Homemade Feed Recipes

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone make there own feed that is pretty high in protein ? If so whats the recipe I want to try to make my own feed or is it even worth the trouble ?

Factor in storage, waste,time,machinery, tied up resources, the need to have backups for EVERYTHING...............so unless you feed lots, its probably not worth it.

skyhightree1":1l9towsk said:
Does anyone make there own feed that is pretty high in protein ? If so whats the recipe I want to try to make my own feed or is it even worth the trouble ?
Unless you have a good working knowledge of ruminant nutrition I wouldn't even think about it. Buy a high quality feed from a reputable supplier and they've already done the work for you.

did it most of my life. how high of protein are wanting. all feeds are different protein value so you need to know what you can get cheapest. all are different tdn values also , so you need to know how much energy & protein you need for the type of cattle you are going to feed

Not to mention "what you're feeding, why you're feeding, what results you're wanting, what ingredients are available in your area, what equipment you have for mixing and storing and feeding facilities" .

skyhightree1":2f1ytlzo said:

I have mine mixed. I do it because I like to know what is actually in it. I only mix about a ton a year and it actually costs less than the bagged feed - most of the time. What ends up in it kind of depends on what he has on hand when I get down there :lol: One time he was out of soybean meal, so that made it a little harder to get the protein up. I usually shoot for a 14% protein on what I mix. It just depends on what you are trying to do. My normal mix includes corn, oats, soybean meal and molasses. I've had wheat bran, corn gluten, protein pellets and black oil sunflower seeds in there as well. TB could probably give you some help with how much of everything. The place that mixes mine will help you figure it out.

I have a grinder/mixer and make my own feed to supplement the calves that i buy in the fall. Up until the past year i could do it pretty cheap, but since everything has gotten so high, i don't realy think that I am saving any money. I think that i can buy bulk pre-mixed feed for about 50 to 75 a ton cheaper than i can make my own any more.

calfbuyer":13gllqqq said:
I have a grinder/mixer and make my own feed to supplement the calves that i buy in the fall. Up until the past year i could do it pretty cheap, but since everything has gotten so high, i don't realy think that I am saving any money. I think that i can buy bulk pre-mixed feed for about 50 to 75 a ton cheaper than i can make my own any more.
Buying in large volumes they can usually get the ingredients much cheaper than you and about teh only way to buy small amounts is to buy from them.

Latest posts