Honest opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

vbd":tnroxz72 said:
Well...we have 5 hereford heifers, a hereford cross heifer, and a black baldie heifer. Would like to breed him to the bunch to see how they turn out. It will be next year before any of them are breeding age as we bought all of them as calves. Brutus (seen here) was perhaps a week or two old when we got him and we have really been pleased with his progress! :) In fact we have the best bunch of calves we have ever owned...probably just luck, but would like to think we are learning something as we go along.

Thanks for the response.

Van
Lol Your kidding right?? that calf isnt any good and junk almost alwasy begets junk. Thats not even a good feeder calf..Im sorry buit thats just the way it is. Why do you like him??

This was a joke right?? You sound like a new age liberal *rancher* that just wants *Brutus* and all of your stock to be 1 big happy family. Raising a bull with unknown gentics to use on cows isnt very smart...raising 1 to use on HEIFERS is stupid. Cut that calf and sell him when the time is right..you dont need a bull. Then ai your few heifers to a proven sire..this is a busness..treat it like a business and youll be money ahead

Cut
Cut
Cut
Cut
Cut
Cut

Hey dispite what the neocons want you regular folks to believe, liberal isn't a bad word, nor are the folks who identify themselves with the concepts of tolerance and caring for others.

Having said that, I have to agree with the actual livestock advice.

Folks have worked for a long time to improve the genetics of domestic livestock, do yourself a favor and get a good bull for breeding, or better yet for such a small number of females try AIing them. Then you won't have to deal with a large dangerous male animal that has ONE thing on his mind. I don't think folks should even THINK about keeping a bull until they have at LEAST 15 or 20 cows. And even then I would highly recommend leasing one for short periods. That would give you bred cows and experience.

Definalely not a north country animal...would get stuck in the snow hanging that low. Light in the rear for me...don't know about the breed but we have angus cross heifer calves with more rear end than he's got...sorry DMc

Tapeworm...thanks for the most candid opinion. Couple of things I should clear up tho...

One, this is not a business for me. I make a living dealing with...well, to be honest, people like you and get paid well for the grief. I keep the animals for two reasons. First, I haven't had to listen to a one of them bi+ch and I just love to sit and watch them play in the afternoons.

Two, I have said before that I know too little about cattle to be insulted and I really do appreciate everyone's input, even when it comes from someone like you who lacks the vocabulary to just state he ain't very pretty; however, the liberal comment is downright insulting as you have no idea what my politics are...just running your gums to watch 'em flap...and by the way, what the he!! does that have to do with the price of tea in China anyway?

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th holiday. I am off to give Brutus his bath and some treats before we watch the evening movie...oh, and I'll be sure to give Brutus a big hug from ya. :roll:

Van

Hamburger at best unless your raising pets which I have no time for.
He is long eared, loose skinned, light assed all which will get you docked at the sale barn. Do yourself or someone else a favor pull out your sowbelly and cut him, and sell him for hamburger. Put the money in something that has potential to return on your investment.

vbd":nbwuhl0l said:
He's 3 1/2 mos. old and we think he's coming along well. What do ya'll think?

I think he's coming along OK for a bottle calf - still needs more grain based on that belly - and his condition looks alright, slicked off, etc.

But his structural conformation leaves a lot to be desired.

Those type of calves usually sell better the smaller they are - before their conformation becomes too evident. Hard to tell much about a brand-new calf, for instance. Which might be why you managed to pick him up as a bottle calf. I'd say - sell him, sooner the better.

Latest posts