Horse or 4-wheeler

Help Support CattleToday:

My Dad was a die hard horseman, but not me. Seems like they are a lot of work and expense for the little bit you might use them?
Had a good old mare around but when the kids got where they weren't riding her I got rid of her.
Have a good Yamaha quad that does just about everything I ask it.

ALACOWMAN":2c31ko3j said:
Brandonm22":2c31ko3j said:
I love the gas engined off road golf carts with the two seats and the dump beds like the JD Gator or the Snapper Ground Cruiser. You can carry 200 lbs of wire, tools, posts, and gear places you wouldn't take a pickup or ride a horse. I will NOT ever have one again though. Both of them that I have owned were stolen (at different times). The druggies can turn those things into $2000 cash all day long and then some and you can forget about the deputies finding them. They don't have VIN numbers like a truck and you don't need a tag and they are lite enough that you can load them on any pickup or utility trailer in less than 5 minutes even when inoperable. You can buy good horses for thousands less, they last longer, don't breakdown as much, are just as liquid, are not nearly as easy to steal, and when you wear one out they are cheaper to replace. I have learned my lesson and I am staying with the horses.
alot of cattle theft going on right now too

The stupid state does not have near enough prison beds. They try to prioritize and keep the murderers, rapists, kidnappers, armed robbers, and heavy drug trafficers locked up. Theives are classified as "nonviolent offenders" and thus very little effort is spent pursuing them and when they are caught they get released quick. I had a dozer disappear but quickly found it on the back of a lowboy trailer along with a backhoe in Walker County. The thief across the street (on home arrest at the time) denied knowledge of who that belonged too "It just showed up there" (in front of his Mom's barn). Since I had the bill of sale and serial number on the dozer the deputies let me load it up. I THINK the deputies would have let me have the lowboy and the backhoe (much nicer than my Mitsubishi dozer); but I insisted that only the dozer belonged to me since everybody there knew they were both stolen as well. Eventually those rustlers will pull up to the wrong stockyard, somebody will open up on them with a rifle and they will end up buried in a hole someplace on timber company lands and that will be the last anyone has ever heard of them.

4 wheeler. The land isnt rough that you need a horse and you dont have to feed it even if your not using it.

1982vett":13860rin said:
Trucks and tractors.

Same here. Got rid of the hay burners years back. We have a 4 wheeler. I put it in the shop three years ago to get it running and it has been back in the barn every since. I just don't have time to play around - yet.

Keren":2vurihlm said:
ALACOWMAN":2vurihlm said:
i got both, but turning a switch and out the gate. beat's catching and saddlin' in the majority of my situations.

Who said anything about saddling?

Horse is in the paddock, we go out with lead rope, chuck it on the halter, jump on the horse, go and get the cows :D

Sooooooooooo where do you "Dally" when you have to rope one.

3waycross":k4lbf0mv said:
Keren":k4lbf0mv said:
ALACOWMAN":k4lbf0mv said:
i got both, but turning a switch and out the gate. beat's catching and saddlin' in the majority of my situations.

Horse is in the paddock, we go out with lead rope, chuck it on the halter, jump on the horse, go and get the cows :D

Sooooooooooo where do you "Dally" when you have to rope one.
i used too ride bareback as a kid... but hate too see my old ass, attempt it now at a gallop

I'd love to be able to use horses but every time my cattle see a horse they run for the brush. I really mean SEE. One of my neighbors brought a couple of horses in his place (across the road and down a couple hundred yards) and my girls saw one of them and the whole darn herd headed at full gallop to the back of the pasture.

Why is it I can walk out in the pastures amongst them or even drive up and get out and walk around them but, come working time they will split into groups and head for different areas. I think they can read my mind. This can't be good. :lol2:

flaboy":18op3ovb said:
Why is it I can walk out in the pastures amongst them or even drive up and get out and walk around them but, come working time they will split into groups and head for different areas. I think they can read my mind. This can't be good. :lol2:

Bet that's a short story!

cfpinz":3ss17v8w said:
flaboy":3ss17v8w said:

Ah just go back to bed and dream about your junk trucks actually starting on cold days. :lol:

I use a 87 Suzuki Samurai 4x4, with a 6" lift, mud tires,with a soft top. It can go most anywhere a 4-wheeler can go, plus its got a top on it, heater, and it is tuff as nails. Can haul fencing equipment, feed, even put a carrier on it during deer season to haul those deer around :nod:
Used to have a horse, but may as well throw money into the pasture.

Keren":1tebe98w said:
ALACOWMAN":1tebe98w said:

i had rather use my horse anyday, but working a job makes it hard too do.

flaboy":3evejejp said:
cfpinz":3evejejp said:
flaboy":3evejejp said:

Ah just go back to bed and dream about your junk trucks actually starting on cold days. :lol:

What do you consider cold, 50 degrees?

I got tired of carrying my one good battry from one truck to the next, so I just park them facing downhill. Only time they won't start is when they're froze to the ground!

cfpinz":3ikx4da5 said:
Only time they won't start is when they're froze to the ground!

Your wife can;t push hard enough to break them loose?

dun":trwey43s said:
cfpinz":trwey43s said:

Sure she can. But I don't think they'd let her out of class, she's in 7th grade this year, for the third time! Not bad for a 30 year old!

cfpinz":2wozqxfb said:
dun":2wozqxfb said:
cfpinz":2wozqxfb said:

Sure she can. But I don't think they'd let her out of class, she's in 7th grade this year, for the third time! Not bad for a 30 year old!

One more for the driveway banner!

Wasn;t that what you referred to as your senior year?

dun":1yuje014 said:
Wasn;t that what you referred to as your senior year?

Nope. Made it all the way to 8th, that would be considered post-graduate level in MO!

Went to Kroger's last week on the way to work. Wife was nosing thru the receipt last night and noticed they gave me the senior citizen discount! I'm 31!

3waycross":2jz8ao1t said:
A fella can do almost anything on a 4 Wheeler that he can on a horse, except rope a calf, and I don't rope that well anymore anyway.

My attorney father-in-law thought he could tie the end of a rope off to the handle bars on the 4-wheeler, rope a calf, set the park break, and doctor it as it needed it. He successfully completed steps 1, 2, and 3, but the 400 lb calf was healthly enough to pull the 4-wheeler across the pasture and ended up in the bottom of a big ditch. Neddless to say he never tried that again.

I use a Polaris Ranger for nearly every fence and cattle checking job. A bale of alfalfa gets the cows to me.

I roped a llama with the mule once. Stupid thing almost broke it's neck when he hit the end of the slack. He sure lead meekly back to the neigbors being hooked to the mule.

Latest posts