homemade pasture drag tutorial

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I started building a new drag today. My old one is in need of repair so I decided to do another one .
Step 1 3 rear tractor tires with holes drilled in the center tread. You ca use a hole saw for you drill.

A lenth of chain with rebar welded to the end.

Put the chain in the holes drillED on the backside of the one of the front 2 tires and then run the chain thru the 2 holes on the back tire then in the hole on the back side of the other front tire.

I will install the front chains and take pic tomorrow when o finish it . All I did today took about 30 min.

The next series of pics will show the final step. I have about an hour and a half in it. Scrap material and labor is the cost.

As you can see it does a decent job of spreading manure.

Very nice. Now I know what to do with all those tires I have around here. I bet if you made a few you could sell them very easily.

Why are you pulling it backwards?? My wife drive the kubota over our drag harrow with the spikes up. She only put holes in 2 of the tires.
And some how it was our fault. :dunce:

I guess I can't express what I am trying to ask very well. Yes I know the forks are on the rear of the tractor. My question was the 2 tires being in front of the one tire, why not pull it the other way?? Like the V to the front.

The original design was done this way by my grandfather in the 70's. That drag is the one I had that needed repairing. I did this one with the same layout. I suppose it could be pulled the other way and it might work the same.

M5farm":2irevpb3 said:
The original design was done this way by my grandfather in the 70's. That drag is the one I had that needed repairing. I did this one with the same layout. I suppose it could be pulled the other way and it might work the same.
M5 now if you just had that hot rod tractor someone posted on another thread you could cut your dragging time down by about 90%. ;-)

TexasBred":2xjdbnwh said:
M5farm":2xjdbnwh said:
M5 now if you just had that hot rod tractor someone posted on another thread you could cut your dragging time down by about 90%. ;-)

and eliminate my fences by 90% too.

M5farm":2ns7ra5v said:
TexasBred":2ns7ra5v said:
M5farm":2ns7ra5v said:

and eliminate my fences by 90% too.
So?
You could then do a How-To fencing tutorial next. :D

Nice set-up.
How big (or small) is the turn radius?
Do you think it will bounce over a few stumps ok?

I do enough fence work on the 40 to 60 yr old fences on my place.

Its not that hard to turn or a very wide radius. I usually lay off a land and do it that way so I don't have to turn really short. it would probably do ok on surface level stumps.