horse slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think horse slaughter houses should be shut down?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
2 only in the US. Tarrant County, where the Beltex plant is located, and Kaufman County, where Dallas Crown is. Both foreing owned. Have lots of people wanting them shut down. Looked at a web site, Freinds of animals or some crap like that. Screwed up folks. Paul Harvey spoke poorly of us horsemen the other day. I wrote him a letter on his site and he or someone sent me a letter back. Thanking me for being such a fan of his and supporting him in his effort to stop the killing of horses. I guesse they did not read my letter.

Scotty":2aponvfw said:
2 only in the US.

There are 3 plants in the U.S., and I believe 4 in Canada. On another note, all of them are foreign owned and I apologize for my error in stating otherwise (thanks, Silver Charm :) ). :oops:

My mistake, you are right. If you want to know what we are up against go to friendsofanimals.org

Scotty":2eshncgu said:
My mistake, you are right. If you want to know what we are up against go to friendsofanimals.org

No problem - I just visited the Humane Society of the United States web site and they are backing the anti-horse slaughter bill, too.

I agree,there's nothing wrong with eating horse,but I'd have to be really hungry to do it..the care and transport of these animals has to be addressed ,it has to be humane.[/u]

There is a horse slaughter plant in Kaufman, TX that I pass by everyday on my way to feed my animals. I can see the tops of their heads over the solid walls. I say a silent prayer for each animal. We have a problem with animals being stolen and sold for slaughter. Most of the time, the animals are gone before the owners can do anything about it.

I don't have a problem with putting down an injured or sick animal of any kind, but I do have a problem with slaughtering these animals for export purposes only. Most of the meat goes to Japan. It just seems that our country is ruled by the almighty dollar more than anything anymore and it saddens me.

There have been several attempts to shut the Kaufman plant down, but some special interest group manages to keep it open. It is not very popular in the area.

If all of the sudden all of the cattle of the world were gone I'd be breeding horses for more marbling. :cboy: A horse is just another of Gods animals that he gave us dominion over and they are a lot cleaner than chickens and pigs.

BTRANCH":3ri9bycv said:
I don't have a problem with putting down an injured or sick animal of any kind, but I do have a problem with slaughtering these animals for export purposes only. Most of the meat goes to Japan.

I can understand where you are coming from, but do you not think it is better that these unwanted horses are killed and exported than the alternative of probably being neglected, abused, or simply left to starve? What is going to happen to all of the unwanted horses if the slaughter plants are closed? I suspect a lot of them will be bootlegged into Canada and slaughtered there, and that means even longer trips under probably worse conditions than is already happening. To me, it is a much greater cruelty to allow these animals to be neglected, starved, or forced to endure longer trips to slaughter than it is to slaughter them here for exported meat. There will ALWAYS be unscrupulous people who will try to beat the system and outwit the laws to try and make a buck - that is the way it has always been and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Tod Dague":3qlkar77 said:
If all of the sudden all of the cattle of the world were gone I'd be breeding horses for more marbling. :cboy: A horse is just another of Gods animals that he gave us dominion over and they are a lot cleaner than chickens and pigs.

Yup. There was a time when eating horse wasnt that unacceptable in the U.S. We have become victims of our own political correctness and think we can judge others by our own ideals.

3MR":2xtg1vcz said:
Tod Dague":2xtg1vcz said:

Yup. There was a time when eating horse wasnt that unacceptable in the U.S. We have become victims of our own political correctness and think we can judge others by our own ideals.

I agree. Somewhere along the line horses became equated with dogs and cats - although a lot of cultures eat them, as well. Come to think of it, there are also cultures that eat 2-legged animals, perhaps we should be happy there are 4-legged ones available? :shock: Sorry, a leftover from my Cultural Anthropology class last spring. :oops:

across he road from me .guy has about 75 grazeing on pasture ,there going for meat I have mare I never got around to training, He has nice smokey blue roan stud horse 2 years old Im going to trade him.

Carlos D.":2ibkao2i said:
across he road from me .guy has about 75 grazeing on pasture ,there going for meat I have mare I never got around to training, He has nice smokey blue roan stud horse 2 years old Im going to trade him.

Carlos D., are you saying this guy is raising horses specifically for slaughter?

msscamp":oj0x4olb said:
Carlos D.":oj0x4olb said:

Carlos D., are you saying this guy is raising horses specifically for slaughter?
No he doesn't raise them-he just picks them up in auctions.We have P.M.U. lines here (pregnant mares urine) which is used for various things The most popular use is for hormonal use after women have a hystorectomy SO they produce colts which are generally pretty cheap--as low as 25.00 dollars most of them run pretty fair studs

carl

Well I couldda been one of the first to post on this , glad I didn't, I sure am relieved. :lol:

What is the need for this law? And who is pushing for it?

I live in what is becoming a legislated nightmare for agriculture. Nutrient Management Act, Clean Water Act, must have Environmental Farm Plan, Nutrient Management Plan, and on and on ...

At one point it was illegal to have cloven hooved livestock stand or defecate in water ( ponds/streams etc ) Farmers pointed out to the brilliant lawmakers that snow was frozen water so they had to ammend that!! :lol:

When I go hunting I have to have a licence to possess a firearm, I have to have the licence for the firearm I am carrying, and a licence to hunt whatever I am hunting. If not on my own property I must have written permission from the landowner. ( All original, no photocopies ).

If I go fishing, you got it, a licence for fishing, and a licence to operate the boat or personal watercraft.

Please don't let the tree-hugging parasitic welfare-loving trash take over like we have. :mad:

Horses are livestock. They have their place in the food chain. Only the spoiled, priviledged daughters of citiefied woosies would not realize that.

Don't let em make a single law that isn't absolutely necessary and justified. Sometimes it's good to be paranoid, because people are after you! :eek:

P.S. - save me a couple hundred acres down there, somewhere in the southern N.Y. or Virginia area!

It should be an individual choice as to whether to send a horse to slaughter. Look at all the hoopla over HR 503 American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. The soft at heart have elevated horses (WHICH are livestock) to companion animal status. We do not eat horse flesh in this country, but do sell some to foreign countries that consider it a delicacy. Why should we not deny them food. Would you let a Hindu tell you to quit eating beef just because they are sacred to them.

On another note, why shouldn't a horse owner be able to salvage some value from an animal that is no longer needed or able to work instead of having to pay out to have it euthanized and then pay out again to have a back hoe come bury it. If you want to do that for your animals FINE, just don't make me do it. A quote from the movie "Jerry Maguire" - "Show Me the Money".

AGAINST!!! Have any of you ever seen what these horses go through? Do your horses a favor and visit a horse slaughter house. They are NOT humanely killed. They are not humanely transported. Most of the horses slaughtered in this so-called great country are completely SOUND. Some are even stolen. There are 3 remaining houses open, 2 in Tx. and 1 in Il. They are hit in the head repeatedly with a captive bolt gun. Most are still aware of what is going on when they are hung by 1 back leg and their throats slit, leaving them to bleed to death or drowned in their own blood. They are not killed like cattle or pigs. Do a search, look at the horrific photos and then look at your own horses, now tell me, could you do that to your own beloved horse? I raise and show cattle and own 5 horses. 2 of my horses were adotped through an equine rescue. Thank GOD they were there to save the ones they could from slaughter otherwise the beautiful 16H registered black and white Paint my 8 year old daughter is riding would be on a European plate! Perfectly SOUND! Just like the pregnant mares whose babies are cut from them and thrown away like a piece of trash! I pray that this bill is passed and ends the MURDERING of America's horses!

It is a shme that excess animals have to be put down, but are you going to adopt them all? The same problem happens with dogs and cats (all pets!)

Might as well get some use from the meat and byproducts.

I don't have any problem with slaughtering animals for meat.BUT it should be done humanely.Maybe they need some type of protocol or law to insure that.