• antibiotic in eye + topical

• vaccine

• other

• intramuscular

• intramuscular + topical

Results are only viewable after voting.

devonian

Reaction score
Interested as some vets in the company we use say a syringe to the eyelid is the most effective whilst others say in the rump + topical is just as effective. Who to believe?

Last edited:
First - NEVER inject anything in the rump. Haven't you ever been involved with BQA?
I either inject (in the neck) a tetracycline (like LA 200 LA 300) or give sulfa boluses.
2nd - I always patch the eye. You don't have to buy fancy eye patches, just cut up old blue genes. Do not glue the bottom half of the patch. I have never had to re-treat.
Vaccine is totally hit & miss. They don't cover ALL causes. I have never used vaccine.

First - NEVER inject anything in the rump. Haven't you ever been involved with BQA?
I either inject (in the neck) a tetracycline (like LA 200 LA 300) or give sulfa boluses.
2nd - I always patch the eye. You don't have to buy fancy eye patches, just cut up old blue genes. Do not glue the bottom half of the patch. I have never had to re-treat.
Vaccine is totally hit & miss. They don't cover ALL causes. I have never used vaccine.
Ok I'm taking rump to mean intramuscular here. No we don't have BQA in my neck of woods. Never tried patching what glue do you use?

There may not be BQA in the UK. But injections in the US are typically in the "triangle" area of the neck, the exception is something like Excede at the base of the ear.

I rarely have pinkeye, but I treat by flushing the eye first with Veterycin and examining to make sure there isn't a seed or foreign object. Antibiotics used are either LA300 or Draxxin. Personally, I would never put something like LA directly in the eye - it stings like fire!

I do vaccinate with an autogenous vaccine made specifically for my area (my vet custom orders it) that targets moxarella bovis, moxarella bovoculi and mycoplasma bovis.

Ok I'm taking rump to mean intramuscular here. No we don't have BQA in my neck of woods. Never tried patching what glue do you use?
We give all injections in the neck area, both intramuscular and subcutaneous. Subcutaneous (under the skin) is preferable when you have that option with whatever vaccine or antibiotic you are using. We avoid giving injections in the rump as it could leave damaged tissue in that area causing a need cut out some of that carcass which means lost product and money.
BQA is a set of guidelines to improve working and handling practices.

Mastitis preparation containing Cloxacillin under the eyelid, rarely have to retreat. I haven't seen pinkeye in my cows for several years now. I have a closed herd with little over the fence the fence contact with neighbours cows/flies so hoping things stay that way.

Ken

When we first see the eye problem will depend on the treatment. If just runny and maybe blinking or hold it partially shut, they get some Today or Tomorrow under the eye lid; couple days later, real runny and looking a little like that pinkeye whitish.... and they will get the Today and a sub Q shot of LA 200 or 300 .... If it is real white, filmy... or has the telltale white spot, they get 1 cc pen and 1/2 cc dex together, in the membrane under eye lid, a little squirt of today to help flush out anything and a patch (jeans are good cut up ) as well as LA2or 300 sub Q. If they are out to pasture and no way to get them contained, they get a shot of Draxxin with the dart gun...

Many times just the today/tomorrow will help to flush out the eye and because it can be used intramammary in cattle, it does not burn or sting. But it seems to soothe the inflamed eye and calves don't feel a burn or sting in the eye with it. And it is an antibiotic...

We try to save the "heavy duty" Draxxin for those out to pasture with little chance of retreating in 2 days... and for bad cases.
The patches seem to make it more comfortable for the calves by not having to squint to keep the sun out that hurts them. They will rub them off in a week or 2 but they have done their job.... We have brought them back in and repatched. We use the type of glue they use on the back tags for cattle at the stockyard.... the local co-op sells that type glue for use in pinkeye treatment as well as other needs....

Also... they get an shot of Vit A/D anytime they are brought in for eye treatment. I have found that we have fewer problems or retreats of anything with the extra A/D vitamin.... my son used to think I was crazy until he was seeing that we had fewer cases and next to no retreats. Finally admitted mom might not be so dumb... It seems to help strengthen their immune system in the eyes... Vit A is the "eye" vitamin....

All shots are subcutaneous (subQ) in the neck triangle.... except the few with the dart gun.... then it is just try to hit in the neck area and get the drug into them....

When we first see the eye problem will depend on the treatment. If just runny and maybe blinking or hold it partially shut, they get some Today or Tomorrow under the eye lid; couple days later, real runny and looking a little like that pinkeye whitish.... and they will get the Today and a sub Q shot of LA 200 or 300 .... If it is real white, filmy... or has the telltale white spot, they get 1 cc pen and 1/2 cc dex together, in the membrane under eye lid, a little squirt of today to help flush out anything and a patch (jeans are good cut up ) as well as LA2or 300 sub Q. If they are out to pasture and no way to get them contained, they get a shot of Draxxin with the dart gun...

Many times just the today/tomorrow will help to flush out the eye and because it can be used intramammary in cattle, it does not burn or sting. But it seems to soothe the inflamed eye and calves don't feel a burn or sting in the eye with it. And it is an antibiotic...

We try to save the "heavy duty" Draxxin for those out to pasture with little chance of retreating in 2 days... and for bad cases.
The patches seem to make it more comfortable for the calves by not having to squint to keep the sun out that hurts them. They will rub them off in a week or 2 but they have done their job.... We have brought them back in and repatched. We use the type of glue they use on the back tags for cattle at the stockyard.... the local co-op sells that type glue for use in pinkeye treatment as well as other needs....

Also... they get an shot of Vit A/D anytime they are brought in for eye treatment. I have found that we have fewer problems or retreats of anything with the extra A/D vitamin.... my son used to think I was crazy until he was seeing that we had fewer cases and next to no retreats. Finally admitted mom might not be so dumb... It seems to help strengthen their immune system in the eyes... Vit A is the "eye" vitamin....

All shots are subcutaneous (subQ) in the neck triangle.... except the few with the dart gun.... then it is just try to hit in the neck area and get the drug into them..
Tetracycline and penicillin should not be given together.

Best way to control pink eye is improve your herd management by controlling flies.
I'd like to hear how you do that I thought they banned DDT years ago, unless you mean controlling flies using repellent on cattle which we do use using a product called flypor which is quite effective and we also keep cattle away from areas known to have lots of flies such as rivers until circumstances improve.

Latest posts