horse flies

Help Support CattleToday:

okiegirl2008

Reaction score
Hi all :) I need some help...The horse flies are awful around here. I bought some Endure and spray her down daily but they are still around. I also bought the horse fly traps they sell at the feed store. Does anyone know of anything that works for these flies?

What type of environment are you keeping your horse in - pasture, or run/pen? Horse flies are attracted to wet (especially urine) environments, so you might want to look into something like PDZ which will help dry out the run/pen, but is easier on the feet than Ag Lime. I know of no spray/bait that will kill or attract/trap horse flies.

She is kept in pasture. The Endure spray seems to work some but they still bite her. They seem to be worse when she sweats.

I have a friend in OK who has the big black horse flies too. She has a Horse Pal fly trap.

http://bitingflies.com/

It works very well and she said that it has paid for itself over the years. You can find instructions online to build your own trap if you are handy.

old fella I know hangs bread bags full of water with holes poked near the top around his place.says it keeps the bulldogs away.I don't see how but he swears by it...

codymccue":2sqegy7x said:
old fella I know hangs bread bags full of water with holes poked near the top around his place.says it keeps the bulldogs away.I don't see how but he swears by it...

Because horse flies are attracted to moisture - I'll have to give that a try. Thanks! :)

msscamp":2zdpotun said:
codymccue":2zdpotun said:

Because horse flies are attracted to moisture - I'll have to give that a try. Thanks! :)

thats what I didn't get...he hangs em by the corrals and sheds where the horses are...I thought it would attract them rather than repel them...I use big plastic pop jugs myself but theres never any carcasses in em...I still don't get it(course I ain't the sharpest barb on the fence)...but it seems to work... :?

Latest posts