Holstein Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

josh90

Reaction score
I was just wondering at what age should I breed my holstein heifer, and what should I breed to her? Is it possible to breed a simmental, or a black angus to her? If so what would the calf look like? Just looking for some options, and she will probably be AI'd.

Thanks,
Josh

14 - 15 months if she's well grown out. Breed her to a calfing ease angus Red or black. For subsequent calves you can breed her to almost anything. Depends on the bull and the breed as to what the calves will look like.

How big is she?
Normally she could be bred at about 16 months.
For ease I would breed her to a low birth weight bull. You don't need to pull a calf or an expensive Vet bill. I would breed her to Black Angus and get a solid black calf. Or Hereford and get a black calf with a white face and white belly and feet.
Other breeds, like who knows what the calf will look like. The important thing is what ever breed you choose is CALVING EASE.

josh90":30a88o5c said:
What should I breed to her for the most profitable offspring?

Unless you have milk records on her dam, an Angus would probably be your best bet

josh90":1nhcnml4 said:
I was just wondering at what age should I breed my holstein heifer, and what should I breed to her? Is it possible to breed a simmental, or a black angus to her? If so what would the calf look like? Just looking for some options, and she will probably be AI'd.

Thanks,
Josh

15 months and if AI'ing use a calving ease Holstein sire.. PM me and I will give some to choose from...She is PB so use PB genetics unless you have no other options..

breed at 750 to 800lbs or 12 to 15 months old.breed her to what best suits your needs.but above all breed her to a calving ease bull.

Latest posts