Home reared bull

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hello anyone keep a bull themselves? My dad always bought stud bulls we have some great calves I often think I should keep a yearling bull.

My neighbour has kept me a AI charolais bull from a roan hereford shorthorn cross cow. (3way) bull.

Live to see some pictures of your home bred bulls. Dave.

We raised and kept this bull. He was born last spring so he is almost a two year old. We plan to always raise our own bulls and not buy one from an outside source.
IMG_3257_zpse61b3398.jpg

I have three home made bulls right now but they are all meet the requirements to be registered. I wouldn't keep a crossbred bull unless it was a planned cross like balancer or sim-angus and then I'd want to have papers in hand on both parents to have an idea of what to expect.

Taurus":kinpr9i2 said:
I wish we could keep a bull out of our cows but then the bull is related to the herd.
A pied bull would be the best thing that ever happened to you. He'd teach you that there's more than one way to skin a cat and respect for others at the same time. :D

cow pollinater":32u4r42v said:
Taurus":32u4r42v said:
I wish we could keep a bull out of our cows but then the bull is related to the herd.
A pied bull would be the best thing that ever happened to you. He'd teach you that there's more than one way to skin a cat and respect for others at the same time. :D
I wish! But Piedmontese cattle are more thin-skinned, bad temperamental and highly sensitive to the bad jokes. These pieds probably won't get along with the black cows. They also will never forget the bad things you've done to them and will hold a grudge against you. ;-)

Taurus":2hyepmrg said:
cow pollinater":2hyepmrg said:
Taurus":2hyepmrg said:
I wish! But Piedmontese cattle are more thin-skinned, bad temperamental and highly sensitive to the bad jokes. These pieds probably won't get along with the black cows. They also will never forget the bad things you've done to them and will hold a grudge against you. ;-)
Good cowmen learn to deal with every kind of disposition in the best way. If you hurt the kind ones in your normal routine you won't stand a chance with the rank ones when it matters. ;-)

The 1st bull we kept from the beef herd
PC290102.jpg

This is the 3rd bull we raised & sold
260513andCarShow027.jpg

We breed our own bulls for the dairy herd the beef herd is a little bit different we don't have the space to raise too many bulls

No worries on the high jack. Thanks for all the great posts. Keep those pictures rolling in. I have a half limo half quarter angus and quarter freesian cow. She is going to calve to an angus I am tempted to keep the calf as a composite bull any thoughts?

OzssieDave19":6u6cd7d4 said:
No worries on the high jack. Thanks for all the great posts. Keep those pictures rolling in. I have a half limo half quarter angus and quarter freesian cow. She is going to calve to an angus I am tempted to keep the calf as a composite bull any thoughts?

do a little research on hybrid vigour, it will answer most of your questions.

Taurus":3gks26i1 said:
cow pollinater":3gks26i1 said:
Taurus":3gks26i1 said:
I wish! But Piedmontese cattle are more thin-skinned, bad temperamental and highly sensitive to the bad jokes. These pieds probably won't get along with the black cows. They also will never forget the bad things you've done to them and will :nod: hold a grudge against you.

:nod: And have low tolerance for buttwipes.

Taurus":17f2rjcm said:
cow pollinater":17f2rjcm said:
Taurus":17f2rjcm said:
Here is a "mean" Piedemontese bull being shown by a tiny little 76 year old lady:
URL=http://s864.photobucket.com/user/slick4591/media/sally_pied_zps1e1e6fde.jpg.html]
sally_pied_zps1e1e6fde.jpg
[/URL
]

CKC1586":jrpxydtt said:
Here is a "mean" Piedemontese bull being shown by a tiny little 76 year old lady:
URL=http://s864.photobucket.com/user/slick4591/media/sally_pied_zps1e1e6fde.jpg.html]
sally_pied_zps1e1e6fde.jpg
[/URL
]

Lovely! (The bulls too :banana: )

Thanks for the positive replies guys I really liked Rossco but he ended up liking the neighbours cattle more so we sold him on to a farm with 200 head to keep him busy :) We kept some nice heifers out of him though

Well, the nice thing about selling a bull to the neighbor is that you can always borrow him every once in a while LOL.

I'm sure you made the right choice for you. I would have had a hard time cuttin' that fella loose.

Latest posts