How Far?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2tq43fif said:
inyati13":2tq43fif said:
Fence:
Dipping posts to cresote them was banned. Where are you getting cresote treated posts? Or are these old inventory?

Where did I say creosote?
If I did it was a mistake. I use almost exclusively steel post.

Yes. I edited that. It was NECowboy.

BTW: do you never use pressure treated wood post?

NeCowboy,

You mentioned creosote treated posts. Are you sure they were not pressure treated with the range of currently approved wood preservatives? Creosote dipping was banned many years ago by the EPA.

This guy has done all kinds of beautiful 5 wire fence in my area with creosote posts and has a reputation for great work so I had no concerns.

Jojeephus and all of you have inspired me :). We called him and he's coming over tomorrow (with Girlfriend) for the Come To Jesus meeting. BUT he did say that he recently bought a stock trailer from another neighbor; evidently he felt the other neighbor needed the money & we don't so he paid him off first. What the what??? This should be interesting.

And Jo, I truly feel bad for you dealing with adult brats. Hopefully they will respect & appreciate you - and maybe learn a little about not just the cattle business but life in general.

Did some checking. In 2008, EPA re-registered creosote:

In 2008, EPA determined that the three heavy-duty wood preservatives were eligible for reregistration provided the mitigation measures and associated label changes identified in the Reregistration Eligibility Decision Documents (REDs) were implemented. These wood preservatives are:
chromated arsenicals (contains copper and some combination of chromium and/or arsenic);
pentachlorophenol (PCP); and
creosote.

callmefence":j7v372ms said:
inyati13":j7v372ms said:
Fence:
Dipping posts to cresote them was banned. Where are you getting cresote treated posts? Or are these old inventory?

You didn't but steel post bends in snow I have to straighten t posts every spring they are terrible. Creosote treated is at orschelns, tractor supply, all local lumber stores. Pressure treated don't last here. Usually use 4.5 inch diameter x 6.5 feet creosote treated wood posts and 6.5 inch by 8 foot for corner posts. We all use creosote treated up here between 3.5 inch and 5 inch diameter for the standard posts. Red brand barbed wire is what my fence guy said is the best!

NECowboy":3crpoqjy said:
callmefence":3crpoqjy said:
inyati13":3crpoqjy said:
Fence:

You didn't but steel post bends in snow I have to straighten t posts every spring they are terrible. Creosote treated is at orschelns, tractor supply, all local lumber stores. Pressure treated don't last here. Usually use 4.5 inch diameter x 6.5 feet creosote treated wood posts and 6.5 inch by 8 foot for corner posts. We all use creosote treated up here between 3.5 inch and 5 inch diameter for the standard posts. Red brand barbed wire is what my fence guy said is the best!

Whats this snow you speak of......

callmefence":3qu9q6ew said:
NECowboy":3qu9q6ew said:
callmefence":3qu9q6ew said:

Stay south Tex you cain't handle it!!

:lol2:

Seriously though I will post some pictures of the serious snow drifts on the ranch for y'all this winter!

NECowboy":3e7gn52c said:
callmefence":3e7gn52c said:
NECowboy":3e7gn52c said:

Seriously though I will post some pictures of the serious snow drifts on the ranch for y'all this winter!

I spent 33 winters in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I have seen them.

inyati13":3eyfrdoe said:
NECowboy":3eyfrdoe said:
callmefence":3eyfrdoe said:

Wyoming Montana so bad and wide open they have snow fences. Inyati you didn't stay out west??? :eek: Shame on you!

NECowboy":1r1xqiv2 said:
inyati13":1r1xqiv2 said:
NECowboy":1r1xqiv2 said:

Wyoming Montana so bad and wide open they have snow fences. Inyati you didn't stay out west??? :eek: Shame on you!

Elevation has a great effect on weather. Go over Togwotee Pass in Wyoming going from Casper to Jackson Hole. By March it is like driving through a canyon.

The surprise is this. The weather in Denver is much better than Kentucky. No debate! More clear bluebird days. Less humidity. Winter is cheerful, etc. And rarely does snow accumulate.

If I did not have my farm, I would be on my way tomorrow!

A good mix of copper arsenicte, diesel fuel and used motor oil works good. Put the post in a barrel with the mix for a week and they'll last a long time.

inyati13":33kxf7b0 said:
NECowboy":33kxf7b0 said:
inyati13":33kxf7b0 said:

Elevation has a great effect on weather. Go over Togwotee Pass in Wyoming going from Casper to Jackson Hole. By March it is like driving through a canyon.

The surprise is this. The weather in Denver is much better than Kentucky. No debate! More clear bluebird days. Less humidity. Winter is cheerful, etc. And rarely does snow accumulate.

If I did not have my farm, I would be on my way tomorrow!

Yep I lived in Chicago area for few years and winters terrible lot more humid cold. SC summers (also lived there and visiting family that lives there this week) also humid and terrible. Central Nebraska a lot less humid though not quite as arid as Denver, lot more sun, only bad thing is the wind and wide open blowing snow, and extreme temperature changes but otherwise I love it here! Denver far and away my favorite city to visit about five and a half hours from me!

True Grit Farms":3sna45ad said:
A good mix of copper arsenicte, diesel fuel and used motor oil works good. Put the post in a barrel with the mix for a week and they'll last a long time.

Where can one acquire the copper arsenate?

JMJ Farms":84oowjgi said:
True Grit Farms":84oowjgi said:

Not sure i want to handle copper arsenic sounds quite deadly!

NECowboy":145njjsg said:
JMJ Farms":145njjsg said:
True Grit Farms":145njjsg said:

Not sure i want to handle copper arsenic sounds quite deadly!

It was for Napoleon.

JMJ Farms":3p8mb8vg said:
True Grit Farms":3p8mb8vg said:

Go by grits place. Look for the barrel with fence post in it.

callmefence":14iwvkbh said:
JMJ Farms":14iwvkbh said:
True Grit Farms":14iwvkbh said:

Don't steal it he'll clock ya, he's our resident ufc champion! :cowboy: No seriously I'm proud of grit standing up for himself.

callmefence":2rdgx12r said:
JMJ Farms":2rdgx12r said:
True Grit Farms":2rdgx12r said:

I think I better call first fence. Not only does he have arsenic he's got an arsenal :stop:

Latest posts