Homemade branding irons

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I had a set of number branding irons, up untill a few years ago, and they came up missing. I priced a few new sets online, and they were a little spendy. I've started making one number every night. Took last night off to watch the NFR. Maybe I'll finish. I gotta buy some round stock, for handles the rest of the ingredients, I should have.

BF- I have mad a few for people as novelty items. The bar that is used on chain link fence to connect the fence to the post at the end of a run is an excellent medium for making brand numbers and letters. It is galvanized so you have to be careful. I usually just stick it in my forge and burn off the galv and then cut and weld it.

Yours look good !

If those are hot irons I forsee possible issues with the backing on them. The could trap more heat and cause burns in places you don;t want them.

dun":6hmlq8dv said:
If those are hot irons I forsee possible issues with the backing on them. The could trap more heat and cause burns in places you don;t want them.

I thought about that, left an air gap in the 6/9. I hope it's enough. Be a pain if they blur. My store bought set weren't like that. I was afraid my flat stock would disorient over time if it wasn't held together good.

Get them up to branding temp then try to brand an old fuzzy blanket. That should show any issues

dun":26pfd7w3 said:
Get them up to branding temp then try to brand an old fuzzy blanket. That should show any issues

Thanks, hadn't thought of that.

8 leaves a little to be desired. Had to take some poetic license to get it down to 4 inches.

How wide of a gap did you leave where the circles intersect each other?

Latest posts