Horse or 4-wheeler

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Which one do y'all use for the majority of your farm or ranch chores?

We use horses for everything and won't even consider getting a 4-wheeler.

Nice quote. One of my favorite movies.

We've got horses and don't have a 4 wheeler. We use the horses some for cattle work, but I use a bucket of cubes more than the horses. :)

I like to ride around the fences on the horse and check for downed trees/limbs. Also like to ride slow through the pasture to check on grass/weeds. And you can sure notice a lot about your cattle when you ride real slow through them on a horse.

What else do you use your horses for? Doctor off of them? I haven't learned to rope. I'm afraid I've waited too late in life to begin that. :oops:

I use both- they each have their pluses and minuses.
I grab what suits the jobs I'm expecting.

I enjoy the horse alot more :)

depends on the job sometimes both for some jobs. like moving the herd down roads or over roads. Four wheelers are nice for working on fence cause you can carry a lot of equipment on the racks and are nice for spraying weeds with. Horses are great for moving and herding and can get across rivers and cattle arent spooked by them unlike the 4wheelers sometimes.

I hate horses with a passion, been around them my whole life. The 4wheeler doesn't eat unless I use it, doesn't crap anywhere and doesn't take up grass/hay that could be going into a productive animal. Plus I've never figured where to plug the aforementioned sprayer in on a horse!

4 wheeler and/or a bucket of cubes.

I don't care if I ever get on another horse, been bucked off, kicked, bit, knocked out cold, and rolled on by the stinkers, and those was some of the good ones!!!!!!!!! :cboy:

A fella can do almost anything on a 4 Wheeler that he can on a horse, except rope a calf, and I don't rope that well anymore anyway.

Rather have a good cow dog than a horse these days.

cfpinz":1i7c5mml said:
I hate horses with a passion, been around them my whole life. The 4wheeler doesn't eat unless I use it, doesn't crap anywhere and doesn't take up grass/hay that could be going into a productive animal. Plus I've never figured where to plug the aforementioned sprayer in on a horse!

X2 Would rather see a horse on a hook than in the pasture. Hay burners. 4-wheeler or on foot for us. :cowboy:

Because of the terrain we used horses in the desert. Here we use a Kawasaki Mule (that almost has a horsey sound).
A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money, a horse is a hole in the pasture into which you throw money.

Some years back I lost my horse and decided the 4-wheeler was easier to deal with. Soon I came to realize rounding up the cows to work them was a PIA with the 4-wheeler. Cows don't respect 4-wheeler. I then went back to horses. I still use the 4-wheeler and Jeep for many chores but nothing like a horse to work cows in my opinion.

I used to do all my cattle work from horse back now do most of it witha truck and a 4wheeler I move cows alot on rotating pastures can go honk horn on trk and they move when moving to corrals wife usually honks them up and I push them with the 4 wheeler
I like using horses but it isn't cost effective
Have fenced where me and wife can move them wherever we want

One thing about my cattle, if you try to push them to the pens from the pasture you might as well bail a sinking boat with the minnow bucket. I've got some that are wise to the bait and trap method too, got to be quick to beat them to the gate. :lol:

to busted up an stiff to use a horse.use the 4 wheeler an foot to pen cattle.an they still smell a rat an are hard to pen.used a horse 15yrs ago when i sold out.an that was tobring the cattle in an sort an load them.

I love the gas engined off road golf carts with the two seats and the dump beds like the JD Gator or the Snapper Ground Cruiser. You can carry 200 lbs of wire, tools, posts, and gear places you wouldn't take a pickup or ride a horse. I will NOT ever have one again though. Both of them that I have owned were stolen (at different times). The druggies can turn those things into $2000 cash all day long and then some and you can forget about the deputies finding them. They don't have VIN numbers like a truck and you don't need a tag and they are lite enough that you can load them on any pickup or utility trailer in less than 5 minutes even when inoperable. You can buy good horses for thousands less, they last longer, don't breakdown as much, are just as liquid, are not nearly as easy to steal, and when you wear one out they are cheaper to replace. I have learned my lesson and I am staying with the horses.

Brandonm22":1ix3nuw8 said:
I love the gas engined off road golf carts with the two seats and the dump beds like the JD Gator or the Snapper Ground Cruiser. You can carry 200 lbs of wire, tools, posts, and gear places you wouldn't take a pickup or ride a horse. I will NOT ever have one again though. Both of them that I have owned were stolen (at different times). The druggies can turn those things into $2000 cash all day long and then some and you can forget about the deputies finding them. They don't have VIN numbers like a truck and you don't need a tag and they are lite enough that you can load them on any pickup or utility trailer in less than 5 minutes even when inoperable. You can buy good horses for thousands less, they last longer, don't breakdown as much, are just as liquid, are not nearly as easy to steal, and when you wear one out they are cheaper to replace. I have learned my lesson and I am staying with the horses.
alot of cattle theft going on right now too

Latest posts