How Dangerous are they....

Help Support CattleToday:

Three serious questions on this bull:

1. Could alot of his "attitude" be because he is a range bull not use to human contact, or was it strictly his disposition?

2. Assuming it was his disposition, how many calves would he pass it down to.... probably 50%?

3. A black with horns, any guesses in the breeding?

Thanks,
Alan

Talk to our friends dad last night. He almost started crying. He said that boy got really banged up. and realized how close he came to biting the dust. i asked what kind of bull it was . It was a char

Alan":s3c0vrvm said:

1. Could alot of his "attitude" be because he is a range bull not use to human contact, or was it strictly his disposition?

2. Assuming it was his disposition, how many calves would he pass it down to.... probably 50%?

Thanks,
Alan
Yes Alan I think it had alot to do with his attitude,because of the lack of human contact. They were on thousand of acres. I know I wouldn't want none of his calves. But guess what some of them will end up in a sale barn some where. The bull was a charolais

Joy in Texas":371f48oj said:
Alan":371f48oj said:

Thanks,
Alan
Yes Alan I think it had alot to do with his attitude,because of the lack of human contact. They were on thousand of acres. I know I wouldn't want none of his calves. But guess what some of them will end up in a sale barn some where. The bull was a charolais
'

Just a thought, but wouldn't it also have to do with how he's being handled, or WAS being handled? Even if just counts for a smiggin of his bad temper?

Joy in Texas":1q5dc433 said:
Talk to our friends dad last night. He almost started crying. He said that boy got really banged up. and realized how close he came to biting the dust. i asked what kind of bull it was . It was a char

one more reason for me to dislike charolais imo.... ;-) I just had to say that.

milkmaid":3jtuirg9 said:
Just FWIW, I believe that the reason tranquilizers work differently on different animals is due to (other than dosage) their level of excitement. I was told once that giving a tranquilizer to an excited or stressed animal only increases their levels of adrenaline and excitement - in other words it doesn't work. lol. Whenever I've had animals in to the vet clinic, if it's something that may require tranquilizers, they prefer to drug the animal before they get stressed (like floating a horse's teeth), or if they become stressed first, then they'll give them several minutes to sit and wait before giving the drugs.
i thought around the same thing too but i branded a couple of my horses a few years ago. got one that is as highstrung as it gets . gave em some ace the proper dose knocked the idiot right out. but the the dead head youngn never missed a beat like i didnt even tranq him.

IluvABbeef":3licyf3u said:
Joy in Texas":3licyf3u said:

one more reason for me to dislike charolais imo.... ;-) I just had to say that.
het girl how ya doing ? hows the calves coming along?
Really it wouldn't make much difference what breed of bull. Range cattle are totally different than regular pasture cattle. they take these animals out on these big ranches and work them a couple of times a year. Mostly they take care of themselves. So in a way they are wild cattle.

dun":307lfgzs said:
Nowland Farms":307lfgzs said:
dun":307lfgzs said:
....Too often it's the "pet" or really tame cow that gets you. You get complacent and forget that they're 100 times your weight or the big old "pet" wants a scratch and walks all over you.

dun

Dang Dun, a cow 100 times you weight? Either you have VERY BIG cows or you're one skinny guy :lol:

My full grown cattle are usually around 5 - 8 times my body weight. ;-) But still big enough to put a hurtin' on me if they decide to and I am not careful.

Lousey math skills. Lets try 10 times, 100 seemed like too much. Sure feels like 100 times when one stands on your foot. Old, crotchety, cranky and uneducated make a dangerous package.

I don't believe that for one minute. I can't imagine anyone else going for that either. :D

More like Mature, pleasant, sweet and plumb smart. Unless that is you were talking about the cow.

bigbull338":3pr9pklw said:
dun":3pr9pklw said:
jkwilson":3pr9pklw said:
You'd be amazed how hard they can hit the side of the trailer

And how much welding it takes to get the trailer back in shape to use again

dun
well number 1 never slapp a bull even if he was tranked.because he can an will eat your lunch.when a bull is bad enough to go after the horses.theres only 1 thing todo load the shotgun an fill him full of lead.

Mister bigbull338 i know what yur sayen but ifen ya have a good horse ya can save a number O yur orny but good bulls. I was just like you a good 30 years ago until i had me a spanish man ask fur work on the ranch. i mean spanish from that there country O spain. He told me one day when I was about ta put a bullet through a bull O mine that had just gored one O my cowboys horses that there was no need ta waste a dang fine bull but ta let em take care O the problem! me an the hands set up ta watch this feller go out and teach this bull a thing about horses and the men on em!!

You should a seen what happened that there spanurd took one O the few stallions we had on the string and went out after that ther bull. sure nuf that bull went right after the horse an that spanurd put that horse ta the back O that bull an let em have at em!! When that horse was done bitten kicken and haven his way with that ther bull he was calm as dang cow!! never seen nothing like it but learned a dang good leason. Saved myself a good number O bulls over the years by haven a old stallion have at em!

An old stalion knows just what ta do with an orny bull! ;-)
one O the things cowboys have forgot about ranchen is that a bunch O times a dang good horse knows better how ta deal with cattle then most O us cowboys.

when i was a kid a seen a registered gert bull that weighed over a ton broad side a school bus and knock it up on two wheel's. not once but twice. all the kids loved it ;-)

i know a man that had a new bull hitt his horse in the chest.with him in the saddle.the bad thing was he had just unloaded the bull .when he turned an hitt his horse.the bull had been over at a friends breeding his cowsfor a year.an never been worked or around horses till that day.nor had the bull ever acted up before.he works his cattle on horseback.so the bull was loaded back up an sent to the sale.

Gate Opener":23cppmw7 said:
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I bet they did love it. Where you one of the kids on that bus?
nope.. but would have been. road home from school with my uncle who was a senior in high school we were behind it as it turned onto the cattle guard and went up the road.there stood the bull head down and pawing the ground . we pulled over to watch the action ;-)

bigbull338":l6p0xhu5 said:
i know a man that had a new bull hitt his horse in the chest.with him in the saddle.the bad thing was he had just unloaded the bull .when he turned an hitt his horse.the bull had been over at a friends breeding his cowsfor a year.an never been worked or around horses till that day.nor had the bull ever acted up before.he works his cattle on horseback.so the bull was loaded back up an sent to the sale.

Yur right mister bigbull338 I should a made it clear. It has got to be an old stallion or some time a real agressive mare but once a bull learns not ta mess with a horse hil treat all horses with the proper respect. i,ll be the first ta admit that spanured new just when ta move the dang horse around soes he could have another go at the bull.

Mind ya yu got ta let your horse give that bull a good thrashing animals only respect the boss.

My only question is, Why the be nice does anyone have a bull with horns. You got to know he's going to be bad. :roll: :cboy:

mnmtranching":n1p60zhh said:
My only question is, Why the be nice does anyone have a bull with horns. You got to know he's going to be bad. :roll: :cboy:

Because some of the best bulls have horns! ;-)

ALACOWMAN":uwexp5pi said:
Gate Opener":uwexp5pi said:
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I bet they did love it. Where you one of the kids on that bus?
nope.. but would have been. road home from school with my uncle who was a senior in high school we were behind it as it turned onto the cattle guard and went up the road.there stood the bull head down and pawing the ground . we pulled over to watch the action ;-)

haha Thats funny-ya'll knew what was coming.

Caustic Burno":l2r1aay4 said:
A bull has four thought's
Fightin
One I can't type here
Eatin
And digging holes large enough to loose a chevy in.
All bulls are dangerous.
:lol: You are right yet again Caustic

Latest posts