Hotlander Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
Have any of you guys heard about this breed? Its (Senopol X Simmental) bulls over brangus cows "Hotlander" A friend was telling me about them and I wanted to see if any of you guys have heard of them... R.A. Brown Ranch in Throckmorton Texas produces them

Simmental7":1s9xqc7m said:
Have any of you guys heard about this breed? Its (Senopol X Simmental) bulls over brangus cows "Hotlander" A friend was telling me about them and I wanted to see if any of you guys have heard of them... R.A. Brown Ranch in Throckmorton Texas produces them

Seen them advertised haven't seen anyone in this part of the world bite.
Most in my part of Texas are pretty hardcore stuck on Brangus, Braford or Beefmaster cow's.
Bull's is pretty well Angus, Brangus, Char or Hereford.

Ain't there quite a few ole santa gertrudis cows down in your part of the country and do people use much Simmy or Gelbvieh bulls also what about Simbrah?

Simmental7":1j5dihgv said:
Ain't there quite a few ole santa gertrudis cows down in your part of the country and do people use much Simmy or Gelbvieh bulls also what about Simbrah?

Gert's are rare around here I couldn't even tell you where to find a Simbrah.
The Gert's fell out of favor year's ago due to pecker problem's and fertility.
I bet I haven't seen 10 Gert's go through the salebarn in a year.
These have been corrected they just can't get rid of the perception.
The Tiger is the queen cow here followed by Brangus.
I know of one guy using Gelbvieh.
The pastures around here pretty much have four breeds of bull's Angus,Brangus,Char and Hereford.

I can tell you where to find all of the Simbrahs you want..

Have two Simbrah bulls (purebred and a 3/4x1/4) at work now and the first calves are on the ground and we are loving the results.

Very plentiful in central and south Texas.

I saw 2 herds of simbrahs up in Brazos and Burleson Counties a few weeks ago.
I believe CT member Colleen has Simbrah down around Winnie.

greybeard":1u0zd0es said:

They sure aren't popular in this part of the state.
After the drought I doubt they ever will be.
The folk's here that were running the other breed's for lack of better term are running back to the girl's they came to the dance with year's ago. People are fighting to put a gray Brimmer, F-1 Tiger or Brangus back in the pasture's.
The tiger and Brangus being the most popular.
One of the larger operations around sold over 200 momma cow's and went somewhere and brought in a 100 grey brimmer girl's and Hereford bull's.

I have personally heard a lot of good things about the tigers, but why are or why do people think there so much better then the Brangus girls? and do they usually put a char X Tiger? or...

Simmental7":rtb2h7n9 said:
I have personally heard a lot of good things about the tigers, but why are or why do people think there so much better then the Brangus girls? and do they usually put a char X Tiger? or...

One reason is you have so many options on the bull with them.
They can eat barb wire and briar's and still wean a calf that will mash down the scales.
They are exceptionally long lived, not uncommon to be 20+ and still dropping a calf every 12 month's.
Now Tiger's are not for rookies and those that have no experience with Brimmer girl's. You lead brimmer's you don't drive them anywhere. They will fight a buzzsaw and win.They are very intelligent and will not tolerate any abuse.
As far as bull's go Hereford, Angus and Char are popular choice's. Angus and Hereford would be number one choice, Char is growing in popularity here.

Caustic Burno":3c20ew3n said:
greybeard":3c20ew3n said:

They sure aren't popular in this part of the state.
After the drought I doubt they ever will be.
The folk's here that were running the other breed's for lack of better term are running back to the girl's they came to the dance with year's ago. People are fighting to put a gray Brimmer, F-1 Tiger or Brangus back in the pasture's.
The tiger and Brangus being the most popular.
One of the larger operations around sold over 200 momma cow's and went somewhere and brought in a 100 grey brimmer girl's and Hereford bull's.

Why are grey brahmans more popular than the reds?

As far as red vs grey brahman, I personally prefer the grey brahman. The reds have a whole lot more ear and leather. With the greys, you can find some beefier types that have a bit less ear and leather.

LauraleesFarm":cz39mqd0 said:
As far as red vs grey brahman, I personally prefer the grey brahman. The reds have a whole lot more ear and leather. With the greys, you can find some beefier types that have a bit less ear and leather.

The speckled ones use to be real popular when I was younger.

We have been using Hotlander bulls from Rob and Donnell Brown since 1998. We started with a herd of Simmental and Simbrah cows. The Hotlander bulls cleaned up the cancer eye issues we had with the purebred Simmentals and all of the udder issues we had with the Simbrahs. The Hotlander females are moderate framed and much easier keepers. We have been very pleased with the cattle and I am happy to answer any questions about them.

Great bulls on angus cows here in the SW. If you are willing to cull and keep the best heifers we have been really happy with them. That Senepol blood is good.

Latest posts