How do you get rid of a stray cat?

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I dunno whether to post this on the Tips 'n Tricks Board, or this board, (and I posted this on another forum and got quite a few responses) but anyway, my question is to all of you folks here on CT, how do you (or how would you) get rid of a stray cat?

There's a stray cat that's hanging around the farm and it's getting anoying because he just won't go away. When we feed the other two (our pets), whoever does the feeding has to stand guard to watch for that darned stray and keep it away from the food that're meant for these two and not that scruffy-looking thing.

I kinda don't want to kill it (you know, the SSS method), so I'm thinking of packin the paint ball gun everytime I go out in case I see it, 'cause maybe if it feels the sting of a paint ball everytime it tries to "make freinds" or get near it might decide to go somewheres else.

The other two kitties don't like him, especially Spider, he'll hiss and growl everytime that stray tries to get near. Button...well, I'm not so sure about her, but maybe she don't like the stray much either.

Or, should we accept the fact that the stray'll stay around and we'll just have to keep an eye out that he/it/she/whatever won't steal from the kitties food dish. It might be good to have an extra mouser around.

What do you think? :help:

If you can find someone else that's looking for a barncat that would get rid of it. Other then that, shoot it or put up with it are about the only options. Getting rid of stray cats almost as hard as getting rid of mooching relatives

dun

IluvABbeef":2o4563r4 said:
I dunno whether to post this on the Tips 'n Tricks Board, or this board, (and I posted this on another forum and got quite a few responses) but anyway, my question is to all of you folks here on CT, how do you (or how would you) get rid of a stray cat?

There's a stray cat that's hanging around the farm and it's getting anoying because he just won't go away. When we feed the other two (our pets), whoever does the feeding has to stand guard to watch for that darned stray and keep it away from the food that're meant for these two and not that scruffy-looking thing.

I kinda don't want to kill it (you know, the SSS method), so I'm thinking of packin the paint ball gun everytime I go out in case I see it, 'cause maybe if it feels the sting of a paint ball everytime it tries to "make freinds" or get near it might decide to go somewheres else.

The other two kitties don't like him, especially Spider, he'll hiss and growl everytime that stray tries to get near. Button...well, I'm not so sure about her, but maybe she don't like the stray much either.

Or, should we accept the fact that the stray'll stay around and we'll just have to keep an eye out that he/it/she/whatever won't steal from the kitties food dish. It might be good to have an extra mouser around.

What do you think? :help:

SSS ... It's the best way to get rid of strays .

We've got three cats...one REAL (outdoor) cat who owns this farm and two imposters (indoor cats) whose only outdoor adventures consist of catching butterflies before they beg to come back inside. Boots, the REAL cat, likes to pester the imposters by sitting at the storm door and bopping her paws at them. We also have a few visitors from time to time, who catch a quick meal of dry "Friskies" now and then, then move on. I think they visit the homes down the road as well and probably get handouts everywhere they go. They don't bother me, and I don't mind putting out a little extra for them now and then. But I kind of like cats.

Why not just put out a little food for the stray in a separate bowl? Dry cat food doesn't cost that much, and he will repay you by keeping the mice, rats, etc down around your place. Seems simple enough to me, but I happen to like cats and I will always feed a stray.

Dry corn cobs an bottle of turpentine, fire on the cats bootie, run kitty run.

dun":32febscr said:
If you can find someone else that's looking for a barncat that would get rid of it. Other then that, shoot it or put up with it are about the only options. Getting rid of stray cats almost as hard as getting rid of mooching relatives

dun

Dun if it comes right down to it you CAN shoot the cat. And if you think relatives are bad you never chased bucking horses and bulls down the road. If you have anything like a permanent address you can wake up any morning and find two to twenty hands camped out on every horizontal surface including the bath tub. And don't tell anybody if you rent a motel room.Z

The stray is I think a drop off, because of the coloration: white with tabby splotches, and a greyish tail (rat-like)...of course, the owners would've thought it was cute, then got tired of it 'cause it started ripping up furniture...the usual.

I dunno how old it is, probably a year, but it seems to be a bit of a bully to my other cats. When Spider went under the Buick to face the cat and try to chase it away, Spider ended up losing after a hissing match. He didn't get scratched up or anything, but he did come out of there a little ruffled and probably a little scared too. Button, she seems a little scared of him too. There was one time when Spider swatted her away and wouldn't let her eat or drink, and that was when that da*med cat was around. I dunno why he did it, probably some dominance thing, but I'm not sure.

Fed them tonight and the f***in' thing kept sneaking in on me...twice. And each time I had to throw something at it to chase it away.

Might have to do the SSS method anyway. :?: :?:

milkmaid":a89tm70x said:
Horticattleman":a89tm70x said:
Burlap sack and a brick

If you're going to kill him, you ought to do it humanely and right, IMHO.
I agree with you milkmaid. If you're gonna kill it,fine - but there's no need to be cruel about it.

All joking a side if you berry all but the cats head and then start up the lawnmower....Humanely quick and fun.

I've rid my place of cats with a 20 gauge, .22LR, and a live animal trap plus the .22 LR. Don't trap them and turn them loose somewhere else. They become someone else's problem. Since the cats are gone, we've got birds in the yard for the first time in years.

Been looking for a barn cat....the neighbor's cats keep loosing to the coyotes and olws.
If the cat isn't causing any trouble I'd be gratefull for another mouser...never known a barn cat that was fed by anyone.
DMc

I agree with most, a small 22 would be good. If they become a problem you need to something about it, its a fact of life but taking anythings life should be done with respect.

A small .22 it is, with a clean, (and humane) shot to the head. And another shot just to make sure. He was literally a sitting duck, making things a he!! of a lot easier.

And the stray was an older cat, which supports the dominance issues between my other two pets.

Thanks for your suggestions, helped me decide a bit quicker. Glad he's gone, got it done and over with.

As to the bird thing I feed birds,have cats come by,birds go on alert,fly high.... I have gone to fill the feeder,and a bird just sits there,looking at me,until I pick it up and put it somewhere high so I can fill the feeder..Now,if you saw a cat with that bird in it's mouth,you'd have a fit 'bout "that bird killer",when the cat is only takeing out the weak and sick. I do make it hard for preditors(cats and hawks,such) hanging feeders high ,surrounding them with wind chimes and wire baffels..

Latest posts