Honest opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

vbd

Reaction score
He's 3 1/2 mos. old and we think he's coming along well. What do ya'll think?

We know he's not black...someone already told us. :D

Van

100_0870.JPG

100_0872.JPG

100_0864.JPG

Overall, I like him.

He is hanging a bit low which is going to be a problem to a potential buyer who has cactus, mesquite etc. (he wouldn't work out for me) and I like a longer hip.

Looks like he's going to be a big dude.

What's your plans with him?

Well...we have 5 hereford heifers, a hereford cross heifer, and a black baldie heifer. Would like to breed him to the bunch to see how they turn out. It will be next year before any of them are breeding age as we bought all of them as calves. Brutus (seen here) was perhaps a week or two old when we got him and we have really been pleased with his progress! :) In fact we have the best bunch of calves we have ever owned...probably just luck, but would like to think we are learning something as we go along.

Thanks for the response.

Van

ALACOWMAN":1e1j3jbo said:
needs more muscle in the rear too light he might be ok on first timers but i woudnt keep him long enough to find out

You dont think thats because of his age, less than 4 months, and might still fill out?

3MR":13dehbcn said:
ALACOWMAN":13dehbcn said:
needs more muscle in the rear too light he might be ok on first timers but i woudnt keep him long enough to find out

You dont think thats because of his age, less than 4 months, and might still fill out?
Nope i got march calves that are showing plenty of mucsle he has no difinition of muscle in the rear he will fill out some no dought but he's not a breeder

I can't say to much about the pics as I haven't seen many bos indicus cattle in person, plus he's a little too young to decide if he is for sure a herd sire. He does look a little light in the rear to me.

Just curious, what is the background on this calf? I noticed you said you bought him the same time as your heifers, where did you get them, private treaty, or salebarn?

El_Putzo":2gfd7d0s said:
I can't say to much about the pics as I haven't seen many bos indicus cattle in person, plus he's a little too young to decide if he is for sure a herd sire. He does look a little light in the rear to me.

Just curious, what is the background on this calf? I noticed you said you bought him the same time as your heifers, where did you get them, private treaty, or salebarn?
well at three months he should be showing good signs from here on and its not there. im wrong though about him not being a breeder he will be one if you keep him i should say he;s not a keeper

Alacowman...would you possibly have a pic of what you consider a "keeper" that is approximately this age? I want to learn and would consider your input even more valuable if I had something to look at that you considered worthy of keeping.

El_Putzo...all our calves are salebarn calves to date. Been at this less than two years and still have much to learn. Would, however, like to have a baby on the place I didn't have to fix a bottle for!

BTW...if anyone wants to post a pic of their airplane, I would be glad to critique if for you...35 plus years at that! :lol:

Thanks, Van

Alacowman: I think you might have misunderstood me, I agree that I wouldn't keep him for a breeder if he were mine, just for the simple fact I wouldn't know anything of his background. He may provide improvement to this person's existing cows, on the other hand it might be a big 'ol trainwreck. Too many unknown variables to make a good decision, so to me, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

VBD: My opinion is that you cut this calf and grow him out to about 600-700 lbs and sell him. Then match that money out of your pocket and buy yourself a bull that you can see some numbers, pedigree, and/or dam and sire of. There are too many decent, reasonably priced bulls out there with a history and some performance records to be using something this unknown. This is just my opinion, you may now toss it out the window. ;-)

vbd":1hwj0j21 said:
Alacowman...would you possibly have a pic of what you consider a "keeper" that is approximately this age? I want to learn and would consider your input even more valuable if I had something to look at that you considered worthy of keeping.

El_Putzo...all our calves are salebarn calves to date. Been at this less than two years and still have much to learn. Would, however, like to have a baby on the place I didn't have to fix a bottle for!

BTW...if anyone wants to post a pic of their airplane, I would be glad to critique if for you...35 plus years at that! :lol:

Thanks, Van
  • well i will do just that if i can coaks my daughter in to a photo shoot. seems like every time i take picture with her digital camera i screw it up.

El_Putzo":2q1kqied said:
Alacowman: I think you might have misunderstood me, I agree that I wouldn't keep him for a breeder if he were mine, just for the simple fact I wouldn't know anything of his background. He may provide improvement to this person's existing cows, on the other hand it might be a big 'ol trainwreck. Too many unknown variables to make a good decision, so to me, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

VBD: My opinion is that you cut this calf and grow him out to about 600-700 lbs and sell him. Then match that money out of your pocket and buy yourself a bull that you can see some numbers, pedigree, and/or dam and sire of. There are too many decent, reasonably priced bulls out there with a history and some performance records to be using something this unknown. This is just my opinion, you may now toss it out the window. ;-)
well i dont want too keep running this calf down and no offence but if he improves those cows than he has other problems too deal with...said this the other day that there are folks that say the bull is more than half of the herd .......and for some that may be true. but it dont say much for their cows

Gentlemen, you make valid points...if someone were to try to sell me an airplane without the logbooks (records) I would just say "no thanks, don't know nothin about it!" As I said, I am learning each and every day and always try to listen to other's opinions, trying to seperate the wheat from the straw.

I look forward to seeing the pic, Alacowman.

Happy 4th to all,

Van

Happy 4th to you as well Van.

I am about 30 miles east of you.

You never know with cattle. I don't like a bull and part ways with it, then someone else thinks it was wonderful. I find one with traits I like and no one else likes it. That is the way it is some times.

I like a big bull with length, small birthweight calves, enough ear to survive our climate, and is capable of sustaining good condition on pasture grazing. You could wind up with just that. So long as he works for you, I wouldn't much consider what others want or think. Especially those in other climates.

There are expensive bulls out there that just won't thrive in Erath County environment. There are those who throw huge calves. You lose a percentage etc.

If you like him, see what he does for you.

backhoeboogie":2527z0c9 said:

I am about 30 miles east of you.

You never know with cattle. I don't like a bull and part ways with it, then someone else thinks it was wonderful. I find one with traits I like and no one else likes it. That is the way it is some times.

I like a big bull with length, small birthweight calves, enough ear to survive our climate, and is capable of sustaining good condition on pasture grazing. You could wind up with just that. So long as he works for you, I wouldn't much consider what others want or think. Especially those in other climates.

There are expensive bulls out there that just won't thrive in Erath County environment. There are those who throw huge calves. You lose a percentage etc.

If you like him, see what he does for you.
im in the same climate as you. so you think when some one ask a opinion you wouldnt consider another person advise .he is gonna have too wait a long time too figure out if he is any good .and thats a lot of time and money down the tubes if he turns out a dink. just getting a live calf on the ground is only the beggining. any one can do that he!! i got neighbors that do it. their calves might weigh 350 pounds at weaning at best.but if you see a bull that you dont think has potential you would advise them otherwise. not if you like him keep him advise thats not what the market is looking for.

ALACOWMAN":w2ou3ku3 said:
backhoeboogie":w2ou3ku3 said:
im in the same climate as you. so you think when some one ask a opinion you wouldnt consider another person advise .he is gonna have too wait a long time too figure out if he is any good .and thats a lot of time and money down the tubes if he turns out a dink. just getting a live calf on the ground is only the beggining. any one can do that he!! i got neighbors that do it. their calves might weigh 350 pounds at weaning at best.but if you see a bull that you dont think has potential you would advise them otherwise. not if you like him keep him advise thats not what the market is looking for.

I think I was the first to respond. My response was that this animal wouldn't work for me personally. You and I have indeed seen much worse.

As far as the climate being the same, there is where I have to disagree with you. My property in East Texas versus my property out here is vastly different in climate. Namely humidity and terrain. There are things such as having surplus lime and minerals here naturally. The grass has much more strength. When Dad moved his cows back and forth from Marshall to Glen Rose, there was vast differences. Some did fine and others didn't. It went both ways with some flourishing there and some here. 20% humidity versus 70% etc. Different grasses and other vegetation.

I only inherited 28 acres of the Marshall property. I could run cattle there and on my uncle's places too. However, knowing the experiences dad had, I didn't even move cattle during last year's drought. That place is all bahia. My cows have never been on it. It hasn't been fertilized or nutrients added in over a dozen years. My part of it is all pine trees but my uncles let other folks bale the bahia on their's.

backhoeboogie":1tbjauxe said:
ALACOWMAN":1tbjauxe said:
backhoeboogie":1tbjauxe said:

I think I was the first to respond. My response was that this animal wouldn't work for me personally.
  • You and I have indeed seen much worse.
As far as the climate being the same, there is where I have to disagree with you. My property in East Texas versus my property out here is vastly different in climate. Namely humidity and terrain. There are things such as having surplus lime and minerals here naturally. The grass has much more strength. When Dad moved his cows back and forth from Marshall to Glen Rose, there was vast differences. Some did fine and others didn't. It went both ways with some flourishing there and some here. 20% humidity versus 70% etc. Different grasses and other vegetation.

I only inherited 28 acres of the Marshall property. I could run cattle there and on my uncle's places too. However, knowing the experiences dad had, I didn't even move cattle during last year's drought. That place is all bahia. My cows have never been on it. It hasn't been fertilized or nutrients added in over a dozen years. My part of it is all pine trees but my uncles let other folks bale the bahia on their's.
your right backhoe ive seen much worse and some of them were on my own property ;-)

All...thanks for the insight. Alice has had me laying tile all afternoon so am just getting back to the board... :cry:

We are going to give the kid a go and see how he turns out. We're attach to him already...I know, never get attached to anything that eats or burns fuel...

I would like to see the pic, Alacowman, when you can bribe your daughter into taking a few shots.

I appreciate everyones input...as I have said here before, I am too ignorant about cattle to get insulted... :oops:

Van