How long does it take to wean a calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

expensive hobby

Reaction score
I just put my heifer calves in the barn yard (9 days ago) for weaning since I plan on keeping them. Normally I would keep them off of the mommas for 30 days but the weather has been quite an issue. Its been raining a ton and the barn yard is now a mud hole. The calves do have dry areas in the barn but no hay/water there. The calves have to trudge through the mud to get to hay and water and I am kind of nervous knowing that these conditions are not good for weaning. I would like to get them back out to pasture ASAP. How long does it for the mommas to dry up? The calves are on 2nd cut grass hay/grain and appear to be eating well . They seem to be healthy other than a bit of weight loss from the initial few days when they were first taken off of the cows. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are going to turn them back in with the momma cows, 45 days or a month and a half is about the minimum.

Kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping that there was a chance that weaning may be quicker. I'm gonna have to wait it out and keep an eye on the calves. I wish that I could send some of this darn rain out west where it is needed. Its going to make for an interesting winter.

I remember my granddad had some type of mask with those pointed spikes over the nose he would put on the calves. The mommas didn't like them at all.

slick4591":1jtanlc6 said:
I remember my granddad had some type of mask with those pointed spikes over the nose he would put on the calves. The mommas didn't like them at all.
The common name for them is a "blab".

I think now there are plastic rings that can be bought cheaper that clip in easily but have to removed within a certain timeframe.

slick4591":a2usef6p said:
dun":a2usef6p said:
slick4591":a2usef6p said:
The common name for them is a "blab".

Never knew that. Thanks!
I'm just full of useless information like that

the plastic nose weaners are cheap and they work good.they only cost $2-$3 each and are easy to put n as long as u got a chute handy.

Thanks all. I checked out the "blabs." The plastic ones seem like they will work as long as they stay in their nose. I think that i'm going to put up some electric and give the calves some pasture that surrounds the barn yard. Its has some good grass on it and they will probably do well out there. I am hoping that they do not try to go through it to get back to their mommas. They have been fairly quiet now and do not seem to be trying to get through the barn yard fencing any longer.

Latest posts