Horse flys & RAID

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Here's a hint at how tough HFs are. Had one land next to me so I hosed it down with RAID. Soaked to the point of run off. That was almost 20 minutes ago and though it can;t fly it's still buzzing around on the floor.

It finally died or at least quit buzzzing around the floor. Took right around 45 minutes, even deer flys die right away as do grasshoppers and of course regualr flys.

Other day I watched a tug of war between a horse fly and a big spider. The battle went on for over an hour with the fly finally tearing the web loose from the wall and falling to the floor. It could no longer fly wrapped up like it was but it didn't get eaten by the spider so I guess it was a draw.

Something I thought was weird, the other day I unrolled a bale of hay and under the first layer the thing was covered with horseflys. Must have been a hundred of them at least

I wish I had a nickel for every horsefly I slapped on my arm or leg that flew away unscathed. Slap that would've mashed any other breed of fly.

I smacked one on my arm yesterday. I think I hurt my arm more than I did the hf even though I killed it..those things hurt like the devil

My neighbor works his big pulling horses with a sled every day. The horse flies land on their backs and he swats them by hand. He then picks them up and pulls the head off. I asked him why he does that even though the guts are hanging out. He said that way he is for certain if they happen to get up they won't be able to find his horses!

Latest posts