horse slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think horse slaughter houses should be shut down?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hippie Rancher":159b9xog said:
It is a shme that excess animals have to be put down, but are you going to adopt them all? The same problem happens with dogs and cats (all pets!)

Might as well get some use from the meat and byproducts.

Yes it is a cryin' shame and a big problem. I certainly don't want any animal abused or mistreated, but the question remains, what is the answer to dealing with all these unwanted and overpopulated animals?

ffscj":39017qka said:
And I still would like to know why the slaughter of horses for meat is still considered so terrible.

Chris

I don't think the slaughter of horses for meat or by products is a bad thing. I think it's the way they are processed that bothers people. Maybe the industry should look at some more humane ways to process like the beef industry does.

FROGHOLLOWFARM":2ppewa7r said:
I don't have any problem with slaughtering animals for meat.BUT it should be done humanely.Maybe they need some type of protocol or law to insure that.

There is already a law on the books to insure that - I believe it's called The Humane Slaughter Act. It also covers proper transportation.

ffscj":1cm7zmc5 said:
And I still would like to know why the slaughter of horses for meat is still considered so terrible.

Chris

If you should get an answer to that question, would you please pass it along? I would sure appreciate it.

redman1":3jwb3g4x said:
AGAINST!!! Have any of you ever seen what these horses go through? Do your horses a favor and visit a horse slaughter house. They are NOT humanely killed. They are not humanely transported. Most of the horses slaughtered in this so-called great country are completely SOUND. Some are even stolen. There are 3 remaining houses open, 2 in Tx. and 1 in Il. They are hit in the head repeatedly with a captive bolt gun. Most are still aware of what is going on when they are hung by 1 back leg and their throats slit, leaving them to bleed to death or drowned in their own blood. They are not killed like cattle or pigs. Do a search, look at the horrific photos and then look at your own horses, now tell me, could you do that to your own beloved horse? I raise and show cattle and own 5 horses. 2 of my horses were adotped through an equine rescue. Thank GOD they were there to save the ones they could from slaughter otherwise the beautiful 16H registered black and white Paint my 8 year old daughter is riding would be on a European plate! Perfectly SOUND! Just like the pregnant mares whose babies are cut from them and thrown away like a piece of trash! I pray that this bill is passed and ends the MURDERING of America's horses!

Sounds to me like you've been reading too many PETA publications. If you know for a fact that they are not being transported humanely, report it, there is a federal law in place to deal with that.

You have obviously no idea what even goes on from salebarn to slaughterhouse. A man was just charged in Texarkana for hauling horses that were being transported inhumanely. The horses had deep, fresh wounds from head to tail. I urge you all to do a search for a video called Humane Farming. It will show you exactly how horses are treated and killed in the slaughterhouses. There is no point in arguing over the matter. Your side will never see our side. Just agree to disagree. I feel sorry for your horses knowing that someday you will give them the same horrible ending if this bill is not passed. At least I know that mine are safe.

redman1":1trx550d said:
I feel sorry for your horses knowing that someday you will give them the same horrible ending if this bill is not passed. At least I know that mine are safe.

You do not have to feel sorry for my horses. They will be on my property until the day they die. Just because I believe that we should allow horse slaughter does not mean that I feel that it should be done inhumanely and we should be fighting to change the way it is done instead of trying to outlaw the slaughter. Outlawing the slaughter will open another whole set of problems. Thousands of unwanted horses will be left and most will probably not be cared for. What do you plan for them? Horse rescues? These facilities are already overburdened, are expensive to run and are few and far between.

And who are you to tell someone else that they can't eat horsemeat? I don't want someone telling me I can't eat something therefore I will not try to tell them.

So lets agree to disagree on the slaughter of horses but agree that something needs to be done to insure that it will be done humanely, both in the killing and the transportation.

Chris

Contact Congress to prevent the horse slaughter ban:

http://capwiz.com/beefusa/issues/alert/ ... 26&type=CO

ORGANIZATIONS OPPOSING
"THE AMERICAN HORSE SLAUGHTER PREVENTION ACT"

Agribusiness Association of Iowa
American Association of Equine Practitioners
American Farm Bureau Federation
American Feed Industry Association
American Meat Institute
American Quarter Horse Association
American Paint Horse Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
Animal Health Institute
Animal Welfare Council
California Cattlemen's Association
Colorado Horse Council
Colorado Outfitters Association
Equine Nutrition and Physiology Society
Federation of Animal Science Societies
Florida Cattlemen's Association
Grain & Feed Association of Illinois
Hooved Animal Rescue and Protection Society
Iowa Cattlemen's Association
Horsemen's Council of Illinois
Illinois Beef Association
Illinois Farm Bureau
Indiana Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Assoc.
Kansas Grain & Feed Association
Kansas Livestock Association
Kentucky Quarter Horse Association
Livestock Marketing Association
Masters of Foxhounds Association of North America
Michigan Horse Council
Michigan Agri-Business Association
Mid-America Horse Show Association
Missouri Equine Council, Inc.

National Cattlemen's Beef Association
National Chicken Council
National Grain & Feed Association
National High School Rodeo Association
National Milk Producers Federation
National Pork Producers Council
National Turkey Federation
Nevada Cattlemen's Association
New Jersey Horse Council, Inc.
New York State Horse Council, Inc.
North Carolina Horse Council
Ohio Agribusiness Association
Ohio Cattlemen's Association
Ohio Horsemen's Council
Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association
Oklahoma Grain & Feed Association
Pacific Coast Quarter Horse Association
Palomino Breeders of America
Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association
Rocky Mountain Quarter Horse Association
South Dakota Quarter Horse Association
Texas Grain & Feed Association
Texas Horse Council
Texas & Southwest Cattle Raisers Assoc.
United Egg Producers
U.S. Animal Health Association
Utah Horse Council
Utah State Quarter Horse Association
Vermont Quarter Horse Association
Virginia State Horse Council
Virginia Farm Bureau
Wisconsin Horse Council

Redman1 - your information has been skewed. The reason a bolt is used (rarely more than once) is for food safety reasons. The animal must be stunned. If it isn't, the animal tenses up, preventing the blood from draining. The stun also speeds up the heart rate. The animal is hung from its back legs to force the blood through the jugular veins, lessening the time for it to die - ususally less than 1 minute. It is very humane and creates safer food. I used to work in a plant - I know.

I hate to see the slaughter houses shut down, I believe you will then see alot of starving horses everywhere. There are alot of people that have horses who can barely afford to feed them. If they can't sell em for a couple bucks they will probly starve em. Just my opinion but I don't like horses anyway, but I hate to see any anything suffer.

I know when I lived in Canada. There was a big deal made
about Horse meat mixed in the burger at Mickey D'ss.
We just stop going.

redman1":2igqvsds said:
You have obviously no idea what even goes on from salebarn to slaughterhouse.

Apparently you've never heard the old saying about making assumptions. :lol: :lol: You don't know me, and you don't have a damn clue about what I do or do not know - so please spare me your hysterical,emotional bullshit!

A man was just charged in Texarkana for hauling horses that were being transported inhumanely. The horses had deep, fresh wounds from head to tail.

'A' man that broke the law automatically means all of them are breaking the law, huh? Right!!! :roll: You might consider thinking with your head, not your heart - there are bad apples in every bunch, that is no reason to toss them all.

There is no point in arguing over the matter. Your side will never see our side.

Then why did you bother to post again?

I feel sorry for your horses knowing that someday you will give them the same horrible ending if this bill is not passed. At least I know that mine are safe.

I would rather my horses go to slaughter than to be dumped in some pasture and left to starve. But, since neither one is going to happen, you don't need to be worrying about my horses - that time would be better spent getting a grip on reality.

redman1 said:
AGAINST!!! Have any of you ever seen what these horses go through? Do your horses a favor and visit a horse slaughter house. They are NOT humanely killed. They are not humanely transported. Most of the horses slaughtered in this so-called great country are completely SOUND. Some are even stolen. There are 3 remaining houses open, 2 in Tx. and 1 in Il. They are hit in the head repeatedly with a captive bolt gun. Most are still aware of what is going on when they are hung by 1 back leg and their throats slit, leaving them to bleed to death or drowned in their own blood. They are not killed like cattle or pigs. Do a search, look at the horrific photos and then look at your own horses, now tell me, could you do that to your own beloved horse?

Yes I could. They are just another animal. The slaughter process that you described is how cattle and pigs are harvested.

With hay being short and very expensive here in East Texas, I have heard of several of the rescue operations begging for donations. When people cannot take care of the animals OR don't want to feed or care for one that does not have value to them, what are they supposed to do. Many will get turned out to fend for themselves. I would have never thought that people would have turned emus loose on the road, but we had a good many run wild in my area until they starved out or the coyotes got them.

We can't "save" them all. Dogs and cats included. Slaughter and euthanasia are necessary.

If left in the wild, a large percentage of those horses would not be alive....killed and eaten by yotes or dogs or whatever....

now, we are busy removing the counterbalances that nature provided, so what do we do now? You want to see brutal, send em a video of a pack of wild dogs taking down a foal.

H.R. 503 has PASSED the house! Not that any of you horse killers care.

Latest posts