How long does it take for a brand to heal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
My grandson will be showing a 7 month old Texas Longhorn at the fair this year. The breed association requires branding for registration. People around here don't brand. I am worried about the city folk raising cane with animal protection people if the brand isn't healed. The fair is 6 weeks off. I may register her and brand her later.

Hi Roger,

I have seen variation in the healing of brands. It depends on the critters metabolism and the depth/heat of the burn.

6 weeks may put a deep hot brand into the scabbing phase, and if it is scuffed, it will bleed a bit.

A lighter, cooler brand will look better quicker, but may not get past the follicles, and diminish after a long while.

Try freeze branding for your show animals if it is allowed, just my opinion, more experienced folks here will provide better info.

I would think that six weeks would have it looking it's worst. It seems to me that there is an alternative besides ducking the controversy, though---

Maybe you and your grandson could arm yourself with all of the facts about branding. History, branding laws, factual information about how much 'pain' the animal might feel, etc. You could then use this to help the entire cattle industry counter some of the negative opinions of the city morons who want to tell us how to run our business.

Well-informed kids make great spokesmen for us. They are usually just so serious and honest that anyone who tries to argue comes out looking like a jerk. In my opinion, it would provide the very best complete learning experience for your grandson. Much better than dodging the facts of this business. Just something else to think about.

With the young show heifers that we buy, somethings we brand them about a week or two before the show. You have to be gentle with the brush, but they don't look bad.

Six weeks will probably put the brand at a bad time.. oozing and scabbing, etc.

You mentioned the breed assocation requires branding. It's the same with the Brahman Association, but they can't be registered without being branded. In other words, you may risk disqualification if you show registration papers that indicate a brand, but the animal doesn't have one.

I wouldn't worry about animal rights people.. I've had that argument with them before. Here in Texas they don't have a chance up against cattlemen / women.

TheBullLady":27o39k3v said:
In other words, you may risk disqualification if you show registration papers that indicate a brand, but the animal doesn't have one.

I hadn't thought of that angle. I guess I better get the irons out and the heater fired up. Might as well enter the fair with a bang.

I am already ruffling feathers with the fair board. They say they have a rule that "all cattle must be de-horned." I have asked them to point to the rule in the book. They can not find it but "know it is there." I point to the rule that states "the animal can not be alterted from breed standards." My standards require horns. They accepted the entry so far.
I guess we will really see what fight they have in them. We were originally going to show a 2 year with calf, but she did not calf on time so we changed.

Thanks all

Latest posts