How long to heal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
My month old bull calf developed a pneumonia infection about a day ago, and I gave him two shots of LA200. Does anyone know how long I should expect him to recover? That is IF he does recover.

As I'm sure others much more experienced on this board will tell you, LA200 is not the best drug for pneumonia. Excel, Naxcel, Micotil or Baytril are better choices, but all will require a vet's administration. If he's worth saving, I'd invest in a vet call.

Limomike":hnted0xs said:
My month old bull calf developed a pneumonia infection about a day ago, and I gave him two shots of LA200. Does anyone know how long I should expect him to recover? That is IF he does recover.

I would make a trip to the vet (the sooner the better) and pick up a bottle of Baytril, maybe some Flunexin, and administer according to the dosage listed. LA200 is not the most effective drug out there for treating respiratory ailments - especially pneumonia.

Thanks for the suggestions. This was the 2nd day, and he was already up on his feet, and not breathing as heavy. He even drank a whole bottle of his mama's milk that I milked from her. Tomorrow morning I am hoping he will actually nurse on his own from his mama. I will check out some of those other medicines, as I dont got to the vet much. Only in dire need. But I do like to keep a supply of medicines on hand in case of events like this.

Limomike":2els7u5j said:
Thanks for the suggestions. This was the 2nd day, and he was already up on his feet, and not breathing as heavy. He even drank a whole bottle of his mama's milk that I milked from her. Tomorrow morning I am hoping he will actually nurse on his own from his mama. I will check out some of those other medicines, as I dont got to the vet much. Only in dire need. But I do like to keep a supply of medicines on hand in case of events like this.
I have had a few boughts of pneumonia, baytril as good but draxxin is better also try nuflor and banamine is great to get him to feel better, loosen his lungs and bring down a fever, even though he looks better i wouldnt mess with it, keep treating him

Latest posts