Horse people vs cattle people

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
I guess I'm a little confused. You'd think we'd have more in common. We both are responsible for the care of large, rather dumb, somewhat dangerous animals, yet too often, we see things completely different. Now, we have a couple of horses, (cow horses). We don't show or anything, just use them to move cows or ride them on trails. Well, like the cattle, we take good care of them, vaccinate them, hoof care, and ensure they are mannerly. They have a barn available, but spend their days turned out. They have a good life. Not much different than the cows, 'cept they don't get eaten down the road. :D

Yet, some horse people insist horses in Florida, (we're up north, not in southern Florida), require A/C, or at least fans in their stalls or else we are being 'cruel'! Not just that, but these same people worry about a fat horse in a field on the same farm as starving cattle standing amongst some of their own that have already passed. Whaaat? Somehow, since they are cattle, they don't deserve any consideration. I have also seen horse people that own 'roping steers' that are in terrible condition. Yet, they rope them with their sleek, fat, horses without a thought to throwing some feed in the pen for the steers with ribs sticking out. These are the folks that will get us in trouble with animal rights extremists.

Now, I have known some very good horse folks that also had cattle or maintained a herd of steers for rodeo games, and their animals all look good.

So, what's up with some horse people?

Little Cow":14830buy said:
So, what's up with some horse people?

Little Cow, I think you'll find your "some horse people" to be MOST horse people. High dollar trailers and trucks too. It is just a pass time. Friend of mine owns a stable. They drive him nuts. They'll come out twice a day and feed their animals but hardly ever ride them.

Most of us refer to horses as hay burners. I've owned my share. My eldest daughter is on to me to get one for the grandchildren. I am dodging the bullet, for now.

Ain't that the truth!

Some of my thoughts:
  • 1. There are both horse and cattle people that spend their money on expensive trailers and trucks.
    2. All livestock deserve to live in a relatively natural environment with opportunities for daily grazing.
    3. The "Show" people (horses and cattle) seem to have different "genes" (as well as "Jeans") from the rest of the world.
    4. Pampered Show animals are NOT representative of their breeds (as are "Wrestlers" representative of the human race).
    5. Horse people with fancy rigs don't wave at cattle people on the road.
    6. Horse people are in two social classes: Those that spend a lot of time showing vs. those that use horses for their inherent purpose.
    7. Horses that are primarily used for showing are essentially useless for any other type of "work" or "pleasure riding".
    8. Shows are ego-enhancers and social events for the people.
    9. Horses and cattle just want (prefer to) do not much of anything except graze, breed, poop, and repeat all three.
    10. Etc.

We have both horses and cattle. We think all are very well cared for in a "natural" environment. For a looksee...just click on our website on our signature line here... :)

RA Bill,

That is a nice looking place with some good looking animals! I agree whole-heartedly that a natural environment is much better for these big animals. And, it saves you lots of $$$!

It's funny how you guys talk about the fancy horse trailers. When I bought my old stock trailer, I looked at the price of those shiny aluminum/steel things with the windows and such...it was more than five times the value of my truck! For just a little one! If I could afford one, I don't think I'd want an animal to cr*p in it.... :lol:

fourstates":24nhwlvq said:
Why don't we eat horses? Heard it's tasty :lol:

You can thank your legislators for banning horse slaughter in order to pacify the animal lovers.

I have eaten and will eat any time - horse meat. It is excellent.

When in certain parts of Europe you order steak or roast - if you do not specify beef - it is likely you will get horse.

Had an excellent horse steak in Switzerland about 5 years ago - done to perfection.

Bez>

A number of years ago the US military started selling horse meat in the commissary stores. What I tried was good but it didn't take off well. Don't keep horses any more and haven't rode one for pleasure in twenty years...but would sample one cooked if given the chance.
Bez> thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Sue & dave Mc

My horses would be too old by now. Stringy and tough. :p

When I was deployed a few years ago, we had a port visit in Sicily. Lots of horsemeat for sale there, but I didn't like the smell...too strong. However, I tried reindeer during a port visit in Sweden and it was excellent. Things you don't tell the younger members of your family: "I ate Rudolph!". :shock:

Running Arrow Bill said:
6. Horse people are in two social classes: Those that spend a lot of time showing vs. those that use horses for their inherent purpose.
7. Horses that are primarily used for showing are essentially useless for any other type of "work" or "pleasure riding".
quote]

I consider myself a person who used horses for their inherent reason, but my wife likes to show as well as "ranch ride". I will never forget her first "real" pleasure mare. We bought her at an auction and let's just say she was a wimp. She wouldn't cross water, not even mud puddles, she was afraid of cattle, she was just an all around stall horse. Would rather stand in a stall all day than be outside. She didn't like mud either, guess she didn't want to get her hooves dirty. I think using an arena to start a two year old is a good idea, but I don't think people should depend on it. As soon as I feel comfortable that my horse knows the basic commands, especially whoa, I will ride pasture fence, check cattle, check horses, etc. Then I go back to the arena for a tune up or attitude adjustment. Oh, I do support horse slaughter and would try horse meat if given the chance. I wouldn't sell my horses knowing they were going to be slaughtered, but there has to be a means to keep the horse population in check. I wrote an article for a website on this topic, if you would like a copy, pm me.

We've had a population explosion in our area. Now we are surrounded by horse people. Anyone with 5 acres has 5 or even 10 horses to go with it and turned into instant "cowboys". That's fine, but now they all come riding across our land, with their dogs, bothering cows, and leaving gates open. We have since locked gates, made it clear there is no trespassing, and now we are the jerks of the county. They can't seem to find hay on bad years, so they call us. When we did sell them hay they want to come pick out a bale (large rounds) from the middle of the stack. When we tell them they can't do that, we again are the jerks of the county. Most of the time we don't have hay to sell at all. If they see one weed sticking out of a bale, they want it for free. But it doesn't necessarily just apply to horse people, it is people in general. many of our horseless neighbors shoot trophy deer and antelope along the road and just leave it there, then in the fall call us wanting permission to hunt. When we say no, again we are the jerks of the county. I am sure there are good horse people, just as there are good/bad cow people. It more comes down to just people and respecting your neighbors and your animals. I am sure I will draw fire from this post, but that's my two cents worth.

grubbie":pbvy5ke7 said:
We've had a population explosion in our area. Now we are surrounded by horse people. Anyone with 5 acres has 5 or even 10 horses to go with it and turned into instant "cowboys". That's fine, but now they all come riding across our land, with their dogs, bothering cows, and leaving gates open. We have since locked gates, made it clear there is no trespassing, and now we are the jerks of the county. They can't seem to find hay on bad years, so they call us. When we did sell them hay they want to come pick out a bale (large rounds) from the middle of the stack. When we tell them they can't do that, we again are the jerks of the county. Most of the time we don't have hay to sell at all. If they see one weed sticking out of a bale, they want it for free. But it doesn't necessarily just apply to horse people, it is people in general. many of our horseless neighbors shoot trophy deer and antelope along the road and just leave it there, then in the fall call us wanting permission to hunt. When we say no, again we are the jerks of the county. I am sure there are good horse people, just as there are good/bad cow people. It more comes down to just people and respecting your neighbors and your animals. I am sure I will draw fire from this post, but that's my two cents worth.

Well grubbie - you are not alone.

We no longer sell any hay to horse folks. Too much trouble - they see ours eating round bales and complain if there is anything "perceived" wong with the hay. Funny how our horses are so healthy eating that dusty and mouldy hay. :lol:

So now, I tell them we do not sell hay - period.

As for hunters - here is how I solved the problem - and farmers and ranchers need to do this for several reasons which will appear obvious when they read this.

On this outfit we allow SPECIFIC hunters. They are a couple of old guys and their two sons plus one nephew who is in his 40's.

Responsible family men all around. They do all the right things on the property including buying me a beer once in a while.

They also are my own personal watchdogs. Pus they bring no other people on the property. I never worry about the back of the place - they watch over it for me. Open gates stay open and closed gates stay closed. They always ask where to not hunt and where they can - they know we move animals around.

When someone asks about hunting privileges I simply and honestly say we are booked solid - and therefore cannot allow any additional people on the place.

Regards

Bez>

I showed and trained horses for almost 20 years, and I have to agree with everything y'all have said about most "horse people". I could tell you stories as well about how totally ridiculous they are about their horses. And the bad thing is that the horse is usually the one suffering. In the dressage barn I trained at most of the horses stood in stalls 24/7, because the owners were afraid if they were turned out they'd "hurt themselves". Nearly all of them cribbed or weaved in the stalls. People are really stupid about animals sometimes.

I hate to say it, but there are some people I have recently sold ranches to that are as bad. Don't have a clue. But you know what? They can afford the ranches.

I'm not a horse by any means. I've had my share and dont want any more. My opinion is horses are just expenses. In my area you can go to the sell barn and by good trail broke horses $300- $500. Theres is no money in it around here.

Horses are picky eaters unless starved. Their digestive system requires to have a better suited food source than cattle. I sold all my cutting horse 5 yrs ago I never used them. I feed in my catch pins. All I have to do is shut the gate when they go in to feed. I dont need and horses.

There are animal crazy people every where these days. Right down the road from me some of our neighbors has gotten the state on this family. Their horses are starting to look bad. No really they are looking poor. The family has 3 horses on 15 acres. Because of the drought his pasture doesnt have anything in it. The horses has picked it clean. The man can prove by sales receits he has been buying feed. He pays a ferror to take of their feet. THe body problem is the result of him going by the recommended rate of feed by the feed mill. He's worming like he normally does and who knows if it ever was good enough and just now with the drought is telling the real story.
My whole point is this guy is trying and these people are making life rough for him. Horses, goats and cows in the state of Al, isnt protected. They are livestock. I just understand people meddling in other peoples affairs. But go to the city and everybody on the block will watch a couple guys beat another guy an inch of his life and robb him and when the cops show up nobody seen anything.

Bez>":etytgl16 said:
grubbie":etytgl16 said:

We no longer sell any hay to horse folks. Too much trouble - they see ours eating round bales and complain if there is anything "perceived" wong with the hay. Funny how our horses are so healthy eating that dusty and mouldy hay. :lol:

If that is is the quality of hay you're selling to the 'horse people', I don't blame them for complaining - I would too. Horses can't handle dusty or moldy hay - it causes chronic coughing, and can cause other problems as well. My respect for you just went down quite a few notches. If you're going to have animals, know how to take care of them, and do it properly. How many times have you bitched about this on these boards - yet you're doing it yourself. :roll:

Regards

Bez>

TheLazyM":1bdwooup said:
I'm not a horse by any means. I've had my share and dont want any more. My opinion is horses are just expenses. In my area you can go to the sell barn and by good trail broke horses $300- $500. Theres is no money in it around here.

Horses are picky eaters unless starved. Their digestive system requires to have a better suited food source than cattle. I sold all my cutting horse 5 yrs ago I never used them. I feed in my catch pins. All I have to do is shut the gate when they go in to feed. I dont need and horses.

There are animal crazy people every where these days. Right down the road from me some of our neighbors has gotten the state on this family. Their horses are starting to look bad. No really they are looking poor. The family has 3 horses on 15 acres. Because of the drought his pasture doesnt have anything in it. The horses has picked it clean. The man can prove by sales receits he has been buying feed. He pays a ferror to take of their feet. THe body problem is the result of him going by the recommended rate of feed by the feed mill. He's worming like he normally does and who knows if it ever was good enough and just now with the drought is telling the real story.
My whole point is this guy is trying and these people are making life rough for him. Horses, goats and cows in the state of Al, isnt protected. They are livestock. I just understand people meddling in other peoples affairs. But go to the city and everybody on the block will watch a couple guys beat another guy an inch of his life and robb him and when the cops show up nobody seen anything.

About five years back, My Mother got to talking to her horse person chiropractor. Apparently they had bought a whole barn full of hay and then found it to be too weedy. The hay provider (a nearby Texas Longhorn breeder who IS a very very good guy) agreed to give them all new hay for this sad indiscretion and told them just to keep the old hay. Well the hay was not good enough for her horses so they needed to get it out of the barn so they could put the new hay in; but her husband has a chronically bad back (why he married his chiropractor) and doesn't actually work other than feeding the horses and watching the kids. Well since Mother figured I always needed hay she said that I would come and remove the hay for free. WELL I went out there and apparently the hay provider's sons are some very STOUDT lads because they had managed to fill 3 horse stalls with roll bales and an entire LOFT!! Their tractor must be smaller than mine too because taking mine into that stable was completely out of the question, height, turning radius, etc; but it WAS free and the rolls were a little light (probably less than 600 lbs). After I moved 2 or 3 saddles, a dozen square bales, and a barrell full of rake, shovels, brooms , etc out of the hall, and into the tack room, I began the long arduous task of unstacking the rolls in the stalls and rolling them down the stable. Whereever we hit a snag and I couldn't move a roll I used rope, pully, and the tractor. Then I went up into the loft and rolled each roll out of the loft to the front door where I could get hold of it with a fully extended loader. I got close to 50 rolls out of there in what took an entire day. Then when I got done; the husband with the bad back thanked me for all the work I had done and asked for the PAYMENT. I told him that his wife had promised me the hay for the work of moving it all and trailering it off. If he had asked for payment when I saw all those rolls squeezed into every nook of that loft I would have told him 'No Thanks'. He blows up!! and mutters the term 'Stupid B*tch' several times, I offer to just dump that last partial trailer load, and go back and get another 15 and I would keep 20 as payment for cleaning out his barn (at that point I was thinking I was going to need his wife for MY back!! and as this was December half that first trailer load had been given to my cows 8 hours earlier). After a lot of histrionics, he finally says NO , his wife made that dead, a deal is a deal, and go ahead and take it. I do. The next day his wife calls me all distraught and begs me to pay something for the hay "to save her marriage". At that point in time, I could buy bigger rolls delivered to my barn or pasture for $18 a roll. I was more than a little hot myself at this point; but I gave my Mother a $7 a roll check to take to her chiropractor.

msscamp":26jrmmbe said:
Bez>":26jrmmbe said:
grubbie":26jrmmbe said:

If that is is the quality of hay you're selling to the 'horse people', I don't blame them for complaining - I would too. Horses can't handle dusty or moldy hay - it causes chronic coughing, and can cause other problems as well. My respect for you just went down quite a few notches. If you're going to have animals, know how to take care of them, and do it properly. How many times have you bitched about this on these boards - yet you're doing it yourself. :roll:

Regards

Bez>

I think he was kidding... :roll:

You guys have some real horror stories about hay and horse people. I always figured it was buyer beware. If I bought some hay that I was worried about feeding to horses, well, that's my problem. I should've looked at it before I loaded it or been there when it was delivered. I have never sent hay back. An occasional ripe bale either went to the cows or into compost. Maybe that's why hay dealers near me will sell me hay, even during the height of drought. Now it makes more sense that some of my snarky neighbors were unsuccessful in their hay hunts while I had a full barn. Burning bridges is never a good idea....

Just a funny note...there is a older guy in our town that rides a Longhorn steer around. His dog and duck always follow him. Funniest thing I've ever seen. You know, I think his steer is better trained than most people's horses. He rode him down the main street for the 4th of July Parade and that steer was as calm as could be. And I'm sure he puts in more saddle hours than most people do with their horses, (I know he rides more than we do).

I think we all ought to follow his example and pick out our favorite cow to break to ride. Just think, we could do everything people do with horses: ride on trails, compete in shows, (they'd do great in the western classes where the horses all jog real slow with their heads down), cutting would be natural if you're riding a boss cow. Jumping might be difficult, though....:cboy: :lol:

grubbie":n04vcq3y said:

If you have had people to leave the gates open and such, then the next time they ask you if they can ride on your place, tell them no and then tell them why. No one can argue the plain truth and it won't be glossed over.

I hear you on the horse thing. I have said for years that everyone and their brother who has an acre has three horses on it. It gets all mucky in the mud. the horses pick it clean and it looks pathetic. I have donkeys but they have enough room to graze and not destroy the place. At least they haven't yet. There's a guy down the road in town who has three horses in his back yard! I never see anyone ride them. Someone else used panels to make a round pen, out in the sun, no shade at all, and had a horse in there for about two or three weeks. He looked okay, but it was summer, very hot, I kept thinking about how hot his water was, and he just looked bored. I was about to make the call and someone beat me to it, I guess, cause the whole thing came down and the horse wasn't there anymore.

I don't own one, and I haven't had one since I was a child. To me, it is more care than I want to take time for. I really like to ride, but I don't more than a couple time a year. Owning a horse would not be good for the horse or for me. I love them, I don't have the time or energy to do it right. so I don't.

I have had a couple of horse people look at my place and they didn't like the facilities. Good enough for my donks, but not what horse people want. I even had someone ask me if I had an arena. Nope. Not what we do here. Buy the place and make one.

My uncle bought a horse for the first time when he was in his seventies. He really loves him. It is really great to see him all mounted up to ride. First horse he ever had. I figure I have time to get one yet if I decide to.

It be my experience that tha richer they be, the better they horses get treated.I advise all my buds if they get a bit a extra cash ta get a horse or two right away. Horses be happy ta rid ya of that cumbersome extra cash.

I grew up showing Welsh Ponies. We were cow people though and so was one other guy who had a team of driving ponies. The rest were horse people through and through. Most of the kids did little to no work with their own ponies and then wondered why my sister and I would beat them in riding classes. Running bareback over the field teaches more balance than a 15 minute ride around an arena anyday. One of the huge kafuffles happened when the guy with the team was asked what he did with the foals he didn't want. He would breed about 50 a year and only register about 10-20. He said he sent them through auction, most went for meat. Well, that sure caused an uproar through those horsey people! He told them it's what he did with his calves so what's the difference and shocked look prevailed.

There's a lot of people around here that will not sell hay to horse people. Last time we bought some hay we were told on the phone payment was due in full when the hay arrived for each load. We usually paid at the end of loads but sure, whatever. Then he came down and said "Oh, you have cows. Don't worry about it, pay me when I deliver the last load."

We have a stable now across the road from us. Most of the people are typical horse people - stuck up and they'll do things like park their trucks in your field so it doesn't damage their grass. :roll: There are some sensible ones though.