Hopefully once in a lifetime

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
2,062
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
I got in a situation today where I had to give a two week old preemie resuscitation. Luckily I got it breathing again- hopefully fast enough to not cause damage- its hard for me to tell it seemed like hours.
I always like the idea of being there for someone when they need help- but this one was too overwhelming without having the proper training. I still feel bad that I was treating it the way I would have treated a lamb-and so out of my league.
I should be happy if not elated it all turned out well but.........
I'm still all shook up- and I am not even sure why
The kid is going to be fine- I have been told by several people who should know that my ineptness did not damage the kid- I was much better than nothing.
 

I luv herfrds

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
5,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana
Howdy it is better to at least do something then stand there and do nothing.
It is a scarey situation that you were in. For some reason treating children is always the toughest thing for anyone. If an EMT tells you that treating kids doesn't bother them, they don't have kids.

Look on the bright side. You got the baby breathing. GREAT, WONDERFUL, AWESOME, GOOD JOB!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now chill. Don't do the woulda, coulda, shoulda game. Don't look back, go forward.

Why you might be shook up is it was a traumatic experience.

I'll pm you tomorrow.

Take care.
 

peg4x4

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
3,826
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
So much resting in your hands-a whole familys future-and you did GREAT! All young things have to breath,lamb or human..you did good-proud of you..Many would have ran and screamed..
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
1
Location
South Georgia
peg4x4":5z8mo8x2 said:
So much resting in your hands-a whole familys future-and you did GREAT! All young things have to breath,lamb or human..you did good-proud of you..Many would have ran and screamed..

Or stood there with dumb looks on their faces and watched the child die. Its normal to be shook up cause stuff like this will shake your your reality. Good job.
 

cfpinz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
6,203
Reaction score
230
Location
Virginia
I took cpr here at work a few years ago. Hope I never have to use it but I'm sure glad I took the course. It's about time for a refresher, thanks for the reminder.
 
OP
H

Howdyjabo

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
2,062
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
Thanks for the support
and I think CFPINZ may have given me the idea that might make me feel better
I am going to find somewhere to take CPR classes- just in case
I think that might be what is bothering me- if it happened again knowing how bad I feel right now - would I jump in and take the responsibility again.
If I had the classes I think I wouldn't hesitate

I took CPR classes in my 20's- but that was on an adult dummy--And I knew I couldn't do it exactly the same this time(and I was a little fuzzy on that).
I am going to find someone to show me how to do it on a five lb baby too.
The odds are against me having to ever do CPR again- let alone on a preemie. But I would feel just awful if it did and I was still unprepared.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
Howdyjabo":qnz1chd6 said:
Thanks for the support
and I think CFPINZ may have given me the idea that might make me feel better
I am going to find somewhere to take CPR classes- just in case
I think that might be what is bothering me- if it happened again knowing how bad I feel right now - would I jump in and take the responsibility again.
If I had the classes I think I wouldn't hesitate

I took CPR classes in my 20's- but that was on an adult dummy--And I knew I couldn't do it exactly the same this time(and I was a little fuzzy on that).
I am going to find someone to show me how to do it on a five lb baby too.
The odds are against me having to ever do CPR again- let alone on a preemie. But I would feel just awful if it did and I was still unprepared.


The red cross in your area should have cpr classes that are happening all the time at least I know ours does.
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
How terribly frightening, and good for you for stepping up to the plate! Courage is not lack of fear, it is being afraid and doing it anyhow. :tiphat: :clap:

As a side note, I just finished up my recertification for First Responder ~ you might want to check your state laws people. If I assist a person in distress without their consent, they can sue me for assault. If they are unresponsive, consent is implied. I am not saying this to deter you guys, but rather to protect. Get consent.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
angie":ik0f2qpj said:
How terribly frightening, and good for you for stepping up to the plate! Courage is not lack of fear, it is being afraid and doing it anyhow. :tiphat: :clap:

As a side note, I just finished up my recertification for First Responder ~ you might want to check your state laws people. If I assist a person in distress without their consent, they can sue me for assault. If they are unresponsive, consent is implied. I am not saying this to deter you guys, but rather to protect. Get consent.


Here they cant. If they are in distress consent is implied. Of if they say someone do something and you give cpr you cannot be held legally liable if you break their sternum or what not.
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
Howdyjabo":12ch6ozz said:
Does please do something- count as consent
Yes.

Of if they say someone do something and you give cpr you cannot be held legally liable if you break their sternum or what not.
If you are giving CPR ~ it is assumed that your victim is unresponsive, and consent is implied. You will not be sued for breaking sternum or ribs. Good Samaritan laws do not apply to me.
 

I luv herfrds

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
5,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana
Angie when on the scene a person has to say, "No I do not want your help." Then they have to sign a form stating refusal of care. They have to have diminished mental status, drunk or unresponsive for implied consent.
Once they sign that form, it is a legal document, they cannot come back and sue you.

Just did a class at an EMS conference concerning being sued. It was a mock court room. Biggest thing we learned from it is document everything and follow standard of care protocol.
Yes there will always that big jerk who wants a free ride and will attempt a suit, but that is where the paper trail comes into effect.

How are you doing Howdy?
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
I luv herfrds":2bi0w22c said:
Angie when on the scene a person has to say, "No I do not want your help." Then they have to sign a form stating refusal of care. They have to have diminished mental status, drunk or unresponsive for implied consent.
Once they sign that form, it is a legal document, they cannot come back and sue you.
I am wondering if that is true for you because you are an EMT? In my class, the instructor stated that if we do not get consent to assist we can be sued for assault ~ and unresponsiveness is implied consent. She also stated that for her as an EMT, she needs to have consent signed as you say. I am not an EMT, I am certified First Responder.
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
you saved a human life! wow! those parents will probly think of you and hopefully thank you forever

congrats to you...you should be boasting not worrying....in a good way

gary
 
OP
H

Howdyjabo

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
2,062
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
I was doing better this morning- the shake inside my guts had stopped and knowing what action to take(get lessons) settled my mind.

Then everyone(small neighborhood) started calling(good intentioned) and the papers(even not local-why would they care???) started trying to find me.
Hubby put the word out that I didn't feel like a hero- and the fuss upset me . So everyone has started to block for me. They won't talk to reporters now and I don't answer the phone.
Even had a news truck find the house- I just pretended I wasn't here till they left.

Glad I had a place like this to talk- I never thought about it getting out of hand around here. I doubt the family wants a circus made out of their heartache.
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
really only between you and them....maybe theyre finally looking for some good news to report for a change..not alot of that around anymore

gary
 

Red Bull Breeder

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
7,621
Reaction score
3
Location
North Arkansas
You have done a truly wonderful thing Howdyjabo. Check with your local fire department about where to get some CPR classes. I have took the class, but truly need a tune up. I think maybe you have inspired me to get a refresher.
 

chrisy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
11,543
Reaction score
2
Location
England United Kingdom
I doubt the family wants a circus made out of their heartache......would have been if you hadn't stepped in, I'd say you saved them from Heartache....well done. I have just had my refresher course on child and baby CPR. Even though I don't work with kids anymore I still like to keep up the training.
 

Latest posts

Top