driver's license to get paid. Unless they drive them out of state which most rustlers are not smart enough to do, the Rangers generally catch them at the sale barn or shortly there after. Still doesn't get your cows back but they generally catch them in Texas. If a rustler was smart, they would catch a herd, haul them out of state and keep them and just sell the calves. Rustlers are not a smart bunch of guys to begin with. They are lazy which is why they generally get caught!

I am sure you could mount security cameras on your gate and catch pens and view via wifi. Not sure of the cost to send wifi all the time and how long they can record without being recorded over.

I know a guy here that lost 7 in a lightning storm earlier this year. All bred cows. That's a pretty big loss with prices like they are. Also know someone who lost a large number of sheep a couple years ago under one tree.

Country Companies is who we know and trust around these parts. They are way ahead of the pack, very diverse and competitive in so many different areas of insurance.

Latest posts