Horses, cattle and hot wire

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
There are 6 horses where I'm about to put put some Herefords. The Herefords will have 28 acres and there is a two strand hot wire separating the cattle & horses. I even put little orange tape flags about every 10 ft. on the top wire for the horses to see. It's been up only 6 days and the horse owner e-mailed and said the horses went through the fence but he fixed it back. I'm not a big horse fan but I do have to deal with it and the horses owner's are super nice and letting me use the 28 acre pasture. I think the problem is the horses get to playing and running really wild and probably just run right through it. I'm having second thoughts about putting some nice bred Hereford cows out there. Any advice is apprreciated.

make sure the fence is hot......

I mean hot......

once a horse learns about electric fence they respect it much more than cattle do.

the way they learn is they have to be shocked one time.

there are a few idiot horses that don't seem to get the message but the vast majority will catch on to it very well.

i can use plastic baler twine to build a temporay fence for my horses,

i have a good gallagher charger and they never test the fence. they know where the wire gates are and if they see me open one to change pastures they will come up to the gate and stop and look to make sure the wire is moved before entering the field

pdfangus":bh4mkd61 said:
make sure the fence is hot......

I mean hot......

once a horse learns about electric fence they respect it much more than cattle do.

the way they learn is they have to be shocked one time.

there are a few idiot horses that don't seem to get the message but the vast majority will catch on to it very well.

i can use plastic baler twine to build a temporay fence for my horses,

i have a good gallagher charger and they never test the fence. they know where the wire gates are and if they see me open one to change pastures they will come up to the gate and stop and look to make sure the wire is moved before entering the field

thats how are are. it doesnt matter if they are running or playing our horses have never ran through a fence unless it was a stud trying to fight or f@$k. like he said make that wire hot. honestly if they are used to cattle and good saddle horses even if they get in with yours there shouldnt be a problem. we always turn ours out in cattle when not using them. but ours dont run through fence either so they might get to chasing your cows specially if one is proud cut or a stud they can get to chasing and biting.

I have a quarter horse mare who ocassionally loves to chase cows. She will run em til they have to go thru the fence to get away from her. she does not do it all the time but if the urge strikes i end up fixing fence.

so I just don't turn her in with the cattle. The rest don't bother the cattle.

I didn't have it hooked up as good as I should have and it was only about 4500 volts. I re-did it this afternoon and it's reading between 6000-7000 volts. Is that hot enough?

if you get the fence hot enough,a smart horse will only hit it once an then leave it the devil alone.i had a big old saddle horse that learned about hotwires by accadent.he got out so we went an caught him.an i put him in an old wooden corral with a hotwire over head.an before i could chain the gate old buck raised his head all the way up.an the hotwire busted him between his ears.an he ran to the gate an stopped.well from then on he would walk with his head down,or follow whoever went in the lot.because he knew he wouldnt get lite up following them.

I raise performance quarter horses, and I have some preferences with electric fences. First, wire fences of any kind can be a big danger to horses, especially round wire. I use white tape fence. It's a woven fence, that uses small threads of wire interwoven into the white weave. Horses can see it very easily, even at night, where the small round wire becomes invisible.

the negative part of this fence is when it is windy, it vibrates like crazy. You can nearly remove all the vibration by simply twisting the tape 5-6 times between each post. Best wishes!

Winding the tape around a post means that when it rains or is foggy or misty will drop the voltage down on the fence.

The horses went through it because the fence had dropped down as you found out. Cattle will go through it at a higher rate than horses will. It is best to have it over 5000, to keep cattle in.

Suzie Q":2pt77xa8 said:
Winding the tape around a post means that when it rains or is foggy or misty will drop the voltage down on the fence.

The horses went through it because the fence had dropped down as you found out. Cattle will go through it at a higher rate than horses will. It is best to have it over 5000, to keep cattle in.
I think he means, twist the tape between the posts, not around the post. And my horses and cattle don't pay any attention to each other. Calves will follow the horses and lick on them while they(the horses) are grazing. Now to be politically correct I'll apologize now, if thats not what you meant about wrapping the tape around the post.

novatech":1xufm3wf said:
So what is the harm done if they get together upon occasion?
well a horse that chases cows could cause alot of damage to cows such as broken legs an dead calves.we had an a welsh horse that chased cows.an he left this farm fast.

It is best not to have a horse in while the cows are calving, unless the paddock is big enough with hidey holes for the cows to get away. If you get to that stage.

Other than that, just like horses, cattle are herd animals, you are supposed to have more than one.

It's been a long, long time since I had horses. When I did they always ran with the cows. The neighbors did too. Fact is unless they were being seperated for some specific reason I didn't know a soul that didn't pasture horses with the cows. I guess if the horses were not used to it there could be a problem.

I cannot keep my horses with my cattle..they are performance horses, cowbred and will chase and "work" any cow they are with.

Regarding electric, most smart horses only need to be shocked once to get the point across..but some horses are also smart enough to know how to go under or over it..or the fence may not have enough charge to really make the experience of touching it unpleasant for them.

Talk perhaps with the horseowner..mabey he could use some help getting this situation under control..its not healthy for his horses either. Friend of mine's horse ran thru an electric fence, got tangeled up and lay there for a day under the 100+ degree sun til they found him..he wasnt in to good of a shape.

Suzie Q":3g10l3j7 said:

I didn't say I wind the tape around the post....I said I twist it between each post. It doesn't touch the post. That's why God invented insulators on the eighth day. :idea:

Roadapple":33mpyui3 said:
Suzie Q":33mpyui3 said:

I think he means, twist the tape between the posts, not around the post. And my horses and cattle don't pay any attention to each other. Calves will follow the horses and lick on them while they(the horses) are grazing. Now to be politically correct I'll apologize now, if thats not what you meant about wrapping the tape around the post.

Exactly...thanks

I have a mare that plays with the cows, and doesn't care if they are calves or heavy breds, so I have to be careful when pasturing her with cattle.

Aaaah well I didn't know that. How tight do you twist? I set up some electric fencing yesterday and used some of that electric rope. I guess you don't twist that? It was very easy with the reel. Much easier than the tape.

5 to 6 twists between each post. I just unroll it, and alternate directions the tape is twisted... I used the widest tape possible, simply for visability purposes, and it's easy to install. I have several friends who use the "rope" fence, and they seem to be happy with it. It's kind of uncanny how much that tape vibrates in the wind if not twisted.

I am guessing your posts are much closer together than mine!!!

I just received this and no I don't believe it.

If you have ever used an electric fence or know someone who has one you should read this. The language used is rather salty, but 'he tells it like it is' without cursing. If you don't laugh hysterically at this, CHECK YOUR PULSE... this is funny... and true. This was sent by a retired dentist.
Starts:…."We have the standard 6 ft. fence in the backyard, and a few months ago, I heard about burglaries increasing dramatically in the entire city. To make sure this never happened to me, I got an electric fence and ran a single wire along the top of the fence. Actually, I got the biggest cattle charger that "Tractor Supply" had, made for 26 miles of fence. I then used an 8 ft. long earthing rod, and drove it 7.5 ft. into the ground. The earthing rod is the key, in that the more you have in the ground, the better the fence works.
One day I'm mowing the back yard with my cheapo Wal-Mart 6 hp big wheel push-mower. The hot wire is broken and laying out in the yard. I knew for a fact that I had unplugged the charger. I pushed the mower around the wire and reached down to grab it, to throw it out of the way. It seems as though I hadn't unplugged it after all.
Now, I'm standing there, I've got the running lawnmower in my right hand and the 1.7 giga-volt fence wire in the other hand. Keep in mind the charger is about the size of a car battery and has a picture of an upside down cow on fire on the cover. Time stood still………..The first thing I notice is my pecker trying to climb up the front side of my body. My ears are curling downwards and I can feel the lawnmower ignition firing in the backside of my brain. Every time that engine turned over, I could feel the spark in my head. I was literally at one with the engine.
It seems as though the fence charger and the **** lawnmower were fighting over who would control my body impulses.
Science says you cannot crap, pee, and vomit at the same time. I beg to differ. Not only did I do all three at once, but my bowels emptied 3 different times in 3 seconds . It was a Matrix kind of bowel movement…. where time is creeping along and you're all leaned back and BAM BAM BAM you just crap your pants 3 times. It seemed like there were minutes in between but in reality it was so close together. It was like exhaust pulses from a big donkey engine. At this point I'm about 30 minutes (maybe 2 seconds) into holding onto the fence wire. My hand is wrapped around the wire, palm down so I can't let go. I grew up on a farm so I know all about electric fences. But Dad always had those piece of **** chargers made by International, that were like 9 volts and just kinda tickled. This one would not let go. The 8 ft. long ground rod is now accepting signals from me through the permadamp river bottom soil. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to have to just man up and take it, until the lawnmower runs out of gas. "****!" I think, as I remember I just filled the tank! Now the lawnmower is starting to run rough. It has settled into a loping run pattern as if it had some kind of big lawnmower race cam in it. Covered in poop, pee, and with my vomit on my chest, I think 'Oh God please let me die……..Pleeeeaze die'. But nooooo, it settles into the rough lumpy tick-over nicely, and remains there, like a big bore motor waiting for the GO command from its owner's right foot.
So here I am in the middle of July, 104 degrees, 80% humidity, standing in my own backyard, begging God to kill me. God did not take me that day. He left me there covered in my own fluids to writhe in the misery of my own stupidity. I honestly don't know how I got loose from the wire. I woke up laying on the ground hours later. The lawnmower was beside me, out of gas. It was later on in the day and I was sunburned. There were two large dead grass spots where I had been standing, and then another long skinny dead spot where the wire had laid while I was on the ground, still holding onto it. I assume I finally had a seizure and in the resulting thrashing had somehow let go of the wire. Upon waking from my electrically induced sleep I realized a few things:
1 - Three of the fillings in my teeth have melted.
2 - I now have cramps in the bottoms of my feet and my right butt cheek (not the left, just the right).
3 - Poop, pee, and vomit when all mixed together, do not smell as bad as you might think.
4 - My left eye will not open.
5 - My right eye will not close.
6 - The lawnmower runs like a dream now. Seriously! I think our little session cleared out some carbon fouling or something, because it has been better than new after that.
7 - My nuts are still smaller than average yet they are almost a foot long.
8 - I can turn on the TV in the games room by farting while thinking of the number 4 (still don't understand this???).
That day changed my life. I now have a newfound respect for things. I appreciate the little things more, and now I always triple check to make sure the fence is unplugged before I mow.
The good news, is that if a burglar does try to come over the fence, I can clearly visualize what my security system will do to him, and THAT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, which also reminds me to triple check before I mow.