HOTTER THAN ----

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hotter than ----Death Valley is what they were saying on the radio for yesterday...Officially Glendive Mt. was 111...I saw some unofficial or remote sights that were higher...The radio said Death Valley was below 100....

Today it is 109 here-- town says 107--but the weather boys weather site in the Missouri Breaks says 113 .....Whole eastern Montana again well in the 100's....

Cool front moving out of Alberta- meeting with monsoonal air coming out of Idaho is setting off thunderstorms everywhere west of me...Supposed to move our way and hopefully it will bring us a little much needed moisture-- and a couple of cooler days only in the 80's or 90's :D - until the temp climbs up again this weekend :(

Might have to head north tomorrow-- RockGlen Sk (70 miles north) is only predicting a high of 77.....

I can't believe our luck this summer. We have yet to have a 100 degree day, and we usually have had several by now. In fact, it was sunny here all day and the dew never quite dried in spots in my back yard. Pool water feels great and it is comfortable in the shade. I am loving it.

That's hot. If we had that here with our humidity you'd only find little greasy spots where we all melted. What's the humidity like there?

Cuz

CUZ":10bzv4cm said:
That's hot. If we had that here with our humidity you'd only find little greasy spots where we all melted. What's the humidity like there?

Cuz

Humidity runs from about 80 at night down to about 20 during the hottest part of the day...

We're just not used to this long an extended period of heat-- for the last month we haven't had a day under 90-- no rain-- and now two weeks of 100+ with no real relief in site...

Hang on OT it is coming. Hit here today. Overcast and a bit cooler. I think in the upper 80's lower 90's. A few rain showers. Got hit with a bad storm last night. Wind gusts were clocked at 65mph. Even after the rain it was still HOT!
Great Falls hit 104 four times this month. We hit 106 and above a few times. Too flipping hot!!!!!
Looked back on the calendar and this heat started for us on July 3rd. Only one day in which the high was 79, it felt so cool I thought I needed a coat. :shock:

Cutting any wheat up there or is it all hay country?
Started here. Running hard red winter wheat getting strips putting out 60 bushel an acre. Pretty da*n good. :D

I luv herfrds":3w10gebh said:
Cutting any wheat up there or is it all hay country?
Started here. Running hard red winter wheat getting strips putting out 60 bushel an acre. Pretty da*n good. :D

I haven't seen anything cut yet-- Lot of the earlier stuff got hailed out...The wheat further north will be a little later...

Sure some beautiful looking field out there-- but it sounds like this month of heat and no moisture could be affecting some-- already hearing some farmers talking about their Swedish wheat-Good looking heads, but nothing in them ;-) :lol:

I luv herfrds":2mggl02q said:
Looked back on the calendar and this heat started for us on July 3rd.

I'll trade you - our heat wave started around the 5th of June, and we have only had a handful of days below 100 since then. Even with irrigation, it's so darned hot that the alfalfa has been set back enough that we won't get a 4th cutting this year.

msscamp":2804et7s said:
I luv herfrds":2804et7s said:

I'll trade you - our heat wave started around the 5th of June, and we have only had a handful of days below 100 since then. Even with irrigation, it's so darned hot that the alfalfa has been set back enough that we won't get a 4th cutting this year.

4th cutting :shock: -I think its been 50 years since I remember getting a 4th cutting- back when Dad still had a dairy operation too....We're hoping to start on our first cutting in a day or two...Hail actually got the first-- alfalfa has now come back good after being irrigated, but will get no grass hay as its too short and will have to be grazed in the fall...Hopefully will get a second on the alfalfa...

Can't believe it. 66 at 8:30 am. We have normally been 78 to 88 at that same time for I can't remember how long. Another thunder storm ran thru at 3:30 am. Sat up watching for fires. Luckily nothing.
Hope it is cooler where you are OT.

We are giving our custom cutter crud. Everywhere he has gone for this year it has RAINED! :D Keep teasing about him being a rainmaker this year. Response not fit to print.

I was in Montana 2 weeks ago ( outside Fort Benton )and it was 103 and 107< Luckily I was on the Missouri River at the time. I spent 8 days canoeing the river. (149 river miles.) great state, you sure love Angus cows crossed with char. Bulls. 8out of 10 bulls we seen were Char. :cboy:

I luv herfrds":1v80rvsf said:
Can't believe it. 66 at 8:30 am. We have normally been 78 to 88 at that same time for I can't remember how long. Another thunder storm ran thru at 3:30 am. Sat up watching for fires. Luckily nothing.
Hope it is cooler where you are OT.

Yep- got down to about 70 here this morning--picked up .2 of rain during the night...Still cloudy and the temps are holding off building today....Maybe a day or two of relief will put me in a better mood....

cowspider
I was in Montana 2 weeks ago ( outside Fort Benton )and it was 103 and 107< Luckily I was on the Missouri River at the time. I spent 8 days canoeing the river. (149 river miles.) great state, you sure love Angus cows crossed with char. Bulls. 8out of 10 bulls we seen were Char.

That Missouri river breaks thru there is sure something to see....I've never floated it but have flown down it a few times in a Cub....The local community used to have a couple week boat float from Fort Benton to Fort Peck Lake-- but then after several years of low water, some bad accidents, and increased liability concerns, they cancelled it...I used to work with a Juvenile Probation Officer that took a bunch of kids to Virgelle Ferry and then they would canoe down-- I never got to go as my job was to transport them & resupply them at Robinson Bridge.... :(
Maybe Iluvherefords knows-- but their must be a good Charolais breeder in that area...Goes to show you them good angus cross well with anything :p

reading this I am jealous now, wish we had some SUN, as it supposed to be summer here, what a joke 6 months rain in 3 not stopped, everyday rain and more rain, as I said in another thread if it doesn't stop soon, London may well get flooded.

Oldtimer":3tfcesdc said:
msscamp":3tfcesdc said:
I luv herfrds":3tfcesdc said:

4th cutting :shock: -I think its been 50 years since I remember getting a 4th cutting- back when Dad still had a dairy operation too....We're hoping to start on our first cutting in a day or two...Hail actually got the first-- alfalfa has now come back good after being irrigated, but will get no grass hay as its too short and will have to be grazed in the fall...Hopefully will get a second on the alfalfa...

I'm sorry, Oldtimer. :( I sure hope your 1st cutting goes very well, and that you get a 2nd cutting. :)

The only ones I know are Dybruckers. I probably spelled their name wrong. Alot of angus and angus cross around.

A friend does an old time keel boat trip on the Missouri.
Husband had a friend drowned on that river, you will never get him on it for any reason.

I luv herfrds":yjjnsr1o said:
The only ones I know are Dybruckers. I probably spelled their name wrong. Alot of angus and angus cross around.

A friend does an old time keel boat trip on the Missouri.
Husband had a friend drowned on that river, you will never get him on it for any reason.

Very treacherous old river...If the Muddy Missouri could speak- a lot of homicides could be solved- lot of missing persons found...I know of several bodies that were seen in the river- or were stuck there by someone, that were never seen again....
When I was Sheriff- once in awhile a skull or jawbone or something would wash to shore.....

Not surprised.

Hot again. 99 today. Getting up pretty early to start bring the straw bales home. Kids want to go to the state fair.Might send them and their dad to it, but somebody better stay home close to the fire truck.
Few good fire close by nothing in our area yet, just waiting though could get a doozey going.

Latest posts