How do you get rid of a stray cat?

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef":kzgqfukl said:
I dunno whether to post this on the Tips 'n Tricks Board, or this board, (and I posted this on another forum and got quite a few responses) but anyway, my question is to all of you folks here on CT, how do you (or how would you) get rid of a stray cat?

There's a stray cat that's hanging around the farm and it's getting anoying because he just won't go away. When we feed the other two (our pets), whoever does the feeding has to stand guard to watch for that darned stray and keep it away from the food that're meant for these two and not that scruffy-looking thing.

I kinda don't want to kill it (you know, the SSS method), so I'm thinking of packin the paint ball gun everytime I go out in case I see it, 'cause maybe if it feels the sting of a paint ball everytime it tries to "make freinds" or get near it might decide to go somewheres else.

The other two kitties don't like him, especially Spider, he'll hiss and growl everytime that stray tries to get near. Button...well, I'm not so sure about her, but maybe she don't like the stray much either.

Or, should we accept the fact that the stray'll stay around and we'll just have to keep an eye out that he/it/she/whatever won't steal from the kitties food dish. It might be good to have an extra mouser around.

What do you think? :help:

I will give you a quote from my father, He said "If a stray cat takes up with you then good luck will soon follow."

peg4x4":33v00nfz said:
As to the bird thing I feed birds,have cats come by,birds go on alert,fly high.... I have gone to fill the feeder,and a bird just sits there,looking at me,until I pick it up and put it somewhere high so I can fill the feeder..Now,if you saw a cat with that bird in it's mouth,you'd have a fit 'bout "that bird killer",when the cat is only takeing out the weak and sick. I do make it hard for preditors(cats and hawks,such) hanging feeders high ,surrounding them with wind chimes and wire baffels..

I got alot of cats on the farm, and also alot of bird feeders hanging everywhere, and very seldom do the cats get a bird, they can coexist.

Gail

GMN":ab73mm7m said:
I got alot of cats on the farm, and also alot of bird feeders hanging everywhere, and very seldom do the cats get a bird, they can coexist.

Gail

We've only got 2 barncats and they may occasioanlly snag a bird, but mostly they're out and about working over the mouse and field rats with an occasional rabbit thrown in for good measure. We also have several coveys of quail and tons of wild turkeys, so the cats don;t seem to be having much affect on either of their populations.

dun

We've had as many as five barn cats, but we're down to two now.. I think.. The only way they ever bothered us was by dropping grumpies in the flowerbeds. Not cool. A nice deep layer of coarse mulch pretty much put a halt to that, though.

We encourage them to hang around, since about 99% of their diet is stuff I don't want around anyhow -- bugs and rodents.

Say what you will, but the cats I had were feral and birds were nowhere to be found in the yard. The cats hunted to survive, but like I said, since they're gone, the birds are back. The yard has been full of American Goldfinches at the feeders.

ga. prime":22qklup5 said:
Anybody ever eat any cat? I hear they're none too good.

Don't they taste like chicken? :lol: I've never eaten cat (and don't plan to start any time soon), but every other strange thing seems to taste like chicken - why wouldn't cats?

If you could catch one around here an thats a big IF, you would have to boil them for 3 weeks to get turpentine out.
:lol: :lol:

dun":3vqsgoal said:
ga. prime":3vqsgoal said:
Anybody ever eat any cat? I hear they're none too good.

In the PI we referred to them as "roof rabbits".

dun

That made me stop and think and ya know... I don't remember ever seeing a cat in Korea or Nam. Saw a few tigers in both places if that counts.Z

Latest posts