Home central air/heat thermostat ?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a 9 year old Honeywell TH4000 thermostat on my central unit. Works fine except the differential is too close. The diff is 1°. In other words, if I set the AC to 75°, if the inside temp rises one degree to 76°, the unit kicks on then kicks back on just a very few minutes later when the temp drops back down that single degree.

Same with heat, inversely kicking on when the temp drops 1° below the set temp.
Is there anyway to increase the differential, so the unit doesn't kick on and off so often?

I don't mind that the unit will run a little longer each cycle but I don't like the idea of the compressor having to start so many times each day. (house was built new in 2009--6" walls and well insulated)

GB I had an older Honeywell and it had a sensitivity adjustment for lack of a better term on the back. It was one of the old mercury switch models. I would think you would need something similar on digital models to stop short cycling.

The manual doesn't say anything about adjusting the on/off tolerances. Save yourself some trouble and just go get a Nest.

Your electric provider may have a program that will pay for a new thermostat. Most co-op's do. I agree with the get a Nest suggestion. That is probably what they will offer.

greybeard said:
I have a 9 year old Honeywell TH4000 thermostat on my central unit. Works fine except the differential is too close. The diff is 1°. In other words, if I set the AC to 75°, if the inside temp rises one degree to 76°, the unit kicks on then kicks back on just a very few minutes later when the temp drops back down that single degree.

Same with heat, inversely kicking on when the temp drops 1° below the set temp.
Is there anyway to increase the differential, so the unit doesn't kick on and off so often?

I don't mind that the unit will run a little longer each cycle but I don't like the idea of the compressor having to start so many times each day. (house was built new in 2009--6" walls and well insulated)

9 years old! How much has technology changed in every other tech world since then?
Get a new one for crying out loud!

sstterry said:
I am sure you have already checked, but dirty air filters can cause short cycling. Also, those pleated and allergenic filters can restrict airflow.
Yep, I change the filters 'religiously'.
Evap core is as clean and shiny as the day it was installed.