How long will hay last if kept dry?

Help Support CattleToday:

DaveM

Reaction score
There are a couple of horse stables nearby trying to get rid of square bales that have been stored inside. They want to make room for this years cut. Some of the hay is from last year and some from the year before. It looks good and I think my cows would eat it. Does it hold its nutritional value for that long? Thanks

Should be better than most "cow" hay a fella could buy fresh out of the field. The price is probably good too. I'd jump at it.

Attended an Ag. Meeting , the speaker said some barn kept hay that was 20 years old tested as if it had just been stored.

We had about 20 square bales on top of our septic to prevent it from freezing in the winter, it had some sheets of plywood over it.. it's been there for at least 10 years.. I spread it around in the corral and the cows are eating it happily

cowboy43":im5aucny said:
Attended an Ag. Meeting , the speaker said some barn kept hay that was 20 years old tested as if it had just been stored.

I read a study by one of the universities that said the same thing.

Vitamin A levels would drop over time - suspect that 10 yr old stuff is probably at 0; but digestibility and protein holds up pretty well.

If it sounds too goo to be true, it generally is. Both barns wanted $4/bale for the old hay. I can buy this years, nice heavy squares for $3.50 or $3 if I pick it up in the field. No bargin there!

Good dry barn-kept hay will outlive you with pretty much no measurable loss. That doesn't include damage from bugs or rodents though, so I'd look at it first.

Latest posts