How Many Have Old Anvils?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Have a couple of old ones I've picked up through the years.

I hear their value is going up? Anyone know?

MikeC":29z20jn3 said:

If you got a bunch China will take em. Then send you a John Deere in return! :lol:

My Dad had one, they sold it in a barn sale about 5 years before I decided to go farm. Also had one of the big grinding wheels, I haven't seen one in years, the stone itself would be like 3 feet diameter by 2 feet thick. I forget how it was driven.

I wouldn't leave those anvils laying around the way the metal vulchers are these days.

my folks have one on the fireplace hearth. holds the screen up.

MikeC":1k40ypx0 said:

I don't know what old anvils are going for but my uncle has one of my great grandpa's anvils somewhere (ggrandpa was a part time blacksmith). This anvil has a hole bored in the top. It was ggrandpa's shooting anvil. I wonder how many folks are familiar with the term "shooting the anvil" nowadays?

From what I have read, most of the old anvils here were made in England because there were few iron/steel smelters here.

They brought them over in the hull of ships for ballast, then hauled a load of cotton back.

Many have dates and makers name written on the sides.

One of mine is an 1837 model.

Grandfather had an old anvil but my Dad sold all of his smithing/farrier stuff soon as he passed away.

I tried to buy one off a boy the other day. He wanted 350.00. I know they bring top $ at farm and estate sales, for the USA made ones.

They used to go for about a dollar a pound at farm sales around here, but the last three I saw sell, all brought $2+ per pound.

milesvb":1qpsnezc said:
MikeC":1qpsnezc said:

I don't know what old anvils are going for but my uncle has one of my great grandpa's anvils somewhere (ggrandpa was a part time blacksmith). This anvil has a hole bored in the top. It was ggrandpa's shooting anvil. I wonder how many folks are familiar with the term "shooting the anvil" nowadays?

Just make sure you watch it so it does not land on you

jeff

Got one. Don't know how old it is but it is OLD. My old (um studly) back don't like to pick it much any more.

I have one that was my grandfather's , it probably was old when he got it . It's in my shop and I still use it. I still have his blacksmith forge but I never used that.

hurleyjd":imvg1zn3 said:
MikeC":imvg1zn3 said:

Here is a website about anviles that might be interesting.
http://www.blackiron.us/anvil-types.html
Also there are sime new anvils for sell ie 400 $1100 out on the web.

Thanks. Good info.

Mike -
Those are virtually worthless and will only serve as toe stumpers every time you get near it. I would be willing to take 'em off your hands if you'd throw in a few melons to 'sweeten' the deal. I think Crowder can transport for me since I'm a little busy right now.

BB

I have one of my grandpa's small anvils. It is a 100 pounder.
He was a blacksmith and had them in different sizes. I don't know how old it is, or what it is worth now, but you can bet he didn't buy it new.
The markings are worn off but I can make out "ack".
J.D.

milesvb":apscaq80 said:
MikeC":apscaq80 said:

I have a 70 pounder that belonged to my dad. Shooting the anvil was the highlight every new years eve.

milesvb":fh3tr5ta said:
MikeC":fh3tr5ta said:

We have a "peanut festival" in Jay every year just after harvest is over and there are two separate guys (one from here in the panhandle, and one from Alabama) who come down every year and have a shoot off. All the people from Pensacola are amazed and have never heard of anvil shooting, but they all seem to love it and many return each year with friends just to watch the anvils fly.

Latest posts