How I spent my friday nite (graphic pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
csec01.jpg

csec02.jpg

csec04.jpg

finding the Uterus
csec05.jpg

putting Uterus back in
csec06.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/moangus/[IMG]
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/moangus/cseccalf.jpg
cseccalf1.jpg

This is how I spent friday nite vet and I started a c-section on a hfr about 9 and we were done by 11:30
I noticed this hfr with a odd membrane hanging out about 6:30 and knew something wasn't right so I got her up and examined her and could feel one foot and a shoulder but no head and then I thought I felt a ft on the outside of her uterus (Vet thought same thing) turns out it was in one of the horns thankfully
we got her in to the vet and got to work the deforme calf is the results
The hfr is fine we turned her back out today and I checked abouyt 6 and she was eating grass right along with the rest of the hfrs

Calf is quite possibly a Curly Calf as there is some FD stacked in her genetics
atleast we saved the hfr and can get some $$$ out of her down the road

Crappy way to spend a Friday night. Just curious why you took her to the vet instead of had the vet come to you? We have ours come to us, and we're only 8 miles from the clinic. Glad you were able to save the heifer, it's a real long night when you lose them all. Hope the rest of calving season treats you better.

fargus":j6zv0m55 said:
Crappy way to spend a Friday night. Just curious why you took her to the vet instead of had the vet come to you? We have ours come to us, and we're only 8 miles from the clinic. Glad you were able to save the heifer, it's a real long night when you lose them all. Hope the rest of calving season treats you better.
Main reason was when I called him he was on a call about 25 miles the other side of town so I just loaded her and met him at his place to save time and be easier on him
plus his facilities are inside and a little better to work in at nite
mine are outside with lights and under roof
but main reason was it was easier for him because if he came here he would of had a extra 30 minute drive to my place
anything routine he comes to me and would have friday nite if I had asked him

he actually asked why I called him and just didn't do it myself since he knows I can as I have done a few but it has been 15 yrs or longer
I did do one 3 yrs ago but I didn't have to worry about sewing it back up as the cow was dying anyway and I was just getting the calf out then I put the cow down

I agree it looks like AM, but you know it takes two to tango on an affected calf (Sire and Dam). So if this is your herd bull he is making a bunch of carrier calfs (~50% carriers) for you. If you are shipping them to the feedlot no problem, but if you are keeping the heifers then... you have another management issue most people arent will to manage around. If you are, good for you.

jscunn":1jhxgsuy said:
I agree it looks like AM, but you know it takes two to tango on an affected calf (Sire and Dam). So if this is your herd bull he is making a bunch of carrier calfs (~50% carriers) for you. If you are shipping them to the feedlot no problem, but if you are keeping the heifers then... you have another management issue most people arent will to manage around. If you are, good for you.
JS
I run 8 herd bulls the older bulls could quite possibly have been carriers as I never had them tested and owned them before the big AM scare came out
The sire to this calf was the last bull I had that WASN"T tested and he isn't useable anymore as he broke his penis this summer
I still have some FD bred bulls but they have been tested as for the hfrs This yrs replacements will be the last ones that could be out of carrier bulls but I still may have some cows that are carriers
without testing there is No way to tell and the loss of a calf here or there it isn't worth testing commercial cows IMO
I believe that I have had an AM calf atleast once a yr for the last 4 or 5 yrs and if so that still puts my losses at a lot less than 1% because of AM
with the % being what it is I don't feel that it is worth testing for as I have had a higher % of loss just because the wind blew the wrong direction on a certain day ;-)

Angus Cowman,

I agree most of the losses to AM dont come close to the losses for simple dystocia. As long as you know what is going on and sounds like you do,keep on keeping on.

sorry you had to do the c-section but interesting stuff.....learn alot of this forum.....thanks for sharing.

Latest posts