How long to leave the bull in?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I want to try to get all my cows on basically the same calving schedule + or - a few weeks. I want to have fall calves and plan on turning the bull in (with 16 cows) somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. How long should I leave the bull in with the cows before pulling him to help ensure that everything gets bred? Thanks in advance,

Zach

we ran an intensive breeding system this summer half of the heifers. We have them shots of Lutalyse and had 2 bulls in there with them I'd check them morning and evening and if something was in standing heat I'd put her and one of the bulls in together and they went at it while the other bull was heat detecting for me so I could keep running the heifers through the 2 year old, he put the same amount of energy forth as he would breeding a single cow, but I'd breed 4 or more heifers a day out of the 15 with the two bulls. had no issues with it at all

I have run a fall calving season with part of my herd for years now. My bulls have been proven breeders and the cows are kept in excellent condition. My bull goes in on the 22nd of November, and is pulled out by January 22nd. That gives him 2 - 3 cycles to settle each cow, and three months to get in condition for breeding the spring calf crop. So far, all of my fall calves have been born sometime within six weeks of September 1st.

Thanks for the replies. That is about when I am looking at turning the bull in, around the end of Nov. Can you typically get by with just a four strand barbed wire fence to seperate the bull from the cows in the "off season" or is that going to give me problems?

Thanks,

Zach

Z&J Cattle":5lqzvu2t said:
Thanks for the replies. That is about when I am looking at turning the bull in, around the end of Nov. Can you typically get by with just a four strand barbed wire fence to seperate the bull from the cows in the "off season" or is that going to give me problems?

Thanks,

Zach

if the cows are bred it should be OK but you'll have issues if he gets lonely or if one come's in heat

Z&J Cattle":et9x3jaq said:

Thanks,

Zach

You will potentially have problems by separation when you have only one bovine in a pasture away from the other cattle. Doesn't matter that it is a bull. If you put one of any gender in a pasture by themself you will potentially have a problem with them tying to get back to the others. Cattle are herd animals and as such require the company of other cattle.

If you put the bull in with the cows for 45-60 days and they are all settled by then, and if you have only the one bull, why not leave him in with them? As mentioned, he will get lonely and try to get thru the fence because of the herding instinct. And, takes a great fence to deep a 1700 pound bull out with or without an unsettled cow.

groveman14":dxr8j1qj said:
If you put the bull in with the cows for 45-60 days and they are all settled by then, and if you have only the one bull, why not leave him in with them? As mentioned, he will get lonely and try to get thru the fence because of the herding instinct. And, takes a great fence to deep a 1700 pound bull out with or without an unsettled cow.

Some of the cows may have heifer calves at foot, if this is the case he will have to take the bull out or they will be bred too young.

Latest posts