How Did Your Team DO-2

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :???:

Bill Polian is the boss of the Indianapolis Colts. General Manager is his title, I think.
I have to give him credit for most of the success the Colts have had. He somehow finds really good players with really successful attitudes who don't mind knocking you down for a living. :clap:
But geez. If the man had a Ferrari and a Subaru in his garage he would drive the Subaru to the beach.

It seems to me, in sports, if you have the chance to do something no one has done you salivate at the chance. And clearly the team was salivating. The starters would have won the game, most folks agree. Buffalo next week is clearly winnable, or would have been. Now we'll have to watch another forfeit because someone might get hurt.
The starters will get most of a month off before they have to play a meaningful game. If they don't lose the first game, the Chargers will eat them up. It has happened before. He hasn't learned.
The tar pots are on a kind of simmer setting. Feathers are being stockpiled.

We're only a little unsettled by this. :drink: :drink:

For shyte's and giggles you could always turn on the Monday night game John, da Bears are making the Vikes look like the bottom feeders of the division right now.

John he literally stole the chance from them. I've seen coaches pull the regulars and let the subs play but put the regulars back in if the game got close.....hope the let down doesn't carry forward into the following weeks.

MistyMorning":1pz4em3s said:
For shyte's and giggles you could always turn on the Monday night game John, da Bears are making the Vikes look like the bottom feeders of the division right now.

At least they were trying.
I bet they wouldn't pull #4 with the game on the line. Oh, wait....never mind. :lol:

TexasBred":237o2b9b said:
hope the let down doesn't carry forward into the following weeks.

There's the problem. I won't recount the well rested Colts teams that crashed the first week. Too painful.
The Super Bowl winning team had to fight to the last game to get a wild card and win two on the road in the playoffs. Rest is over rated.

I'm with you, John. As I watched that game unfold I felt a sense of loss and disappointment. I can't imagine how you and any other die hard Colts fan felt. To lose a chance at immortality by losing fair and square is one thing. To give it away without making any effort is another. If the Colts end up going 18-1 and winning the Super Bowl then we'll spend the rest of our lives wondering.

Yeah, I've heard all the arguments about resting for the playoffs and keeping your eye on the ultimate prize, blah blah blah. But, from what I've seen, the teams that go into the playoffs well rested tend to lose their edge compared to the ones that have to put everything on the line just to get there. The Colts of '06 and the Giants of '07 are two prime examples. Plenty of examples in other sports, too.

The way I see it, in any regular season game in any sport the best players (unless ill or injured) should be on the field giving every effort to win. They want to be there, they get payed good money to be there, and the fans that ultimately pay the bills deserve to see their best effort.

In my lifetime of putting my heart and soul into the Cubs, the Bears, and Illinois the only one to win a championship was the '85 Bears. I'm not talking about division titles and Big Ten crowns. I'm talking about winning THE champioship. Now that Bears team only lost one game. They were 12-0 and then lost to Miami by two touchdowns. They played their starters and got beat. I can live with that. But if they had gone 14-0, sat their starters to "rest", and lost, that would be a different story. We Bears fans would always wonder what could have been.

Sorry to hijack this thread, John, but since I'm on a roll, I've got a little story about those '85 Bears. Many of you remember that great defense. Do you remember that they won their first two playoff games 21-0 and 24-0? That's right, going into the Super Bowl they had a chance to become the only team in the Super Bowl era to shut out every opponent in the playoffs. But it wasn't meant to be. On the Bears first series, the great Walter Payton fumbled, the Patriots recovered on the Bears 20, and ended up kicking a field goal. It wasn't the defense's fault, but there went the shutout. The Bears went on to completly dominate the game, winning 46-10. The Patriots touchdown was scored late in the game with most of the starters on the bench, already celebrating a victory. But I'll always wonder. WHAT IF Walter hadn't fumbled? WHAT IF they had gone into the fourth quarter with a chance to do something no one had ever done and likely never will? Would they have gone for it? We'll never know, but I'd like to think so.

Yes, I know it's a different scenario than what the Colts faced last week. Those Bears had already won the Super Bowl. They had nothing to lose. But I still say if you have a chance to do something no one has ever done, and you have a chance to be remembered forever, you've GOT to give it your best shot.

If for no other reason, do it for those of us that are sick and tired of hearing about the '72 Dolphins. Now we have to endure another year of listening to Mercury Morris run his mouth and another year of watching those guys pop open the champagne and celebrate when the last undefeated team goes down. :D

Latest posts