Horse Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a horse last year to use as a ranch horse. He is very gentle and I can do about anything on him. THe only problem I have with him is that he has no cow sence in him what so ever. I can manually push them around and he is not scared of them it is just a real pain to drag him around the pasture not knowing what he is doing. I have considered just ridding him anyway, I have considered trying to teach him or have some one else teach him, and finally I have considered selling him. I don't think that I could sell him though he is so gentle and we have become such a good team that it would be really hard. Any imput any one?

Cow sense comes in two different flavors...the naturals and the ones that have to work for it. Dont see many naturals anymore... at least you wont unless you find a good line of ranch breds and stick with them...hard to find one amongst the trader and horse peddler junk. That leaves you the hard way...the wet saddle blanket way...lots of days spent with cattle and pulling off wet blankets ever night
The wet saddle blanket formula is still no guarantee...a lot of them still wont ever make it...but I can promise you one thing for sure....unless youve got a natural it wont happen without lots and lots of wet blankets. Not being mean,but if you want cow in that horse the best thing you can do is get off that computer and hit the leather...get your boots in the stirrups...and keep em there. Good luck!!!

Try leaving your horse together with a few head of cattle in a pen for two or three days and fork only enough hay for them to eat in one area once or twice daily. Horses seem to catch on quickly about moving cattle when they're competing with them for feed.

Good luck with your horse.

Take care.

CA wrote:

Horses seem to catch on quickly about moving cattle when they're competing with them for feed.

How true - I have a couple that will not let a cow anywhere near them. especially if there is feed in the equation.

Bez

Latest posts