How long is normal for a cow to have discharge after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
How long is normal for a cow to have discharge after calving?
I have had a cow not clean very well this year and had to get the vet to treat her but now I don't know if I am being paranoid or what. I had a cow calve last week that still has some pinkish stuff coming out so I put some boluses in her and am just waiting for some estrumate as the vet said that should help.

Hunny Do Ranch":fxb2c5cp said:
How long is normal for a cow to have discharge after calving?
I have had a cow not clean very well this year and had to get the vet to treat her but now I don't know if I am being paranoid or what. I had a cow calve last week that still has some pinkish stuff coming out so I put some boluses in her and am just waiting for some estrumate as the vet said that should help.

When you say pinkish stuff, is it stringy or mucousy?

I have seen many cows pass some blood/pink tinged mucous several days even a week or so after calving. If it looks like placenta, that is another issue, but if looks more like mucous, I would say it is nothing to get overly excited about.

If you really pay attention it's not unusual for them to keep having some sort of goop off and on for a copule of weeks.

Yup. It's a question of solidity (word??). If the stuff is "goop" I don't worry about it. If there's something solid . . . I'll wait a week and hit with prostamate or lut.

Latest posts