Horse stall mats for stock trailer floor?

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the 3/4 inch horse stall mats like the farm stores sell will make a good floor covering for a 16 foot stock trailer floor (for hauling feeder calves) or will they be too slippery? My floor is rough sawn white oak (good floor but gets slick). If the mats are recommended, what is the best way to fasten down so you can remove easily if necessary? Or would I just be better off to staple in a cattle panel?

The work great. We put them in our trailer 5-6 years ago. Other then being a PITA to fit and to take out and put back in periodically it's the best flooring methid that I've seen. We have hauled mules, shod horses, grown cattle, weaned calves, fair bound market steers, goats, pigs and baby calves. All have gone perfectly.

As dun said they work great. But if you have a divider door in the trailer better make sure you have 3/4" clearance between the floor and the bottom of the door, my stock trailer doesn't.

They are the best thing I've seen. We have 2x8" rough cut oak soaked in oil with them to it bolted to it with Torx head deck screws and fender washers.
They fit so tight very little gets to the boards below. I think this is two years they've been and we will pull them this year and clean and re oil. Then we'll know how long to go without pulling them.

Have them in my stock trailer also. I just lay them down the middle. No cutting and no screwing them down. They stay put just fine all on their own.
I do like to throw down some shavings on top to absorb the moist stuff. Makes clean up much easier to scoop up pee and poo because I do not hose mine out with each use.

I saw some rubber or soft plastic 2x8's at the Ag expo made especially for livestock trailers. They had about 1" high ridges running a pattern. Sure looked like the ticket to me.

branguscowgirl":1opm42p7 said:
Have them in my stock trailer also. I just lay them down the middle. No cutting and no screwing them down. They stay put just fine all on their own.
I do like to throw down some shavings on top to absorb the moist stuff. Makes clean up much easier to scoop up pee and poo because I do not hose mine out with each use.
Ours aren;t fastened down either. They;re a tight enough fit that the don;t move around. Had to notch them for the rear door latch at the bottom and the middle gate latch at the bottom

Thanks guys for all the tips and info! Picked up some mats tonight and will try to get them in the trailer sometime this week. My trailer is only 5'-11" wide so I am going to have to trim and inch or so off each mat.

gwece":14zzrba4 said:
Thanks guys for all the tips and info! Picked up some mats tonight and will try to get them in the trailer sometime this week. My trailer is only 5'-11" wide so I am going to have to trim and inch or so off each mat.

I use a skill saw for that.

Latest posts