horse feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Moocow11

Reaction score
What kind of horse feed should i feed. i have 3 horses (2 mares and one 26 year old gelding). that i am getting ready for a show that is on july 14. i have a billy allen and a purina horse feed dealers here.

Moo, the needs of the two mares will depend on their ages and what you are using them for. Since you have a Purina dealer in your area, I would recommend Purina Equine Senior for the 26-year old gelding. It's made for the special needs of senior horses and it's easy for them to chew and digest. Good luck!

the two mares. one mare is a 3 year old quarter horse. she will be used for trail, roping, sliding, cutting, showmanship. the other horse is a 8-9 year old throughobred x quarter horse. she will be used for the same thing, but also she will be used for poles, barrels, halter and the ultimate mare

Sorry, cattleluvr - you lost me on that one. :roll:

Moo - If it were me, I would start both mares on a good quality sweetfeed. Probably no more than a 12% protein to start until you are using/riding them regularly. Too much protein in a horse that isn't getting enough exercise can make a horse hot. Be especially careful with the Thoroughbred cross - sometimes that Thoroughbred blood makes them hot enough without any increased protein. Once you start competing on her in barrels and poles, you'll be a better judge of whether you need to increase her protein level. If you do that, Omolene 200 or Omolene (also made by Purina) would be a good place to start.

we tried the senior feed from purina on the arabian and the 26 year old gelding and i didnt think they ate it very well. they eat normal feed even better and it dosen't cost as much

I agree that the Purina feeds are pricey, but they are quality products. If the 26 year old is eating the regular feed and maintaining good body weight, then continue doing what you're doing. If, however, he doesn't maintain his weight or starts to lose weight, it could be because he isn't digesting the regular feed in the proper manner. That's what the senior feed is formulated for.

You might also try adding a little beet pulp to his feed. See the other thread on this board about beet pulp - just be sure to soak it first.

i was planning on geeting some omolene 100 to feed to them, and put the gelding on it. they get rode almost every day and if they dont they are in a 300x400 pen

Are they getting hay? Good quality hay is the most important part of their diet if they aren't on grass.

I have 10 horses all together ranging from yearlings to 17 year old and have Arabians Though beads paints and quarter The Billy Allen is a good feed but has a lot of corn in it and make my TBs hot and one just doesn't digest it and he colic a lot on it. I have found the Seniorglow and Patriot Senior both work very well and I use it on for all of my horses. We also use equpride supplement made by sweetpro it has all the probiotics and other things to help them digest and absorb their food much better. For horses that are sensitive to corn Seniorglow is awesome. Both my TBs are hard keepers and they do better on this than the Purina Senior. Billy Allen 12% is very much like Omolene 100 which has a lot of sugars and corn in it could make TBs and Arabians hot and hard to handle. 6 out of the 10 horses I have are rescues and some have come back from being darn near dead. One thing also NEVER let a TB just sit most are high energy and need to work. My sister has a 22 year old Arabian 1 yearling and 2 quarter horses she uses the Billy Allen 1212 and all of her horses do very well on it.

Hipy":mf59ksa8 said:
Are they getting hay? Good quality hay is the most important part of their diet if they aren't on grass.
Most horses don't need anything more than green grass and/or hay. Too many load them up on hot feed and then all the do is lay around and get fat. We literally "love" them to death. Feed according to levels of activity. High protein is not needed ordinarily but energy certainly is so a good 10-12% crude protein with an elevated fat levels (6-8%) should work great for active mature horses.

TexasBred":1g4lwy3o said:
Hipy":1g4lwy3o said:
Most horses don't need anything more than green grass and/or hay. Too many load them up on hot feed and then all the do is lay around and get fat. We literally "love" them to death. Feed according to levels of activity. High protein is not needed ordinarily but energy certainly is so a good 10-12% crude protein with an elevated fat levels (6-8%) should work great for active mature horses.

Exactly.

Also, introduce feeds gradually and increase amounts gradually. If you can, stay away from sweet feed. Pellets or whole grain is healthier.

Have you been working them daily ?

Hiii all,

Horse is a light horse breed. The light horses are also referred to as a warmblood or 'hot-blooded' horse. Light horse breeds generally weigh under 1,500 pounds. They are typically used as riding horses for leisure and trail riding. Being agile and swift, many are also used on the racetrack, in the show ring, and for work on the ranch.