horse hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

There's a product out there called Coppertox that you can squirt on the sole and frog after you pick it out. I've used bleach before too. Basically, it'll be really nice for everyone if it would stop raining for a minute!

It smells like thrush from here too! Coppertox is the best stuff that I have used. You can also soak in epsom salts to help clean it out. Keep that coppertox off of you and the horse's hair: jsut a warning!

TR":em8lokmr said:
There's a product out there called Coppertox that you can squirt on the sole and frog after you pick it out. I've used bleach before too. Basically, it'll be really nice for everyone if it would stop raining for a minute!
Be sure you do like TR says and clean it out real good. Like he said I have about as much luck with bleach to

Keep it clean and trimmed. Bacteria is forming as well as fungus and other. Probly wet for a while. Clean will do as much as any of the other remedies.

Scotty

Just my opinion but I've been less than satisfied with Koppertox. I have had better results with products which contain formaldehyde. A good one is Thrushbuster (Valley Vet sells it). I make my own using formaldehyde (37%), isopropanol, and betadine in a 1:0.1:4 ratio. Treat every third day. Clean the hoof out GOOD before treating.

Lee

Just my opinion, but as a Farrier, I carry a squirt bottle of benadine, peroxide and mineral oil mixed. clean and scrap all you can out of the hoof than squirt some mix on and let set for a minute or so. thursh can and will eat through the frog and sole of the foot if not killed. Old saying--NO FOOT __ NO HORSE. :cboy:

"I carry a squirt bottle of benadine, peroxide and mineral oil mixed."

That sounds like something worth trying....do you use equal parts or exasctly what mixture??? I always though cleaning it good was the key to making any of that stuff work. Tell ushow to mix that please. thank you

Well, I mix about 50% benadine that I weaken with a little water- about 2 cups water 6 cups benadine, the rest is 50/50 peroxide and oil. the mineral oil helps the solution hold to the hoof.
I hope this helps.

S.Reeves, Fire Mountain Farrier Service :cboy: :cboy:

Thankyou for answering Cowspider. Are you talking about betadine??? Ive never used any beNadine. Let me see if I follow the math here....if I use 2 cups of water, 6 cups of betadine, 4 cups of peroxide and 4 cups of mineral oil is that what youre saying??? Also can I use diesel instead of mineral oil or does it need to be thicker like hydraulic oil. Thank you

another aspect to thrush prevention is keeping either your stalls or your pastures clean from manure around the feeders or there normal hang outs. As for remodies I have just used bleach with a little water and some veg oil for a sticker. Like said if the rains would stop for a wile to let the feilds dry up or is it my leaky water trough HA. :cboy:

Latest posts