How many coats of paint....

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":ycqld05i said:
Alan":ycqld05i said:
:lol: :lol: Red would not be my first choice in any room. Soon after my first wife and I were married, in the early 80's, I learned she needed to change room colors about every 15 minutes. Being the good new husband I helped paint and paint and paint and.... Paint. Then when she informed me of her latest color plan I just smiled and said have fun.... I think she understood.

An Oregon Ducks fan I presume.......different color scheme each week....

:lol: :lol: back in those days the Ducks where strictly green and yellow, thank goodness I don't remember her doing a dark green room. Although I do seem to remember a pastel yellow a time or two.

Claire, after further thought why don't you go out and find yourself two young Cowboys and recruit their help, I wouldn't mention the red light in the puppy room. :lol: Play dumb, which you are clearly not, and get them to do the room to completion. When it's done to your satisfaction get excited and say "I think my fiancé is going to love this surprise when he arrives tonight!" Thank you good bye!

Well it's just a thought :hide:

My buddy and his wife had a dark blue room with the lower half in floral print wallpaper with a six inch matching boarder around the top. She watched some home improvement show that told her we could paint over the wallpaper to. We painted and painted and painted. About four coats in we got the blue paint covered up pretty well but you could still see the floral print when they sold the place a few years later.
In one of the other rooms she wanted us to paint and then she was going to hang a wallpaper boarder around the top so my buddy and I found a place that would custom design wallpaper and got her a couple of rolls of border that said "AS SEEN ON TV!" over and over again... She didn't think it was very funny.

Haha Jo. You know if I thought I could get away with it I might, but I have so many entertaining guy stories from the last four months of living in this area - and that's not even counting the ones from work, where I work with 200 Hispanic guys, who tell me I should get a Hispanic boyfriend so I'll learn to speak Spanish better - that I'm not sure even the "fiance" line would get me out of the future texts of poetry that should never be published, lengthy explanations of the previous text (neither of which should have been sent), invites to "hang out," or drive out to the dairy where the guy picks up milk and talk while the truck gets filled, or camping in the mountains, or requests to look at the sick dog who mysteriously can't be found when I show up ("I don't know Doc, he usually shows up about this time every day..."). :lol: And the last cowboy I met in this area - granted it was at a dance after a rodeo, but he was sober and he does compete at the NFR level - I had to tell in the first 15 seconds on the dance floor to get his hands off my butt. :eek: I wasn't this popular in college, it's plenty fun but I think I'll paint this place myself. LOL.

Back to painting.... the current paint isn't glossy or have a sheen to it. Looks like cheap red stuff. I'm going to need to patch the myriad of nail holes in the wall also (it just gets better and better, doesn't it?); will primer go over spackling or do I put the primer first and then the spackling and then the paint?

Spackle first then once it's dry, sand it down, wipe off spackle residue, wipe down walls, prime, paint.

Also I disagree a wee bit with one of the posters above re doing the trim first and letting it get on the walls. If you are doing the trim in a glossier sheen, I would do it after the walls, or else be careful and don't let the higher-sheen trim paint get on the walls (it won't cover over well).
my :2cents:

And it sounds like you are doing a grand job handling those cowpokes! :lol2:

Do you know if the previous owners had a teenage daughter living in the house? Abundance of holes sounds like a teenage girls room with a lot of boy band posters on the walls.

On the Kilz recommendation about not using the original oil based formula, DONT DO IT. However, there is an oil based "odorless" formula that I have used recently to seal some flooring and it was good. Still had a LITTLE odor, but no where near the original formula. I turned the fan on in each room and closed the bedrooms doors to let it dry. Each room had a window, so I just opened the window to let it vent out. Very good results with it.

If your room has the odor of Kilz or any other product, you can remove it quickly with an air ionizer. Usually close up the room overnight and the odor is gone by morning.

MudHog":blp73wow said:
Do you know if the previous owners had a teenage daughter living in the house? Abundance of holes sounds like a teenage girls room with a lot of boy band posters on the walls.

There's a thought!

Actually all I know - per the neighbors - is that the last occupants had "kids" who they let run around the front yard in their birthday suits. And the mom was also spotted doing the same. :shock:

I actually live in a pretty decent neighborhood, seriously!

I think Saturday will be paint shopping day. I was hoping to make it to town today, but didn't get off work until 7....

MM, don't think it was I who suggested enlisting the help but I can only imagine the help you could enlist. My suggestion was the wine. You'll definitely need that for the trim work.

I re-did and old house years ago and had to cover up lime green. My girlfriend at the time was a decorator and she helped me pick out the colors. Hartford Peach is what she suggested. Looked good in Home Depot. She said it would highlight the furniture and all. Two coats of paint and it look PINK. Frustrated, I left and went out with the boys and did some drinking and came home and walked in the room with closed eyes then opened them hoping the dried paint would somehow resemble the Hartford Peach on the color swatch. NOPE! PINK! Bright PINK! Two coats of later the room was taupe like I wanted in the first place. So it only took me 4 coats of paint to cover lime green paint. Oh, and two bottles of bourbon.

I've since learned there are people who make their living painting. I just show them where the ice machine is and let them go at it. Its just too hard on my nerves and life's too short. For me anyway.

Latest posts