Horse question

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
We just recently bought a horse ( mare ) She may be pregnant as the lady we bought her from said she has been exposed. The question is we have her on a pasture with 3 calves that I would like to feed. I have some medicated feed, but I know if I leave the feed in the pasture the horse will eat it all. Will the medicated feed for the calves hurt the horse?

I wouldn't do that even if she wasn't bred. Horses are alot different than calves, it might be easier to get a creep feeder for the calves so the horse can't get to the feed.

You have to be careful about feed for horses as well as minerals, Anything that has for example urea doesn't need to be fed to horses it is hard on there kidneys. Loose salt is not good for horses. If your not sure you could ask your local feed store if something is safe for a horse. They should know. And I don't know what kind of hay or pasture you have but a pregnant horse doesn't need fescue at all it causes alot of problems. Its not really good for any horses if they aren't use to it.

Anything with Monansin(?) in it is lethal to horses, some medicated feeds contain this, also some mineral mixes as an anti bloat additive - also you wouldn't want a horse having free access to any kind of concentrated feed - they founder easy on that kind of diet. Plus, as Bez has said many times - they'll run the fat off your calves - if the horse is at the feeder she won't let the calves near it - so even if she doesn't chase them, they won't do as well with her in there. You're probably better off to take the horse out.

mrsscamp, I have been told my whole life that a horse will strangle on loose salt. May not be the case. You know how that is if something happens to 1 horse people tend to think it is a given for all horses. May not be true thats just what I was led to believe. Just like I will never leave a halter on a horse in the field again. When I was a kid I left it on my horse so I could catch her . Well one day I found her down with her back foot in the halter. I guess she was scratching her chin and it got hung. I had to call a neighbor to cut the halter off her. He told me to never leave a halter on 1 again. Same guy that told me about the salt. Anyway I may have been wrong about the salt.

J&T Farm":3svkorck said:
mrsscamp, I have been told my whole life that a horse will strangle on loose salt. May not be the case. You know how that is if something happens to 1 horse people tend to think it is a given for all horses. May not be true thats just what I was led to believe. Just like I will never leave a halter on a horse in the field again. When I was a kid I left it on my horse so I could catch her . Well one day I found her down with her back foot in the halter. I guess she was scratching her chin and it got hung. I had to call a neighbor to cut the halter off her. He told me to never leave a halter on 1 again. Same guy that told me about the salt. Anyway I may have been wrong about the salt.

Thanks for the explanation, J&T Farm, I appreciate it. :) Yes, I do know how those things go - I can't even remember all the horror stories I've heard from people over the years. :roll: FWIW - I agree with not leaving halters on horses in the pasture or pen, but I wholeheartedly disagree about the loose salt.

we've always kept a mineral block out for the cows, and it never gave the horses any problems whatsoever. maybe it depends on the type.

We run cattle and horses together all year the mares and colts run with our cows and we have a few more than two or three.Med.feed for calves you can't feed to horses at all it should tell you on the tag.Our feed always says what to do and not just in case.You can't free choice feed horses.Still not a cow most will eat untill they founder/Very few horses will eat get full and stop right there.The salt deal,a horse that is salt deficient will eat it untill he is sick,that is where the choke comes in they will get a mouth full and the taste alone will kinda gag em try it get you a handfull and stick it in your mouth and see how it works..A block works best here.Loose salt is fine if they are not deficient.Ben on several places they keep salt and min. in loose boxes for all the horses as well as cows.Make sure they have plenty of water as you probably already do.But you cant feed lot cattle and horses in the same pen or trap.We feed the horses and cows in the winter just alike and never have had trouble.20%cake and round bales.If the feed is in no way med.or no additives for cattle or sheep like that it is all natural.Corn oats milo like that horsaes can eat it.Iknow several that creep feed their colts and feed creep to horses they ride and never have had a problem.Problems always come when a horse is deficient in any thing they eat to fill that deficiency and lots of things bad happen.Just ask the feed dealer read the tags and maby ask a vet in your area County extension office has lots of material that is usefull.Good question to ask here and shows you wern't sure but willing to do the resaearch.Thats what you are supposed to do ask.

Latest posts