Hoping for a dentist appointment

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My big mouth agreed to give a talk a few months ago to some pararescuemen at the base. Seemed like the right thing at the time. Seemed a lot easier than saying no but tomorrow is the big day and the dentist won't see me on such short notice. Could be after the split second extraction plan there is not much left to work with. :oops:

Anyone else have a fear of public speaking? Got any tips? Personally I think I'd rather have my a$$ beat than do it but I'm already committed and the butterflies are beginning to swarm.

ive always had trouble with that sort of thing,,,especially when i was roping ,at rodeo's or in front of large crowds at jackpots,, but you can learn to tune them out as a whole just like they aint there...

Careful what you wish for... another ride to the hospital would definitly postpone your talk. Lots of things could happen to make giving a talk a seem like a piece of cake.

Glad it's you and not me. :p :lol:

Jogeephus":3acquhnq said:
My big mouth agreed to give a talk a few months ago to some pararescuemen at the base. Seemed like the right thing at the time. Seemed a lot easier than saying no but tomorrow is the big day and the dentist won't see me on such short notice. Could be after the split second extraction plan there is not much left to work with. :oops:

Anyone else have a fear of public speaking? Got any tips? Personally I think I'd rather have my a$$ beat than do it but I'm already committed and the butterflies are beginning to swarm.

Relax, begin with a joke or something and just remember you're talking to friends...nobody is going to critique you afterward. If you know anything about your subject it's probably more than they know. Look forward to it, mix and mingle some ahead of time and just enjoy. Keep something in your hand during the talk sort of like your "security blanket".

1982vett":2s4nvyd7 said:
Careful what you wish for... another ride to the hospital would definitly postpone your talk. Lots of things could happen to make giving a talk a seem like a piece of cake.

Your right about that. How bout just a good whoopin. :lol:

TexasBred":2s4nvyd7 said:
Keep something in your hand during the talk sort of like your "security blanket".

I was thinking about making an outline just in case I loose track or get muddled. I used to speak a good bit but I haven't in years and I think I've gotten hermitish.

I like the idea of the joke. Was thinking about telling them the one I posted about the zipper. I think they'd like that one.

TexasBred":xw9u4liv said:
Jogeephus":xw9u4liv said:

Relax, begin with a joke or something and just remember you're talking to friends...nobody is going to critique you afterward. If you know anything about your subject it's probably more than they know. Look forward to it, mix and mingle some ahead of time and just enjoy. Keep something in your hand during the talk sort of like your "security blanket".
so its not like posting on cattletoday
:cowboy:

alacattleman":1jcnxzxe said:
TexasBred":1jcnxzxe said:
Jogeephus":1jcnxzxe said:

so its not like posting on cattletoday
:cowboy:
HAHAHAHA.....not at all... :lol2:

I think your zipper joke would fit right in at the base. If you are confident in what you are speaking about, it should go fine. A few notes on a card are okay to remind you of the high points. Good luck, I'd much rather give a speech than go to the dentist!! Plus a speech doesn't cost me anything.

Can be tough, I think it's called an irrational fear. At least that's what I tell myself if I have to speak at Church or where ever. Don't worry about messing up because sooner or later you will, everybody does and everybody will chuckle and you'll move on. I usually ask myself, who are you so afraid of? I guess that's the silly part of it. Anyway I'm sure you'll do fine, good luck.

Larry

They say to envision everyone in the audience in their underwear, make U relax, or maybe even laugh.

GMN

GMN":1gcuwxi1 said:
They say to envision everyone in the audience in their underwear, make U relax, or maybe even laugh.

GMN

I don't know Gail I know plenty of pretty women that to envision them in their underwear might not be helpful :eek: :lol2: .

Larry

larryshoat":1r0o8qg9 said:
GMN":1r0o8qg9 said:

GMN

I don't know Gail I know plenty of pretty women that to envision them in their underwear might not be helpful :eek: :lol2: .

Larry

But it could lead to the but whooping and the talk would be off. Just might work. :lol2:

Found this fear ranking on the net. Thought it interesting. Only the red ones concern me.

1. Fear of public speaking (Glossophobia)
2. Fear of death (Necrophobia)
3. Fear of spiders (Arachnophobia)
4. Fear of darkness (Achluophobia, Scotophobia or Myctophobia)
5. Fear of heights (Acrophobia)
6. Fear of people or social situations (Sociophobia) 7. Fear of flying (Aerophobia)
8. Fear of open spaces(Agoraphobia)
9. Fear of thunder and lightning(Brontophobia)
10. Fear of confined spaces(Claustrophobia)

The more I thought the more the butterflies fluttered so I just quit thinking about it and gonna walk in an wing it.

I still have to do a little periodic speaking.

What I do now is make up power points.

No I don't write my stuff and then stand there and read it to everybody.

I use pictures to illustrate what I am talking about and they are my reminder of what I want to say.

for example whenever I have to talk about government funding I have a picture of a bunch of guys in suits in a fistfight.

I try hard to find and save interesting photos that I can use in talks. take a lot of photos in my work to use as well.

Now if I could just sucessfully learn to load one to this site. Tried hard for 20 minutes while writing this short message.

Well its over. Butterflies hit me pretty good on the drive and I even entertained thoughts of putting a towel around my head to see how I'd fair making it through the gate. Did do something pretty stupid though. Being we are at war, I forgot to take my toys out of the truck. Being I had a snake charmer, a plinker, a snub nose 38, a varmint rifle and a 270 I thought it best to just pull in the holding pen at the gate rather than have the guards help me unload it all. (did I ever mention I road the short bus?)

Anyhow, when I saw their mission statement on the wall - "That others may live" - any and all prior thoughts went out the window and the words just came out. At first I had them rolling, then we serious, then rolling, then talked about erecting an emotional wall with input from the group (this got pretty powerful) then back to rolling, then spiritual (didn't ask if I could go here but no one complained) then ended on a light note with more laughter. Don't know where the words came from but they seemed to enjoy it and they gave me their challenge coin which I know I will cherish and value. I'm glad I did it.

IMG_4072-1.jpg

See there Jo....you got all nervous for nothing. I guess we could have written those guys a little note about you ahead of time and THEY could have been worrying and getting nervous. :lol2:

Latest posts