How long to wait before assisting

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
My one heifer is calving right now. she started about 9:15pm CST. There are two legs sticking out, look like front legs. How long do you all usually wait until giving assistance??

thanks,

Tom

Cows should calve within two hours and heifers generally will not get serious about it until 2 hours after the water breaks. That being said, I have seen cows take upwards of 3 to 4 hours and heifers even more. But general rule of thumb is don't get anxious for the first two hours. :cowboy:

Ive seen cows in labour for 12 hours and still deliver a live healthy calf. Id say keep an eye on her from a distance atleast until the water breaks... as hard as we all know that is.

Nice little bull calf, sucking like a champ. Put them in the barn because its starting to rain here.

thanks for the help. Just 4 more heifers to go.

Our rule of thumb is half an hour for cows and an hour for heifers once they actively start labor. If they're making progress even if it's slow we leave them alone until the calf is born or all progress stops for those time periods.
That's about the hardest thing to do is to just wait and not get in their way or bother them.

dun":an4lvhpd said:
Our rule of thumb is half an hour for cows and an hour for heifers once they actively start labor. If they're making progress even if it's slow we leave them alone until the calf is born or all progress stops for those time periods.
That's about the hardest thing to do is to just wait and not get in their way or bother them.

I had one calve two weeks ago took 1 hour and 10 min from the time the waterbag came out. She delivered an 89lb bull calf. Now my choice for a heifer but I am thrilled with her performance.

on cows the wait time before helping them is 2 or 3hrs,unless you know there in trouble.an 3 to 4 hrs on heifer less their in trouble.but most cow/heifers can calve on their own less theres a prob.

Latest posts