Horse people vs cattle people

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria":3bhfrq74 said:
they'll do things like park their trucks in your field so it doesn't damage their grass. :roll:

I thnk that would turn out to be the day I had invited all my friends over for a turkey shoot in that field.

Grippie":1k2vgmv7 said:
msscamp":1k2vgmv7 said:
Bez>":1k2vgmv7 said:
grubbie":1k2vgmv7 said:
We've had a population explosion in our area. Now we are surrounded by horse people. Anyone with 5 acres has 5 or even 10 horses to go with it and turned into instant "cowboys". That's fine, but now they all come riding across our land, with their dogs, bothering cows, and leaving gates open. We have since locked gates, made it clear there is no trespassing, and now we are the jerks of the county. They can't seem to find hay on bad years, so they call us. When we did sell them hay they want to come pick out a bale (large rounds) from the middle of the stack. When we tell them they can't do that, we again are the jerks of the county. Most of the time we don't have hay to sell at all. If they see one weed sticking out of a bale, they want it for free. But it doesn't necessarily just apply to horse people, it is people in general. many of our horseless neighbors shoot trophy deer and antelope along the road and just leave it there, then in the fall call us wanting permission to hunt. When we say no, again we are the jerks of the county. I am sure there are good horse people, just as there are good/bad cow people. It more comes down to just people and respecting your neighbors and your animals. I am sure I will draw fire from this post, but that's my two cents worth.

We no longer sell any hay to horse folks. Too much trouble - they see ours eating round bales and complain if there is anything "perceived" wong with the hay. Funny how our horses are so healthy eating that dusty and mouldy hay. :lol:

If that is is the quality of hay you're selling to the 'horse people', I don't blame them for complaining - I would too. Horses can't handle dusty or moldy hay - it causes chronic coughing, and can cause other problems as well. My respect for you just went down quite a few notches. If you're going to have animals, know how to take care of them, and do it properly. How many times have you bitched about this on these boards - yet you're doing it yourself. :roll:

Regards

Bez>

I think he was kidding... :roll:

Notice the smiley :p
Here you have to charge GST if the hay is for horses.That says everything.... ;-)

Little Cow":1ynbe0q8 said:
I guess I'm a little confused. You'd think we'd have more in common. We both are responsible for the care of large, rather dumb, somewhat dangerous animals, yet too often, we see things completely different. Now, we have a couple of horses, (cow horses). We don't show or anything, just use them to move cows or ride them on trails. Well, like the cattle, we take good care of them, vaccinate them, hoof care, and ensure they are mannerly. They have a barn available, but spend their days turned out. They have a good life. Not much different than the cows, 'cept they don't get eaten down the road. :D

Yet, some horse people insist horses in Florida, (we're up north, not in southern Florida), require A/C, or at least fans in their stalls or else we are being 'cruel'! Not just that, but these same people worry about a fat horse in a field on the same farm as starving cattle standing amongst some of their own that have already passed. Whaaat? Somehow, since they are cattle, they don't deserve any consideration. I have also seen horse people that own 'roping steers' that are in terrible condition. Yet, they rope them with their sleek, fat, horses without a thought to throwing some feed in the pen for the steers with ribs sticking out. These are the folks that will get us in trouble with animal rights extremists.

Now, I have known some very good horse folks that also had cattle or maintained a herd of steers for rodeo games, and their animals all look good.

So, what's up with some horse people?

A lot of them are of the liberal persuasion.

Little Cow":1gofmz7t said:
You guys have some real horror stories about hay and horse people. I always figured it was buyer beware. If I bought some hay that I was worried about feeding to horses, well, that's my problem. I should've looked at it before I loaded it or been there when it was delivered. I have never sent hay back. An occasional ripe bale either went to the cows or into compost. Maybe that's why hay dealers near me will sell me hay, even during the height of drought. Now it makes more sense that some of my snarky neighbors were unsuccessful in their hay hunts while I had a full barn. Burning bridges is never a good idea....

Just a funny note...there is a older guy in our town that rides a Longhorn steer around. His dog and duck always follow him. Funniest thing I've ever seen. You know, I think his steer is better trained than most people's horses. He rode him down the main street for the 4th of July Parade and that steer was as calm as could be. And I'm sure he puts in more saddle hours than most people do with their horses, (I know he rides more than we do).

I think we all ought to follow his example and pick out our favorite cow to break to ride. Just think, we could do everything people do with horses: ride on trails, compete in shows, (they'd do great in the western classes where the horses all jog real slow with their heads down), cutting would be natural if you're riding a boss cow. Jumping might be difficult, though....:cboy: :lol:

I agree with you on picking out your best steer to ride around out, they listen better then most kids do. I raise steers for show, my steers arent babied, they get feed, rinsed off every now and then, and get to run 2-3 times a week. I noticed at fair time that kids were off playing in the arcade or on the rides, while their parents did the work. I was there next to my steer from 6am to 11pm for several days. i left a couple times to go to the restroom and even then i had to be pryed away. I went to a western horse show and noticed the same thing, the kids off who knows where, and the parents taking care of the horses, or the horse got no attention.

ALACOWMAN":17uox20n said:
i like the ol' saying about some of the show snobs.....bunch of horse's show'in their ass's.. and ass's show'in their horses ;-)

I agree, i notced at fair shows (cattle) its all about the competion, i show and im there to have fun, learn new things, get my knowledge of cattle up, but when you ask someone what breed their steer is or what they feed them, it like trying to pry open the jaws of live. they wont budge they give you a snotty look and walk away. I found 3 people out of the good 100 or so kids showing that would tell me something. most of the kids were no where to be found, the parents were doing all thework, my parents didnt lift a finger, while we were there.

Daisy452":21ezj4pk said:
ALACOWMAN":21ezj4pk said:
i like the ol' saying about some of the show snobs.....bunch of horse's show'in their ass's.. and ass's show'in their horses ;-)

I agree, i notced at fair shows (cattle) its all about the competion, i show and im there to have fun, learn new things, get my knowledge of cattle up, but when you ask someone what breed their steer is or what they feed them, it like trying to pry open the jaws of live. they wont budge they give you a snotty look and walk away. I found 3 people out of the good 100 or so kids showing that would tell me something. most of the kids were no where to be found, the parents were doing all thework, my parents didnt lift a finger, while we were there.

I'm the same exact way at fair time. I maybe got a good hour of looking around at the fair. But the rest of the while I spent 13 hours a day, 7 days that week in the barn. I even fell asleep in the barn a few times with my claf. It just really ticks me off that other people in my barn who are supposed to care for their animals and clean their share of the stall didnt lift a finger the whole week. Its supposed to be a team effort. They came at 4 in the afternoon gave their calves 4 bottles then took off to who knows where. And at the fair it should be about fun and learning but now its all about the compition and who can out do how. I love the saying " THEY WEAR COWBOY HATS TO HIDE THEIR HORNS." Its so ture for our fair.

Daisy452":26yght3m said:
ALACOWMAN":26yght3m said:

You also have to factor in that not every kid WANTS to be there. I had friends locally where the boy my age was big in to showing calves and he did all the work and loved it as did his father and they had great times together. All that did not translate to the younger son.....who did not like showing at all. They MADE that boy show and then the father (who was a workaholic who went nonstop anyway) ended up doing most of the work and they would have big family blowups over it. Of course I would hear about the lazy brother from the older brother. Finally I asked WHY does he HAVE to show a steer if he does not want to show a steer......he had no answer for that.

If someone doesn't want to be there then they shouldn't be. We all have our responsibilities to take care of even if we don't want to do them. It's just annoying to have the public tell us to clean our barn. But then again there are always those annoying people. Last year a lady yelled at us to clean the barn since there were so many flies. There will be flies in a barn, don't know if she realized that or not.

Our friend is a vet and any vet call to a horse person is cash up front. It's funny too how the situation is always life or death.

I don't really care for horses. They are work animals to me and with all our pastures being 5-7 acres in creek bottoms and flat as a pancake, all we need to do is bang on a bucket to get them running in.

Never ate horsemeat,nor dogmeat-don't intend to. Haveing said that,if things get as bad in this country as I think they're gonna.....well,protein is protein..hungry/starveing trumps ethics
Armidillo is said to be good,and those squrrels would make a mouthful..

iowahawkeyes":30uto3mr said:
Our friend is a vet and any vet call totoo how the situation is always life or death.
  • a horse person is cash up front. It's funny
I don't really care for horses. They are work animals to me and with all our pastures being 5-7 acres in creek bottoms and flat as a pancake, all we need to do is bang on a bucket to get them running in.
well its the opposite around here cause most horse folk spend untold fortunes on their horse's, one of our best large animal vets quit cattle and went strait horse's because of it

peg4x4":2obgzjgp said:
Armidillo is said to be good,

Some on here may remember them being referred to as Hoover hogs. A bit before my time.

dun":3arhvw5s said:
peg4x4":3arhvw5s said:

Some on here may remember them being referred to as Hoover hogs. A bit before my time.

Before my time too, but I have heard that. I tried it once. I'd have to be powerfully hungry to even think about trying it again. If someone tells you "its good", they're a liar!

backhoeboogie":2jlc3yhl said:
dun":2jlc3yhl said:
peg4x4":2jlc3yhl said:

. If someone tells you "its good", they're a liar!

Probably depends on how hungry your are. I would have had to have eaten all of the possums and skunks in the area before I'ld try a diller.

Brandonm2":3q20dvrv said:
Daisy452":3q20dvrv said:
ALACOWMAN":3q20dvrv said:

You also have to factor in that not every kid WANTS to be there. I had friends locally where the boy my age was big in to showing calves and he did all the work and loved it as did his father and they had great times together. All that did not translate to the younger son.....who did not like showing at all. They MADE that boy show and then the father (who was a workaholic who went nonstop anyway) ended up doing most of the work and they would have big family blowups over it. Of course I would hear about the lazy brother from the older brother. Finally I asked WHY does he HAVE to show a steer if he does not want to show a steer......he had no answer for that.

If the kid doesnt want to do it, then its the parents faught for making him, if the kid dont speak up that his problem, he'll just be stuck in it.