How early can a 1st time Heifer go into labor?

Help Support CattleToday:

cduncan25

Reaction score
we have Black Angus, Show heifer that has a due date around April 20? She is acting really odd, not eating, staying out in the woods and not coming up as she does normally twice a day. Could she be starting labor early? Obviously we are new to the birthing process. This will be the first of our show herd.

CD

2 weeks before till 2 weeks after is considered normal. She may not be actually going into labor but the hormones may be kind of screwing up her head. If your expected due date isn't based on an AI or embryo implant date there isn;t a for sure date.
Keep an eye out for the usual calving preperation signs, loose vulva, prominant looking tail head, strutting teats on her udder, strings of clear mucus, calves feet sticking out, etc.

I did check the woods early this morning. She was laying down in the back corner.
I checked all around, and no mucus or liquid yet. She look pretty soft but her tail is still hanging down. She got up but still would not come to feed. Bag may look a little more filled out.
Things may just seem strange to her.

Did she eat normally when you fed her? Act like she felt okay? I have never had one go off by herself more than
a few hours before birth, this doesn't sound normal, esp. if her bag isn't full.

She could be aborting. She could be sick if she isn't eating. How long has she been off food? No scientific study or anything but I have found that 2 weeks before calving a lot of cows will start looking for their spot. They'll spend time there to watch for predators. I would be worried about the no eating thing....

Latest posts