How long before a vet ?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
How long before a vet can tell me if my heifers are bred? I have two heifers and I want to know if they are bred. If I let them run till the 19th they will have been with the bull for 55 days. My vet says I need to wait another 45 days to bring them back in to ultra sound them. I figured he would be able to do it sooner.

Our vet likes to ultrasound at aorund 29-33 days and palpate at 45 or more

dun":1qijb27t said:
Our vet likes to ultrasound at aorund 29-33 days and palpate at 45 or more

So if I take them back to him at april 2 that will be 70 days and he should be able to tell me if he ultra sounds them? As long as they settled in the first cycle or two?

I don;t understand the ultrasound stuff very well. I've never been able to see what he's talking about when he was telling me the gender of the calf, for that matter I couldn;t really see much to identify anyway. I think it may be harder to ultrasound further into pregancy but I'm not sure.

Jay, have you ever heard of the PSPB analysis that BioTracking does? That test may work out better for you, both in convience and cost.

wait till they are at 100 days,then have them ultra sounded.your vet dont want to make a misstake that why he says 100 days.

Other than confirming the fetus is alive, what would be the point of ultrasounding over 100 days? Sexing is usually done around 55-60 days. At 100+ days the uterus starts to fall over the pelvic brim making retraction and ultrasound more difficult. Anyone good at ultrasound should be able to give a fairly reliable diagnosis at 28-30 days, although a few calves will still naturally abort past this time due to early embryonic death. I prefer 40 days myself, less fetal loss and you still have a chance to get the heifers bred w/the rest. At 100 days hand palpation should be adequate, use the ultrasound on those that palpate open (if you aren't already culling them).

RedCow, I agree with you, you have a sensable plan. I've thought about looking into buying an ultrasound machine. Like most things I do, I don't know much about it. Does anyone know what one costs, and if 3 or 4 people bought one would it be worth it? How hard are they to operate? gs

plumber_greg":2yhfjs7t said:
RedCow, I agree with you, you have a sensable plan. I've thought about looking into buying an ultrasound machine. Like most things I do, I don't know much about it. Does anyone know what one costs, and if 3 or 4 people bought one would it be worth it? How hard are they to operate? gs

They got quite a bit cheaper lately so a cooperation agreement with neighbours probably isn't as neccesary now as it was a few years ago. It is quite a skill reading it, but I believe with practice it is a very aquirable skill, but then so is palpation. I am very good at palpation, but simply haven't spent enough time staring at the monitor to be any good as scanning.

Latest posts