how long milking

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":1h5ou8a7 said:
K-SHIRES":1h5ou8a7 said:
hopalong":1h5ou8a7 said:
ok rip me up!

................. If you get a SWISS, don't even try to take calf off momma or bucket train or it will end up dead.........
===========
I have heard that before...never understood the details. Please share?
Preston - Commercial Dairy farms generally remove calves from mothers and feed them with bottle for 3-10 days, then "bucket train" them to drink their milk or milk replacer.
Suffice to say the Brown Swiss calf is the most difficult of the dairy breed calves to do this with. Either through lack of intelligence or sheer stubborness, most Swiss calves will not learn to drink milk out of bucket. They will, literally die rather than drink out of bucket. For those inexperienced with Swiss, the folks who try may get frustrated and yell or holler at calf.
At this point, calf just entirely shuts down and will not eat at all! Not saying it can't be done by some lover of the breed who has hours to dilly-dally away on 1 calf, but even most Swiss farmers will just raise calf on nipple bottle till they are 350 ,lbs(3-4months) old. Pretty much want to leave them nurse mother, or bottle feed them if you have to.
Raising Brown Swiss dairy calves will take the patience of Job, duplicated 3 times per feeding. That said, if you can keep them alive, after they reach 400 lbs., they make excellent dairy stock. Big, powerful cows with lots of fat&protien. Still stubborn though. Hope this clarifies.

Was raised on a dairy farm and we took calves off of the cows about 10 days and put them on the bottle. But never had brown swiss animals.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the details.

When I raised bottle calves in Illinois, I had a Brown Swiss I bought at an auction barn.. not more than a few days old. Never had a days problem with getting her on a bottle or on a bucket after that. In fact, she made a heck of a cow for us, crossed with an Angus. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with bloodlines. Are you sure you weren't thinking about a BRAHMAN? Nothing is harder to bottle break than one of those! :cboy:

TheBullLady":149oy70z said:
When I raised bottle calves in Illinois, I had a Brown Swiss I bought at an auction barn.. not more than a few days old. Never had a days problem with getting her on a bottle or on a bucket after that. In fact, she made a heck of a cow for us, crossed with an Angus. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with bloodlines. Are you sure you weren't thinking about a BRAHMAN? Nothing is harder to bottle break than one of those! :cboy:

Glad to see I wan;t the only one that didn;t have problems. One of the dairys that was near us had mostly Brown Swiss. I'ld buy all of the bumblefooted bull calves for a dollar, get ehm going good and sell them at a couple of weeks and made darn good money on them.

dun

K-SHIRES":h8el9k81 said:
dun - did you bucket train those guys or keep them on a bottle?

Usually a bucket. Seems like they were more apt to just play and mess with a nipple.

dun

Latest posts