How far back until not considered "inbreeding"

Help Support CattleToday:

BigAg03,

You are right again, although I was trying to address the question of the difference between inbreeding and Linebreeding. My definition was directed at the most practical application of the two, trying to keep it simple. Parent/offspring matings are the most extreme form of inbreeding or closebreeding and is usually the one that is avoided albeit not always. It is a somewhat complicated subject and is definitely not for everyone. As I think Boogie mentioned it comes with a lot of preconceived prejudice. The book I recommended before really does a good job at explaining in a unbiased way the pros and cons.

I am probably just going to show my ignorance here so feel free to correct me.
I really don't understand the big concern about line breeding or inbreeding. If you throw the words out then all you are really talking about is genes. If you continually breed for certain traits then you are duplicating genes. The genes are the same wither they are related or not. It is culling out the bad genes that is important. Once all the culling is done to ones maximum ability then breeding closely related cattle is only a process of multiplying the good genes faster and exposing the bad genes still left for further culling.

novatech":2fb7u6k6 said:
I am probably just going to show my ignorance here so feel free to correct me.
I really don't understand the big concern about line breeding or inbreeding. If you throw the words out then all you are really talking about is genes. If you continually breed for certain traits then you are duplicating genes. The genes are the same wither they are related or not. It is culling out the bad genes that is important. Once all the culling is done to ones maximum ability then breeding closely related cattle is only a process of multiplying the good genes faster and exposing the bad genes still left for further culling.

You are basically correct and the desired benefit of such practice is consistency and prepotency.

Prepotency as defined by Lawrence Winters is "The ability possessed by certain individuals to impress their characteristics upon their offspring to a marked degree."

The marked degree is what seperates the Linebred/inbred sire from the outcross one. The characteristics that one would want in the eye of the stockman.

CKC1586":3iqj6bgz said:
Knersie gave me the best explanation/information on Linebreeding vs inbreeding that I have ever read. :tiphat:

As BigAg03 stated linebreeding is inbreeding. The three types of inbreeding practiced by breeders are inbreeding, in and inbreeding, and linebreeding. What distinguishes the difference between all three is the degree of closeness and the duration of such. Linebreeding being the least "intense".

So gentlemen, if someone is looking to start a herd with a number of cows and a bull, then after the first year crop breeding that same bull to the original cow and then the new 1st years after culling out any problems. And continuing this process for a few years. Is this a good way to develop a large, quality herd?

Stepbystep":ra0rwb09 said:
So gentlemen, if someone is looking to start a herd with a number of cows and a bull, then after the first year crop breeding that same bull to the original cow and then the new 1st years after culling out any problems. And continuing this process for a few years. Is this a good way to develop a large, quality herd?
Yes but you have tostart with quality.

When one considers the fact that only 10% of the males, in high quality herds, should or could be retained as a very high quality bull the choices for linebreeding become very, very slim. To develop the standards necessary for the development of a linebred take more than just a few years. It takes a lot of cattle to select from, extreme discipline, and more than anything knowledge and experiance.

novatech":2n2zutah said:
When one considers the fact that only 10% of the males, in high quality herds, should or could be retained as a very high quality bull the choices for linebreeding become very, very slim. To develop the standards necessary for the development of a linebred take more than just a few years. It takes a lot of cattle to select from, extreme discipline, and more than anything knowledge and experiance.

Your answer seems to be tempered with some good experience, may I ask how would u recommend someone who is new get started?

Thanks in advance

Latest posts