How long for loose cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Hey all,

Our cows have been on pasture for about two weeks now and are still very loose. The pasture is an orchardgrass, clover, and weed mix but it does have a fair bit of clover. We unfortunately really didnt make a slow transition because we cut it too tight on hay this year. Do I need to introduce some roughage to help with this or do I let it go? They are no doubt putting on some pounds and getting some polish back and they do have free choice minerals and salt. Appreciate the input.

Don't know where you're located but around here time and weather takes care of it. As the grass loses feed value and begins to develop lignin manure will tighten up. What they're getting now is probably 85% water.

Thanks TB. I'm in upstate NY and to say its been a wet spring would be an understatement. Its made the orchardgrass go crazy but hasnt offered an opportunity to get any hay in. I did wonder if the higher moisture content than even normal pasture here contributed to the issue.

Hi Artesian! Looks like you are a fellow upstate NYer--maybe just a bit north and west of us. We've had the same very wet spring. Our cows have stayed fairly loose for weeks, but seem fine. They're eating everything in sight.

Boondocks,

We are up North of Syracuse. You? I've noticed in the last week or so that about half the herd is starting to firm up a little, so we must be getting some lignin in that second growth now since they are working over an area for the second time now. How's your hay season going for you with all this rain?

Hi Artesian,
It's been more mud season than hay season. We put up some new fence through some pasture (brushy stuff) that hadn't had cows on it for 20 years. A local guy rents the fields we're not using (hay, corn). The hay is high but been too wet to cut I guess?? (I'm a hay newbie, cow newbie calf newbie..but enjoying learning. Well, mostly!)

Put some very stemmy hay out for the cows (low quality stuff), if they need something to slow down the digestive tract they'll eat as much of the hay as they need, if they don't need anything to slow everything down they simply won't eat it.

Latest posts