How Dangerous are they....

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
After reading several post on how dangerous are bulls. This incident happened a couple of weeks ago. Some friends of ours went to round up 1000 head or better in west Texas. it took a few days rounding them up,penning and loading. The only one being a hard head was the bull.They tried their best to get him. after he gored 2 of their horses. They decided to wait a week and go back and get him. Not sure what breed he was ,but he had big horns.
Anyway, they bought a tranquilize gun with them. Got on their horses and tracked him down. They chased him up closer to the pens and shot. The bull dropped....They waited a few minutes and decided it was safe to approach him. One of the guys leaned down and slapped the bulls ear and said Whatcha gonna do now big boy ! That bull jumped up and went after our friend. Besides being black and blue from head to toe, both legs are broke and one of his hands. The only thing that saved his life is they had one rope around his horns and they were able to pull him away enough to get the guy to safety.
So when you ask yourself how dangerous are bulls.....They are deadly.

Those tranq deals alwasy surprise me at how differently they can work. Neighbor had a Simmenthal cow they put one dart in and the vet thought he had killed her. She dropped like she had been shot. We haqd a long yearling heifer that after 6 darts she was barely slowed down wnough we could get her in a trailer. Within 20 minutes, before I got her to the sale barn, she started tearing apart the trailer and at the salebarn put everyone over the fences.

dun

Doesn't have to be a big one or a horned one - or even a bull for that matter. Too many newbies lose sight of the fact that these are ANIMALS and they have instincts which can cause serious harm to those around them.

my ''never gonna be the same'' knee keeps me reminded evrytime im inside the fence. gentle as a dog til that day....

dun":2bd8u964 said:
  • Those tranq deals alwasy surprise me at how differently they can work
. Neighbor had a Simmenthal cow they put one dart in and the vet thought he had killed her. She dropped like she had been shot. We haqd a long yearling heifer that after 6 darts she was barely slowed down wnough we could get her in a trailer. Within 20 minutes, before I got her to the sale barn, she started tearing apart the trailer and at the salebarn put everyone over the fences.

dun
thats for sure. the weight guessing game is alot of it.

dun":2ioln4bp said:
Those tranq deals alwasy surprise me at how differently they can work. Neighbor had a Simmenthal cow they put one dart in and the vet thought he had killed her. She dropped like she had been shot. We haqd a long yearling heifer that after 6 darts she was barely slowed down wnough we could get her in a trailer. Within 20 minutes, before I got her to the sale barn, she started tearing apart the trailer and at the salebarn put everyone over the fences.

dun

You'd better have 'em penned good when it wears off. Had a 600 lber try to come through the trailer at me after she was darted. You'd be amazed how hard they can hit the side of the trailer, and how fast they can move. :shock:

jkwilson":20zokpo1 said:
You'd be amazed how hard they can hit the side of the trailer

And how much welding it takes to get the trailer back in shape to use again

dun

dun":29a3fgj0 said:
jkwilson":29a3fgj0 said:

dun
well number 1 never slapp a bull even if he was tranked.because he can an will eat your lunch.when a bull is bad enough to go after the horses.theres only 1 thing todo load the shotgun an fill him full of lead.

bigbull338":2r2moj31 said:
dun":2r2moj31 said:
jkwilson":2r2moj31 said:

dun
well number 1 never slapp a bull even if he was tranked.because he can an will eat your lunch.when a bull is bad enough to go after the horses.theres only 1 thing todo load the shotgun an fill him full of lead.

My preference would be a 30-30 in the middle of that X in it's forehead.

dun

Bullbuyer":1jt0l5lh said:
Doesn't have to be a big one or a horned one - or even a bull for that matter. Too many newbies lose sight of the fact that these are ANIMALS and they have instincts which can cause serious harm to those around them.
Exactly, my point. I know I have a soft heart when it comes to calves. And I do have some calm cows,but I never turn my back on them. You never know whats on their mind.
My father in law ( reminds me alot of Caustic Burno) use to sell anything I thought was cute or sweet. Thinking of him being an ass all of these years. He use to tell me there is no room for a soft hearted woman in the cattle business. Cattle are not pets they are a business treat them as such.
I learned alot from that old man. And I understand now why he taught me that way.

Joy in Texas":34685iri said:
Exactly, my point. I know I have a soft heart when it comes to calves. And I do have some calm cows,but I never turn my back on them. You never know whats on their mind.
My father in law ( reminds me alot of Caustic Burno) use to sell anything I thought was cute or sweet. Thinking of him being an ass all of these years. He use to tell me there is no room for a soft hearted woman in the cattle business. Cattle are not pets they are a business treat them as such.
I learned alot from that old man. And I understand now why he taught me that way.

Too often it's the "pet" or really tame cow that gets you. You get complacent and forget that they're 100 times your weight or the big old "pet" wants a scratch and walks all over you.

dun

Yup, that bull wouldnt have been coming back to my place. I wouldnt have shot it, but it would have definitely gone to the barn and sold for whatever I could get.

dun":kmltd5kb said:
....Too often it's the "pet" or really tame cow that gets you. You get complacent and forget that they're 100 times your weight or the big old "pet" wants a scratch and walks all over you.

dun

Dang Dun, a cow 100 times you weight? Either you have VERY BIG cows or you're one skinny guy :lol:

My full grown cattle are usually around 5 - 8 times my body weight. ;-) But still big enough to put a hurtin' on me if they decide to and I am not careful.

Nowland Farms":1zpu3yoo said:
dun":1zpu3yoo said:
....Too often it's the "pet" or really tame cow that gets you. You get complacent and forget that they're 100 times your weight or the big old "pet" wants a scratch and walks all over you.

dun

Dang Dun, a cow 100 times you weight? Either you have VERY BIG cows or you're one skinny guy :lol:

My full grown cattle are usually around 5 - 8 times my body weight. ;-) But still big enough to put a hurtin' on me if they decide to and I am not careful.

Lousey math skills. Lets try 10 times, 100 seemed like too much. Sure feels like 100 times when one stands on your foot. Old, crotchety, cranky and uneducated make a dangerous package.

Joy in Texas":tzgcqiz4 said:
Bullbuyer":tzgcqiz4 said:

You are right on the money, Joy. I thought folks on here were goin' to crucify me when I told them I had to put one crazy cow down - couldn't get her in a pen, couldn't keep her off the road, couldn't keep her out of my fields and when she saw a horse she high tailed it to the brush as fast as she could run. And when you got anywhere near her the head was down and she was blowin' throught the nose. I can't have an animal like that around and I couldn't pen her to load her (wouldn't want to wish her off on someone else anyway). So she got out on the highway one time too many. Soon as I pulled the .45 she knew she was about to meet her maker and started at me. Too bad 'cause I'm a better shot than she was a bad ass.

Any of them will hurt you! Don't work them alone.

I know how it goes with them and we had to shoot a few in our days too. See they way I look at it is that it's the difference between city folk and us country people. We do what we have to do just to survive. Our lives are not about big fancy houses, cars, trucks, tractor, trailors, and whatever else. It's our day to days life out on the farm. Cruel to some as it may be ...it's life.

I heard that a woman got killed at Rose Bud Ar. while helping her husband work some cows a few weeks ago.
Can,t be too carefull.

Just FWIW, I believe that the reason tranquilizers work differently on different animals is due to (other than dosage) their level of excitement. I was told once that giving a tranquilizer to an excited or stressed animal only increases their levels of adrenaline and excitement - in other words it doesn't work. lol. Whenever I've had animals in to the vet clinic, if it's something that may require tranquilizers, they prefer to drug the animal before they get stressed (like floating a horse's teeth), or if they become stressed first, then they'll give them several minutes to sit and wait before giving the drugs.

I absolutely agree that the amount of adrenaline in their system will change the affect of the tranquilizer. I was involved in a chase and capture of a escaped rodeo bull one time. We had enough drugs in him to put an elephant to sleep for a month and he kept going. And I mean extremely dangerous and running.

The drugs work good on an animal who is calm but not so well on one that has been run.

Dave

Dave":1trf125a said:
I absolutely agree that the amount of adrenaline in their system will change the affect of the tranquilizer. I was involved in a chase and capture of a escaped rodeo bull one time. We had enough drugs in him to put an elephant to sleep for a month and he kept going. And I mean extremely dangerous and running.

The drugs work good on an animal who is calm but not so well on one that has been run.

Dave

The goofy heifer hadn't been run, she was standing in the pasture with all of the other cows. She was always nuts, that was the reason for the tranq

Latest posts