How did you get Started Raising Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy":2nr438xl said:
went to college for 6 years. LOVED it--.

Six years beefy? How many degrees do you have? Just teasing you ;-)

I married into it.

Dad is a farmer/rancher as was his dad. I was born into it and inherited the love of it from Dad's half of my genes. I was riding horses by the time I was 5 or 6 and helping my older brother move cows at 7 or 8. At 14 or 15 my older brother left for college. Dad did the farming and I took care of the cows. I spent a lot of summers on horseback - 5-6 hours a day - moving cows around to keep them in water. At 17 or so, I earned the right to use the pickup and trailer and that saved a lot of wear and tear on my butt. :D At 24 I had a pretty bad wreck with a greenbroke horse and couldn't do the work for quite a while (still have problems from that wreck to this day), Dad was adamant that I not get into ranching and the wreck worked into that perfectly, so I left and got a job. I was gone for a number of years - during that time Dad and Mom retired, sold the ranch, reduced the herd, and bought a smaller place - and moved back home at 43 to help the folks. Been here ever since. Never did quite get over that wreck, though. I can still ride and do if I have to, but I've pretty much lost my nerve for it.

Caustic Burno":fb5osa6e said:
D.R. Cattle":fb5osa6e said:
With one bred brammer cow.

Man what luck my first was a Crossbred BramerxChar with high horns.

Our first cow bought was a fullblood limi, was also the first cow we took to the stock yards, should have all happened in the same year, but eventually I got smart and it went for the ride out of here.

I come from a long line a hairbrained cowboy types, so I was born into a Shorthorn/Red Poll ranch. For some reason or another the cowboy gene passed by my father, and he sold the cattle in the early 80s, and converted to grain, so I spent most of my time with my Uncle's shorthorn herd.

When I graduated, I took off to the big city, got a degree and spent a few years working in the city. I always stuck around livestock though, working here and there on weekends and evenings. Finally, a few years back I had the chance to either move to the US and start making some really big bucks, or move back to the ranch (when my grampa died, he left it to me) and lose all my savings ranching. I chose the latter, bought a few scurvy blacks and black white faces, and am now happily losing money hand over fist.

Rod

mitchwi":1lz930u5 said:
Beefy":1lz930u5 said:
went to college for 6 years. LOVED it--.

Six years beefy? How many degrees do you have? Just teasing you ;-)

I married into it.

LOL.
WELL..., i only have one degree, in animal science. All i need for ag education is to do my student teaching. i lack one semester to have a wildlife&forestry degree, and i lack 2 classes to having a horticulture (landscape design) minor. like i said, i just got tired of going to school one day...

Latest posts